Super Contributor

I haven't reached 70 yet (hopefully I will someday) but I do change my makeup routine now and then. I find that much of the time what I really need is to up my skincare game. That way I need less makeup to begin with. Using a good chemical peel or some kind of exfoliation, at least a couple of times a week, keeps any dark spots away and lessens lines. It gives me a glow again.

I rarely wear foundation but I do wear the IT Illumination CC Cream as a sun screen. The shade that I use blends in well with my skin. I much prefer that product because it also kind of evens out my skin tone.

Skincare is what I concentrate on. If you do that right then not much more is necessary except a little definition around the eyes and some facial contour. We do start to lose definition in our face as we age. My eyes, in particular, have started to become less noticeable. I have light hair to begin with so my eyes and eyebrows can kind of seem to disappear.

Esteemed Contributor

I have very light skin, don't really tan, green eyes, and silver hair.  Mature combo skin, no wrinkles. However, need some color and definition and something to perk up the eye area. . 

California is dry dry dry. I start with Josie Maran's argan oil. Matte doesn't work for me anymore except as light blotting powder mid-day. I like this foundation by IT Cosmetics. Fair Neutral 10.5. I dot it on then blend out with a sponge. A rosy cream blush works best for me and a creamy neutral eye shadow (Bobbi Brown) . Then I take a dark eye shadow and dot under my eyes with a pointed brush since my bottom eye lashes are sparse. Eyeliner just seems too harsh. I don't like mascara (seasonal allergies). My eyebrows have stayed dark. 

When we emerge without masks (June 15'th) I can use my IT lip balm in Honey. Don't use lip liner or heavy lipstick anymore either. 

Your Skin But Better Foundation + Skincare

Je Ne Sais Quoi Hydrating Lip Balm Treatment 

Sometimes less IS more. Never skip the skincare at night and don't sleep in your makeup no matter how tired you are  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

I wear foundation every day.  My skin is amazing for a woman my age (near 70) and other than some fine expression lines in the corner of my eyes, the rest of my face defies my age.  I simply like the way my skin feels with a foundation on, so I opt to wear it.  I'm not caking it on though.  My application is four little dots (forehead, chin, both cheeks) blended with a brush and smoothed with a Beauty Blender sponge.  Estee Lauder Double Wear is still my favorite, but for the past year, I've been wearing Mented's Stick Foundation more often.  I have never been a big fan of blush and didn't wear it at all under a mask.  Now that I can blush again I'll go back to using Laura Geller's Bronze-n- Brighten, or one of her Baked blushes (Apricot Berry and Pink Grapefruit are favorites). My everyday eye makeup is usually Bobbi Brown's Camel eyeshadow and a deeper soft brown with a vanilla or golden color used to highlight. I line my eyes more often than not and usually go for a navy. I always wear mascara and for me, it's Lancome.  Lip color is my favorite makeup item and although just for my own satisfaction I wore it under face coverings, I'm thrilled to be able to show it again!

@spent2much  I have used all of the Lancome mascaras and they are all fabulous in their own way, but there are also some similarities in results that could be confusing. Which one is best for you depends on how you want your lashes to look.  I like thick curled lashes and do not wear false eyelashes so Grandiose is my favorite. I also like Hypnose Drama for when I want thickness, but the length and fanned-out curl are not necessary. For a natural no-mascara look, Definicils is a must-have.  Those are the three I buy.  The others I got to try because they were in a set or a GWP.  

Respected Contributor

@fairydogmother Good for you for pairing down.  I have not worn foundation in probably 20 years now.  I only wear a lipgloss  or lipstick and mascara.  My mom always said, less is more.  She always looked fresh and had a beautiful complexion and only wore Revlon lipstick.  My mom passed at 84 and nurses always commented they could not believe she was that age.  As a child thru adulthood, I can only remember her using Ponds cold cream too.  Happy birthday!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@tucsongal 

My good skincare routine has given me a lovely complexion and I have cut back to skin tint and like yesterday only a mattifying primer, a light pink lip balm, lashes and a swipe of light tan e/s.  However, I will continue to wear skin tint and foundation depending on the circumstances.  If I'm going to the Morton H Meyerson Symphony Hall in Dallas (haven't been in 20 years so I doubt I'll be making an appearance there any time soon!) I'm going to go full glam.

Honored Contributor

DON'T AT THE MIRROR TOO CLOSELY !!!!!

I have to look in a lighten 10X mirror to find pesky whiskers that I can feel but can't see.  Makes me question all the money and effort I've spent on skin care over the last 18 months Smiley Surprised  I wonder if anyone can look in a 10X mirror and say they like what they see??  I'm probably setting myself up for failure if that's a goal lol

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I was seeing just how "commando" (makeup wise) I could go and look nice Smiley Happy (and just went to mom's.)

Honored Contributor

@Trix 

Sounds beautiful!

Respected Contributor

Interesting read...

My skin actually looks worse than pre-pandemic. I wore no make up and used good products during the past year. The only thing I changed was use Neutorgena face wipes as my cleanser rather than my usual. My face is now drier, flakier and has a couple of small eczema patches.

So back to my normal cleaning, care and foundation. Aveno eczema cream has helped. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus   I use to wear black all the time.  I have gray eyes so they change color with what I am wearing.  I like the brown which is usually a black/brown or dark brown because it is more natural look for day time.  My hair is salt & pepper.  Clinique has two brown mascaras and I just found another co. that carries it.  I always wear a light coverage product for my face, a little blush and lipstick or lip balm.  Even at 71 I enjoy a little makeup because to me it tells everyone you care about yourself.  I can't believe how many women in my bldg. wear no makeup and look a real sight!!!

kindness is strength