Respected Contributor

Re: Makeup removing cleanser?

I found Garnier Skinactive The Gentle Sulfate Free cleanser at CVS and am really loving it! 

Trusted Contributor

@Mrsq2022,

If you shop at Walgreens, I can recommend three cleansers that I'm enjoying using, are reasonbly priced and don't have strong fragrance, if any.  One caveat, I don't use longwear makeup or waterproof mascara, so can't comment on how well these remove that type of makeup:

1.  Your Good Skin Comforting Gel Cleanser.  This is a gel oil cleanser.  It comes out of the tube a gel but then liquifies on your skin to become an oil cleanser.  Rinses off clean.  I always use a gentle foaming cleanser after this one since I have oily skin.

2.  Your Good Skin Nourishing Hot Cloth Cleanser.  This is a white creamy cleanser that comes with two thin cotton muslin washcloths.  I happen to prefer this cleanser to gel cleanser just because the creamy consistency feels more luxurious and the muslin washcloth does a great job.  Rinses off clean, no greasy residue, not really necessary to use a foaming cleanser after it like I usually do with an oil cleanser.

3.  Your Good Skin Calming Cream Cleanser is one that I use in the morning when I want to use a gentle cleanser.

Although the 'Your Good Skin' brand is an offshoot of Boots No. 7, the YGS products are not on the same shelf as the Boots No. 7 products in the Walgreens store.  And in my area, not all Walgreen stores carry the YGS product line.  The YGS line is available on the Walgreens website.

Another YGS toner that I adore is the Your Good Skin Active Treatment Tonic.  This is a 0.5% salicylic acid toner that I much, much prefer to Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA liquid.  The YGS toner is gentle and hydrating but not sticky/greasy like the PC 2% BHA toner.

Honored Contributor

I have never used Tarte rainforest cleanser.

I have found Clinique foaming face wash a wonderful cleanser. 

The other cleanser I love is Estée Lauder Perfect Clean face wash. Also a great face wash.

Clinique face wash is $27.00 Extra large tube (just came out with this tube)

Estée Lauder perfectly clean wash runs about $25.00.

Honored Contributor

@Suzeecat wrote:

I found Garnier Skinactive The Gentle Sulfate Free cleanser at CVS and am really loving it! 

I bought that too, but I have not yet used it.  Is that an effective makeup remover though?

I use Clinique Cleansing oil before a PTR or Cerave cleanser.  I also bought PTR cleansing butter, but I haven't tried it yet.  I always use a makeup remover of some form before a cleanser.

I was not sure the Garnier would truly remove makeup.  I bought it mainly as a cleanser after a makeup removal step.  The oil works really well by Clinique as does the cleansing balm.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Contributor

I use the bye bye makup cleanser.  Do you use a face cleanser after your make up remover?

Honored Contributor

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

I love tarte Rainforest of the Sea Deep Dive CleansingGel (A339843), but I think it's a little pricey.  Is here soemthing else more affordable that works like this?  I do not like Purity (burns my skin and eyes) and I always follow my makeup remover with a gentle cleanser (cerave) but prefer soemthign to sans skin with to remove even eye makeup.

Ive also used micellar water for several years but tired of going through so many cotton balls... would prefer a creamy ke gel makeup removing cleanser that is relatively inexpensive.

suggestions appreciated!  Otherwise might go for the supersize on their website for $36... will pricey as I pay $10 for my cerave gentle cleanser and feel there would be another drugstore option under $20...

@Mrsq2022  I’ve found an oil cleanser removes my makeup thoroughly & especially eye makeup (even waterproof liner). For an inexpensive version, organic coconut oil in a huge jar works great. After using washcloth to remove makeup that’s been dissolved, skin is left soft & moisturized. 

Trusted Contributor

@tbird Yes, I cleanse with a very gentle fragrance free cleaner afternoon I remove my makeup.  I wear a full face of makeup and seed a separate makeup remover.  Bye bye makeup sounds good.  I am hopeful to find something inexpensive to remove my makeup however since I do cleanse after with either cerave or PTR if I feel I need something stronger with anti-aging properties.  I'm jus trying looking for a drugstores makeup remover cleanser for that step which doesn't require extra towels, cotton balls or washcloth.  That is what I like about the Tarte cleanser.  I may just buy the supersize from their site as it's $36 for 10oz

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@winamac1 wrote:

@Suzeecat wrote:

I bought that too, but I have not yet used it.  Is that an effective makeup remover though?

I use Clinique Cleansing oil before a PTR or Cerave cleanser.  I also bought PTR cleansing butter, but I haven't tried it yet.  I always use a makeup remover of some form before a cleanser.

I was not sure the Garnier would truly remove makeup.  I bought it mainly as a cleanser after a makeup removal step.  The oil works really well by Clinique as does the cleansing balm.

It removes all my makeup completely, including eye makeup like liner and mascara.  It's also gentle around the eyes.

Honored Contributor

@Suzeecat wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@Suzeecat wrote:

It removes all my makeup completely, including eye makeup like liner and mascara.  It's also gentle around the eyes.

@Suzeecat

Thanks!  I need to try that.   Most cleansers I use, do not fully remove makeup.  

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Trusted Contributor

The only makeup remover I've found that removes every single trace of makeup without drying my skin is DHC cleansing oil.  It only takes about the size of a dime of the palm in my hand and my heaviest makeup, including waterproof mascara, is gone without a trace and my skin is soft and smooth.