Respected Contributor

Being mature with some deeper wrinkles I have had to change my makeup routine too.  Foundation definitely finds those wrinkles and jumps into them.  I have taken selfies before makeup and after and I definitely look better with some makeup on.  I have been throwing out stuff left and right and trying to be very careful and selective of what I buy from now on.  I found an old compact of Wander beauty powder foundation and while not my holy grail, it does make me look better not worse. I still have an oily t zone and the heat and humidity of Florida makes it worse so anything liquid or creamy does not work for me.  It is a challenge to find things that work for mature skin.   

Honored Contributor

If I had really nice skin the way a lot of you ladies seem to, I wouldn't wear any foundation or makeup on my skin either.  However, if you do have some issues, you don't feel comfortable or your best when you go out in the world with nothing on your face but moisturizer!  I have the dreaded rosacea, which has brought me a whole host of issues.  Redness, broken caps, spots, unevent skin tone, blemishes, etc!  It's very disheartening!  You don't want to cover up too much because this just accentuates lines and other issues of aging!  But you hate these things to be a focus of your complexion!!!  Uneven skin, redness, etc. is aging as well!  And having very sensitive skin which limits the products and treatments you can use is also a big issue!  I struggle daily with what to do and use.   If I had good skin, I'd be thrilled to not wear foundation of any kind!  I am envious of you healthy skin ladies!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

@fairydogmother 

What a beautiful and effortless look you described!

Not that I was ever heavy handed, but I pared down, too - a medium tone lip color, Bye Bye Pores (or the Ready To Wear powder is excellent, too), easy on the eyes for some definition, and natural color for a bit of face sculpting.

I, also do not like a matte, dry look, or tons of eye makeup. After a while, your tastes change.

Esteemed Contributor

@fairydogmother 

I got my Lancome the other day (from HSN special) and dumped all the other mascara that had not been used in months.

A little blush, mascara, brow fill in and lipstick and I'm done.

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@fairydogmother 

I got my Lancome the other day (from HSN special) and dumped all the other mascara that had not been used in months.

A little blush, mascara, brow fill in and lipstick and I'm done.

Yes!! That's a great, simple routine. But probably looks polished. I LOVE Lancôme products.

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

@Shanus 

Thank you. July 7 is the big day. Re: cream based makeup when it's in the 90s as it is now, so far so good. I don't spend a lot of time outside in the summer. We go to the beach but I don't wear any product except sunscreen. 
Do you have a recommendation for a fine milled lightweight setting powder? Might be good to have in hand. 

@fairydogmother    Of course, I do. Lol.  I prefer Laura Mercier's Setting Powder. I use 2 powders: LM does a white one (invisible on my fair skin and on fair/light skin) and her Under Eye Brightening Powder ( a wonderfuul finely milled powder, too that sets concealer and brightens the area). The under eye powder comes in a smaller container. Both are loose allowing you to tap off your brush and use a little bit. The powder for the face (maybe just t zone) also comes in a translucent shade if you have light/medium or darker skin. *** Both of my powders have lasted 2 yrs. and I still have about 1/3 in the containers, so the initial expense is worth every penny. 

We both have July birthdays...mine is the 20th. I'll be 73!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Makeup overhaul

[ Edited ]

@jannabelle1 wrote:

I'm 73 and haven't used foundation for years. I prefer a tinted moisturizer, and have been using L'Oreal BB tinted for awhile now and really like it. I use only a small amount, and follow it up with a little creamy under eye concealer, a swipe of blush on each cheek and a little eye shadow (powder) and use the darkest color in my small palette as a liner - and then some Lancome mascara. I've been thinking of dumping the powder shadow for the creamy sticks....need to do that! Overall, my skin is in good shape (IMO), and at my age I know that a lighter hand is better than a heavy hand when it comes to makeup!

@jannabelle1   I'm loving your makeup routine. At our age, cream products and a lighter hand are more flattering. If you choose cream shadow sticks, Bobbi Brown and Laura Mercier make wonderful ones that don't crease and are waterproof. Cover Girl also does shadow sticks, but not sure if those are waterproof.

Honored Contributor

Re: Makeup overhaul

[ Edited ]

@ccassaday wrote:

I cut down on my stuff earlier. I prefer a simple fresh look. With a tinted moisturizer. I only put bronzer in the crease with a single shadow on the lid that brightens things up. If I needed anything right now I would love to try the Laura Geller baked products but I don’t need anything. The foundation looks great. I am really liking the products that have bronzer, blush, and highlighter all in one. Can use that on the eyes too. Maybe when I finish the two tinted moisturizers I have I will try the Laura Geller baked foundation. The big compact she  has on qvc now with the bronzer,  blush and highlight looks so pretty.

@ccassaday   I'm always hesitant to wear a powder foundation...even Laura Geller's who says it goes to a cream. I just don't feel when we're "older", we need to cover our entire face..wrinkles are exaggerated and no one, not even teens, have a complexion that's all one color with no "flaws". 

Respected Contributor

@cuddlesmama great idea.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

I don't know that I'll ever wear foundation again when there is Fenty Skin Tint.  Now today, all I put on my face is The Orindary's primer.  It blurred and mattified.  Complexion is nice so to just go to mom's it was perfect with some pink lip tint, lashes and a swipe of a natural e/s.  Not even blush!

@monicakm   I always need blush!!!