Respected Contributor

Makeup overhaul

[ Edited ]

As I approach my 70th 😳 birthday, Ive become acutely aware that my makeup routine is aging me. Too many dry, matte products. Even a liquid foundation looks dry on my skin, the longer it's on. Here in Florida I'm finding that less makeup is preferable. So today I purged the products that I will never use again.  My new best look is this:

the three highlighter sticks by Glamsquad. With just these items, mascara, brow powder and lipstick, I can achieve a polished glowing finish. It takes only a minute to apply the radiance sticks. They aren't glittery or too shimmery. Just a subtle dewy glow. One is white, goes in the inner corner of my eyes and above the brows for a lifted look. The Luminous Rose goes on my upper cheekbones. The light bronze stick goes just under my cheekbones and I swipe across my forehead and jawline, also on eyelids if I feel like it. All of this enhances my tan. Nothing there to emphasize my wrinkles which are most pronounced around my eyes. This is such a liberating feeling-a fast face which I believe is flattering in it's simplicity. 
Sidebar: I also boxed up all the clothes that I think look like "old lady retired in Florida" for donation. Haha. How many tropical 🌴 prints does a woman need, seriously. 

Would be interested in hearing from my peers about their current makeup and beauty routines. 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

I don’t know why but it always surprises me when I see how many women still wear foundation. With such a good skin care available I bet a lot of people would look great without it, maybe with just a little concealer. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Makeup overhaul

[ Edited ]

@fairydogmother   Congrats for the makeup overhaul. Cream products are the way to go. I changed to no foundation, cream blush, lip gloss and concealer in my early 60's. 

I'm not sure how your cream products will hold up in that FL heat and humidity. You may need a bit of finely milled setting powder in a few areas.

* Happy Birthday in advance. 

Respected Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

As I approach my 70th 😳 birthday, Ive become acutely aware that my makeup routine is aging me. Too many dry, matte products. Even a liquid foundation looks dry on my skin, the longer it's on. Here in Florida I'm finding that less makeup is preferable. So today I purged the products that I will never use again.  My new best look is this:

the three highlighter sticks by Glamsquad. With just these items, mascara, brow powder and lipstick, I can achieve a polished glowing finish. It takes only a minute to apply the radiance sticks. They aren't glittery or too shimmery. Just a subtle dewy glow. One is white, goes in the inner corner of my eyes and above the brows for a lifted look. The Luminous Rose goes on my upper cheekbones. The light bronze stick goes just under my cheekbones and I swipe across my forehead and jawline, also on eyelids if I feel like it. All of this enhances my tan. Nothing there to emphasize my wrinkles which are most pronounced around my eyes. This is such a liberating feeling-a fast face which I believe is flattering in it's simplicity. 
Sidebar: I also boxed up all the clothes that I think look like "old lady retired in Florida" for donation. Haha. How many tropical 🌴 prints does a woman need, seriously. 

Would be interested in hearing from my peers about their current makeup and beauty routines. 

I experienced the same thing at around 70 .. even stuff that I only had a few

months looked awful.... same thing pared down .... keep it simple .. and

DON'T AT THE MIRROR TOO CLOSELY !!!!!

I live in FL. also ....agree about the clothes ....

Honored Contributor

Gotta have foundation to protect my skin from impurities in the air.  I use Perricone No foundation Foundation (not the serum but the original).  It's not just a covering foundation but actual skin care if used consistently.  Is not heavy and my skin looks and fees natural and glowing!  Without that protective layer on my skin, it would be itchy, red and awful looking no matter how many great skin care products I used.

Honored Contributor

I quit wearing foundation when the pandemic required masks....I doubt I will EVER wear it again.  So nice to just let my skin breath...sunscreen and a bit of bisque bare mineral powder on a couple of areas and that is it.

I think a person gets addicted to foundation and Thinks They need it when really you do not. It just ages you more settling into wrinkles 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm 73 and haven't used foundation for years. I prefer a tinted moisturizer, and have been using L'Oreal BB tinted for awhile now and really like it. I use only a small amount, and follow it up with a little creamy under eye concealer, a swipe of blush on each cheek and a little eye shadow (powder) and use the darkest color in my small palette as a liner - and then some Lancome mascara. I've been thinking of dumping the powder shadow for the creamy sticks....need to do that! Overall, my skin is in good shape (IMO), and at my age I know that a lighter hand is better than a heavy hand when it comes to makeup!

Respected Contributor

@Shanus 

Thank you. July 7 is the big day. Re: cream based makeup when it's in the 90s as it is now, so far so good. I don't spend a lot of time outside in the summer. We go to the beach but I don't wear any product except sunscreen. 
Do you have a recommendation for a fine milled lightweight setting powder? Might be good to have in hand. 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden   Yes I agree you become dependent on foundation. Like a drug. Lol. But at my age most of them look masky. 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

@jannabelle1  I bet you look very pretty with the routine you described. By the way I use Lancôme mascara exclusively. I'm on an every three month auto delivery with their website. Best mascara I've ever used. 

Harmonize the World