Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

This is such a nice post!  I wish I could try all of these products because I am currently searching for something new to use.

I noticed that some of you mention that you use a powder after your foundation and some don't.  For those of you who don't, do you have problems with your face looking too shiny?  I deal with this.  I do not have oily skin at all, but it seems if I use just foundation (liquid --- powder foundation seems to dry on me) that my skin appears too shiny.  Don't get me wrong --- a little sheen to the skin looks younger I think, as opposed to dull, flat matte, doesn't it?  But I need a little something extra to cut the shine without settling in lines.  Just wondering how you handle this issue??  In my perfect world, I would have a foundation that gives some coverage (not a mask), has a bit of light in it, but doesn't appear shiny or greasy --- and there would be no need to use powder on top.  I guess I am dreaming?  

@AngelPuppy1

Back in the day when I used a liquid foundation, and sometimes a creak blush and cream shadow,  it was always necessary to "set" the makeup with a light translucent powder.  Not only did it look more "flawless" (although I don't have flawless skin), but it prevented makeup smearing, which you just can't avoid with wet makeup.   

Hasn't anyone ever seen a woman give a quick hug and she leaves his shirt or suit jacket smeared with her makeup?  It's awful!

Although I've switched over to mineral makeup (in which I mix various brands and colors myself, depending on season and sun exposure), I think some sort of light translucent-type powder is really necessary to set liquid makeup.  

Respected Contributor

I have not used many of Ulta's own brand of cosmetics.  The other day I picked up the eye primer in nude color to hold eyeshadow on.  I have used urban decay and other expensive brands and they were just okay but this holds eyeshadow like glue.  It looked the same at the end of the day.  I was shocked.  Then I was looking at their foundation and there was one that was demi matte and no parabens with sunscreen and it felt nice on my hand.  It got very good ratings.  I did not have time to really search out a color but I think I might try it.  I am 66 with some lines, large pores and oily tzone.  Finding something that does not dive into the wrinkles and pores is hard.

Respected Contributor

I could never buy a foundation, blush etc. without trying it on and wearing it first. When it's time, or I get the urge for new makeup, I go to the store. try it on, wear it while I continue shopping, check what it looks like outside. If I like the way it feels and looks, and it doesn't change while it's on, I go back and buy it. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

This is such a nice post!  I wish I could try all of these products because I am currently searching for something new to use.

I noticed that some of you mention that you use a powder after your foundation and some don't.  For those of you who don't, do you have problems with your face looking too shiny?  I deal with this.  I do not have oily skin at all, but it seems if I use just foundation (liquid --- powder foundation seems to dry on me) that my skin appears too shiny.  Don't get me wrong --- a little sheen to the skin looks younger I think, as opposed to dull, flat matte, doesn't it?  But I need a little something extra to cut the shine without settling in lines.  Just wondering how you handle this issue??  In my perfect world, I would have a foundation that gives some coverage (not a mask), has a bit of light in it, but doesn't appear shiny or greasy --- and there would be no need to use powder on top.  I guess I am dreaming?  

@AngelPuppy1

Back in the day when I used a liquid foundation, and sometimes a creak blush and cream shadow,  it was always necessary to "set" the makeup with a light translucent powder.  Not only did it look more "flawless" (although I don't have flawless skin), but it prevented makeup smearing, which you just can't avoid with wet makeup.   

Hasn't anyone ever seen a woman give a quick hug and she leaves his shirt or suit jacket smeared with her makeup?  It's awful!

Although I've switched over to mineral makeup (in which I mix various brands and colors myself, depending on season and sun exposure), I think some sort of light translucent-type powder is really necessary to set liquid makeup.  

@Tinkrbl44

Thank you for your response!  I know exactly what you mean --- I have seen this many, many times.  Not good for the wearer or the recipient of the residue!! I know -- I try to be happy with just the foundation as I keep hearing ---- no powder ---- for us older gals --- but I am not not happy with this look.  I have tried a few setting type powders and so far, I am less than happy with them.  I guess I will just keep searching and maybe some day I will hit on a good one!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1

@Tinkrbl44

Thank you for your response!  I know exactly what you mean --- I have seen this many, many times.  Not good for the wearer or the recipient of the residue!! I know -- I try to be happy with just the foundation as I keep hearing ---- no powder ---- for us older gals --- but I am not not happy with this look.  I have tried a few setting type powders and so far, I am less than happy with them.  I guess I will just keep searching and maybe some day I will hit on a good one!!!  

@AngelPuppy1

Hmm.  Thinking back, after I applied and blended my liquid foundation, I used a champagne colored luminous pencil in my lines and blended.  Not unlike using YSL's Touch Eclat on dark circles and lines.  

While it might sound counter-intuitive to "highlight" lines and wrinkles, after setting with powder it made the lines less noticeable.  I suppose you could do the same with a lighter non-luminous pencil ... might be worth a try on a less noticeable line.