Honored Contributor

@granddi 

Every skincare expert I watch on YT says facial wipes are terrible for cleansing your face.  I wonder tho if they mean using that as your only cleaner or as a pre-cleaner?  I've used them for years to clean off most of my makeup before I cleansed.  Now that I use oil as my first cleansing step, I'm not using the face wipes except to clean up a little mascara smudging under my eyes.  

Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother 

Happy early birthday!

Yout routine sounds lovely.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I use Laura Geller B&B which is easy and does cover some without being heavy.  I know that what you have listed probably works very well when a person is experienced and is patient, of which I am neither (LOL).  You mentioned using a foundation stick with a fluffy brush -- doesn't this keep the foundation from applying smoothly?  I don't have good luck with trying to apply cream or liquid foundations with a brush.  Thanks! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

Interesting read...

My skin actually looks worse than pre-pandemic. I wore no make up and used good products during the past year. The only thing I changed was use Neutorgena face wipes as my cleanser rather than my usual. My face is now drier, flakier and has a couple of small eczema patches.

So back to my normal cleaning, care and foundation. Aveno eczema cream has helped. 

@granddi Facial wipes leave a film on the skin. They're OK once in awhile for a cleanse when you're too tired to use a cleanser at the sink, but yes, long time use will have a negative impact on complexions. 

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Shanus   I use to wear black all the time.  I have gray eyes so they change color with what I am wearing.  I like the brown which is usually a black/brown or dark brown because it is more natural look for day time.  My hair is salt & pepper.  Clinique has two brown mascaras and I just found another co. that carries it.  I always wear a light coverage product for my face, a little blush and lipstick or lip balm.  Even at 71 I enjoy a little makeup because to me it tells everyone you care about yourself.  I can't believe how many women in my bldg. wear no makeup and look a real sight!!!

@Katcat1   Your grey eyes must be gorgeous...rare, for sure. 

Funny that you mention it, but we went out for dinner last night and there were only a handful of women wearing ANY makeup. I do feel a swipe of blush and gloss perks up most women. 

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@granddi 

Every skincare expert I watch on YT says facial wipes are terrible for cleansing your face.  I wonder tho if they mean using that as your only cleaner or as a pre-cleaner?  I've used them for years to clean off most of my makeup before I cleansed.  Now that I use oil as my first cleansing step, I'm not using the face wipes except to clean up a little mascara smudging under my eyes.  

@monicakm   I mentioned this in another post here. Facial wipes do leave a film behind. I use almond oil on a q tip to clean up any leftover mascara smudges. Since I do eye makeup first, using that oil/q tip to erase any fallout from shadow also adds extra moisture under my eyes before I add my skincare. I also use almond oil in the morning...there sometimes is a bit of mascara under my eyes, even if I don't see it. A swipe of the oiled q tip surprises me with a bit of eye makeup left over from the night before.

***I have stopped using eye makeup remover...too much pulling with the cotton pad. I now rely on my cleansing oil to remove face and eye makeup. 

Trusted Contributor

I think always a great idea to purge the old make up.  As trends change the old styles etc can be aging.

I am always surprised at how many people, on say insta gram and social media post showing make up looks, just squirt liquid fondation directly on their face! LOL

I think any kind of blanket one color foundation looks weird on any age.  

Lauren Hutton had a great make up line.  I think it doesn't exist anymore but her advice was good-- spot coverage where needed and just your skin where it's good, looks best.

I am not in my 70's (40's) but I have avoided all over face powder and powdered blush for a long time.  I will put some mineral powder over concealer to help it set but otherwise I keep it dewey.

I would think, especially, in florida -- dewey is naturally occurring so best to go with it.  LOL!

Honored Contributor

Re: Makeup overhaul

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Shanus 

I use Laura Geller B&B which is easy and does cover some without being heavy.  I know that what you have listed probably works very well when a person is experienced and is patient, of which I am neither (LOL).  You mentioned using a foundation stick with a fluffy brush -- doesn't this keep the foundation from applying smoothly?  I don't have good luck with trying to apply cream or liquid foundations with a brush.  Thanks! 

@AngelPuppy1  Good Saturday morning. I swipe the face stick on my face in areas where I need extra coverage....forehead, around nose, a few spots of lower jaw line (left side from car window). I use the BB Full Coverage Face brush to lightly blend that stick into my tinted moisturizer. The trick is have your skin properly hydrated before you apply the stick foundation. It will then glide smoothly across your skin no matter what brush you use. I will say that the BB Foundation Stick is very lightweight, but buildable which makes the application easier. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Makeup overhaul

[ Edited ]

@justashopper wrote:

I think always a great idea to purge the old make up.  As trends change the old styles etc can be aging.

I am always surprised at how many people, on say insta gram and social media post showing make up looks, just squirt liquid fondation directly on their face! LOL

I think any kind of blanket one color foundation looks weird on any age.  

Lauren Hutton had a great make up line.  I think it doesn't exist anymore but her advice was good-- spot coverage where needed and just your skin where it's good, looks best.

I am not in my 70's (40's) but I have avoided all over face powder and powdered blush for a long time.  I will put some mineral powder over concealer to help it set but otherwise I keep it dewey.

I would think, especially, in florida -- dewey is naturally occurring so best to go with it.  LOL!

@justashopper   I remember Lauren Hutton's wheel of shades and color correctors. She was on the ball with skin not being one shade all over. I still do makeup in a similar way,,,lighter under eyes and in the middle of the face and a bit darker towards the perimeter of the face. The center of the face is naturally highlighted. No one has the same shade all over and using one shade of makeup can look mask like or flat. It also means adding back more contours to the face...more work and time.  

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus 

Yes!!  you said that much better than I did.  LOL

Thanks!!