Esteemed Contributor

Re: Makeup recommendations for young girl

Bare minerals makes some great little eye kits. If they is what she wants that is what I would get also. 

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I don't think that a mascara named Better Than Sex would disturb or bother a 14-year-old girl. She'd probably chuckle and then forget it.

At that age I think it would be a little embarrassing. If she was 16 I would think different. I don't think I would want my 14 yo with a mascara with that name. Plus it's s real volumizing mascara which would probably be to much for a 14 yo.

I would also skip a foundation. It's to personal and hard to know which one would work. Look for s tinted moisturizer.

She probably does not need volumizing, but she could use it lightly if it's part of kit, or just skip it. Other than that, no problem as far as I'm concerned. A 14-year-old girl knows what sex is. I don't think it would faze most at that age.

We will have to agree to disagree.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Go get her a facial from Sephora, Ulta or the Clinique counter. They will type her skin and get her into a skin care regime to take proper care of her skin and get her a foundation type good for her skin type. The stores will have a variety of foundations and skin care lines to choose from, but you may not have one in your area. My mother took my sister and myself to Clinique for our birthday. We didn't have a lot of spare money, but it was our birthday present, at 14, and taught us a great deal. My granny also contributed so we could get the basic skin care items and a foundation to start us. We got our eyes, lips, cheeks and setting powders at WalMart/Drugstores because they were cheaper and we knew what to look for since we had be educated.

Bare Minerals is good, but if she has dryer skin, it won't work quite as well or look as good for people that have oilier skin since BM is powder based. Everyday Minerals, everydayminerals dot com, is another mineral makeup company for a fraction of the price. Ulta has a sale on Bare Minearals starter kit http://www.ulta.com/get-started-complexion-kit?productId=xlsImpprod6330325
Esteemed Contributor

I agree with those who say to get her what she asked for.   What we adults like and think is great is not necessarily what the kids want and think is great.   Unless she threw out that brand as something to say, if she is looking forward to getting that she will be disappointed to get something else.

Respected Contributor

Bare Minerals is a little pricey for a 14 year old.  All my friends started out in the 5 & 10, then graduated to the drugstore.

Honored Contributor

@muttmom wrote:

Bare Minerals is a little pricey for a 14 year old.  All my friends started out in the 5 & 10, then graduated to the drugstore.

@muttmom, the five and ten? Oh, we are dating ourselves, for sure.:-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

The 5 & 10 has become the $ store due to inflation!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@Ceci wrote:

My granddaughter is 14 and is now allowed to use some makeup. She has requested Bare Minerals but I would like other suggestions.

She's very fair, redhead, freckles and blue eyes. Her skin is very light.

Personally, I have never liked Bare Minerals but don't know what to get her. I'd like to put together a few pieces of makeup, blush, lipstick/gloss, some simple eye makeup and maye a light foundation/powder.

Thanks!

Unless she has problem skin, I'd steer her away from foundation ..... freckles are not a bad thing, and nothing beats a fresh young face!   I'd focus her more on some pretty... but not heavy.... eye colors.... shadows and liner, and soft lips.  I think that taupe shadows and a light brown liner would emphasize those baby blues (but others might have great suggestions).  Maybe one of the naked palettes?  

If she needs color on her cheeks, a stain might be good.... it wouldn't cover up her beautiful skin!  Rather, it would just add a little color.  

I agree with starting with some drugstore picks, if those work for her.  Otherwise, Mac and Urban Decay for eyes, and and Benefit for their cheek and lip tints are some brands to choose from.  And Bare Minerals, of course, since that's what she asked about.   

Valued Contributor

Thank you!

Wish I knew how to post a pic of her.

Valued Contributor

The name would probably bother my daughter! This will be the first time for makeup, frankly neither of us thinks she needs it. She's a very natural beauty and that red hair is incredible.

However, she is copying the other girls. This doesn't seem to be a way to attract boys but rather to fit in with the girls in school. They are all wearing makeup.

She won't be allowed to wear anything too noticeable. I don't think my daughter would allow her to use eye shadow.

Who knows!