Honored Contributor

Re: Makeup overhaul

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@tucsongal wrote:

I don’t know why but it always surprises me when I see how many women still wear foundation. With such a good skin care available I bet a lot of people would look great without it, maybe with just a little concealer. 

@tucsongal  My T zone is reddish and has been for many years. I wear foundation on nose and chin so my face all looks one color.

@proudlyfromNJ   Have you tried using a creamy concealer in those areas instead of foundation? I always have two in my arsenal. I have a lighter one for under eyes and one that's skin tone correct. I think maybe a concealer would give you a lighter looking coverage.

Honored Contributor

I am 62 with combination skin, I still wear foundation because I have some melasma on my forehead, so I wear in most cases a little of Lancome's Teint Idole, love it,it is super lightweight, yet covers and you need just a little bit! Since I have an oily tzone, especially in summer I wear a bit of Dermablends Illuminating Powder, or Mineral Veil, some brow pencil, mascara, and blush and thats it! I always have on lip color as well, or I don't feel finished! I think depending on your skn type and also applying with a very ligh hand you can still look good wearing foundation!

Respected Contributor

@fairydogmother great topic. I'm 69 1/2, after developing glaucoma, having retina hole and tear, and very severe 

allergies I had to give up eye makeup except brows.

At first I felt really awful, very self conscious around people. I always wore shadows, liner mascara.

What a relief. My eyes feel so much better. I do wear a bit of foundation,  it with spf and blush and lipstick.

I'm truly starting to like myself without eye makeup.

I also don't use shimmer.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I am partial to tinted moisturizers or any lightweight facial product.  Your skin can see thru and nothing is heavy.  A little brown mascara for day time use and some lipstick or balm.  I also like a little blush.  That's it.

@Katcat1   Brown mascara is difficult to find. Have you ever tried black for more definition? My hair's silver, fair skin, green eyes and I need the black mascara to make my lashes look thicker and my eyes more defined. 

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

If I had really nice skin the way a lot of you ladies seem to, I wouldn't wear any foundation or makeup on my skin either.  However, if you do have some issues, you don't feel comfortable or your best when you go out in the world with nothing on your face but moisturizer!  I have the dreaded rosacea, which has brought me a whole host of issues.  Redness, broken caps, spots, unevent skin tone, blemishes, etc!  It's very disheartening!  You don't want to cover up too much because this just accentuates lines and other issues of aging!  But you hate these things to be a focus of your complexion!!!  Uneven skin, redness, etc. is aging as well!  And having very sensitive skin which limits the products and treatments you can use is also a big issue!  I struggle daily with what to do and use.   If I had good skin, I'd be thrilled to not wear foundation of any kind!  I am envious of you healthy skin ladies!  

@AngelPuppy1   When I do makeup on women with your issues, I use a foundation stick with a fluffy brush (less irritating to sensitive skin) and after covering those areas, a tinted moisturizer with some coverage and a concealer, too where needed.  You may want to try a makeup routine form Jane Iredale, recommended by derms for sensitive skin. Almay and Clinique are also good choices. I'd find a mineral spf to wear, too. 

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@fairydogmother 

What a beautiful and effortless look you described!

Not that I was ever heavy handed, but I pared down, too - a medium tone lip color, Bye Bye Pores (or the Ready To Wear powder is excellent, too), easy on the eyes for some definition, and natural color for a bit of face sculpting.

I, also do not like a matte, dry look, or tons of eye makeup. After a while, your tastes change.

@Harpa   I'd use a cream blush (or lipstick) to give the face a little bit of "dewey" on the cheeks if you want to cut the matte look of powder. 

Valued Contributor

I agree with comment about foundation making you look old.  I'm 51 and went without foundation since mask wearing started and my skin looked much more luminous without foundation.  Yes, it evens my skin tone but it also accenuates the wrinkles I have. Even the tinted moistuizers and foundations supposedly made for mature skin doesn't do me any favors- they make my skin look greasy as opposed to moisturized.  I'm going sans foundation from now on and sticking with minimal eye makeup, blush and lip gloss.

Trusted Contributor

I don't wear foundation on a daily basis, but feel more confident when I wear it for "out in public" occasions.  I have VERY uneven skin tone and sun damage that I choose to cover for my own self confidence.  Nothing heavy, often BB cream, is just right for me.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

I cut down on my stuff earlier. I prefer a simple fresh look. With a tinted moisturizer. I only put bronzer in the crease with a single shadow on the lid that brightens things up. If I needed anything right now I would love to try the Laura Geller baked products but I don’t need anything. The foundation looks great. I am really liking the products that have bronzer, blush, and highlighter all in one. Can use that on the eyes too. Maybe when I finish the two tinted moisturizers I have I will try the Laura Geller baked foundation. The big compact she  has on qvc now with the bronzer,  blush and highlight looks so pretty.

@ccassaday   I'm always hesitant to wear a powder foundation...even Laura Geller's who says it goes to a cream. I just don't feel when we're "older", we need to cover our entire face..wrinkles are exaggerated and no one, not even teens, have a complexion that's all one color with no "flaws". 

@Shanus But it does work for some.  Wrinkles aren't a problem for me even though I'm officially "older" but concealer and a powder or brushed on powder foundation selectively used doesn't run and settle into pores like a liquid or a stick--which is often too moist for the hot and often humid days.

A lot of makeup strategy depends on where you live and the heat and humidity factor--which makes life a lot harder around here for looking nice in the summer!  Woman Wink  

It's a whole different ballgame (and congrats to the Sooner Women for their softball championship yesterday! Woman Very Happy)

Respected Contributor

Re: Makeup overhaul

[ Edited ]

Since working from home,  I stopped using any foundation (mineral), but sometimes use Perricone tinted moisturizer.  I ALWAYS do my eyes....  lid primer, shadows, liner, lash primer, mascaras.  Concealer/corrector a must as well as is blush and a lipstick or tint.  I have such fun putting it all on and sometimes change my blush and lip colors.  I'm normally pretty true to my shadows.  

We are probably going back to the office after Labor Day and I don't plan on pulling out the foundation.  It feels so much better with just a good moisturizer and sometimes a little tint in it, with a spot touch up concealer, as I face the world!