Esteemed Contributor

I am in the same age range and here's what works for me:

Bobbi Brown's foundation stick

Dr. Denese Day cream

Laura Geller Balance & Brighton

I have very fair, sensitive skin with "issues" and allergies. I also have dark circles under my eyes. It depends on the day/season what I'm dealing with on my face. I'm also wearing much less make up since I retired. I found that any of the above work to just even out your skin and make it look better. Sometimes I will use Doris Dalton cream blush and lipstick. I'll use eyelinder and mascara when I have time and my allergies are not crazy.

Hope this narrows it down for you.

Honored Contributor

(I'm way over 60)

I used to wear Physicians Formula ... but they discontinued their Amazing Lasting line.  I switched to Avon.

I've been using their Extra Lasting liquid and the compact Cream to Powder.   

Honored Contributor

@Fionna,   If you don't want to spend a lot of money consider a BB or CC cream (coverage but not heavy).  Rimmel, Neutrogena at the drugstore are good examples.  Laura Mercier has an excellent oil-free tinted moisturizer which I wear but it is $44.  I do agree with Shanus to select a really good foundation and go cheaper on the rest.  Plus if you were to go to Nordstrom or Sephora you can get help with the correct shade.  Good luck.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@Effie54 @Pook

Either Zulily or Haute has up to 55% on Perricone  now. The items you both mentioned  were listed plus more.

Esteemed Contributor

@Fionna- I tried BE a couple decades ago when I was in my 40's and it didn't work for me then - I think to use it successfully, your complexion needs to be totally flawless, and my skin is not.  

Most days I use only a tinted primer - no foundation.  The more stuff I put on my face, the worse it looks, so I keep it very simple.  Very light coverage with just a touch of blush.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

It's a fine line, isn't it?  We're at the age (I woke up 58 this morning) where we are teetering on invisible.  We don't feel that different, but then we catch a glimpse of ourselves and gasp.  Some of us are becoming invisible and are looking for something that brings us back into view.

And this is the tricky part.  We're also at that age where we have to be careful about how we're viewed.  Yes, we need a little color and a little glow, but a little too much color and glow and we look like we should be under the Big Top with Jumbo.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I’m 61 and use a moisturizing sunscreen first, then a primer (currently using a sample of Urban Decay Optical Illusion Primer) then my powder (BM Ready foundation) or Lancôme Tient Idole liquid foundation (use mostly this one in winter months).

The primer allows your foundation to sit on top of your skin rather than the foundation settling into the skin.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Frequent Contributor

I had been using foundation with JI pressed base for many years.  I recently started using BB Cream from Lilly Lolo and INIKA and won't go back to regular foundation.  I use INIKA loose mineral powder over the BB cream and it gives a flawless finish and doesn't crease in fine lines.  The mineral powder  has so few ingredients but has an SPF of 25.  I only wish I had found these products sooner. 

Honored Contributor

It's pores, not pours.

Fiona, if your skin is "dull looking", it may be more about your skin care regimen and less about the brand of makeup you use.  How often to you exfoliate?   Do you use sunscreen on a regular basis?   Do you ever get (or give yourself) facials?

The better condition your skin is in, the more brands of foundation will work for you.   

Honored Contributor

This is such a nice post!  I wish I could try all of these products because I am currently searching for something new to use.

I noticed that some of you mention that you use a powder after your foundation and some don't.  For those of you who don't, do you have problems with your face looking too shiny?  I deal with this.  I do not have oily skin at all, but it seems if I use just foundation (liquid --- powder foundation seems to dry on me) that my skin appears too shiny.  Don't get me wrong --- a little sheen to the skin looks younger I think, as opposed to dull, flat matte, doesn't it?  But I need a little something extra to cut the shine without settling in lines.  Just wondering how you handle this issue??  In my perfect world, I would have a foundation that gives some coverage (not a mask), has a bit of light in it, but doesn't appear shiny or greasy --- and there would be no need to use powder on top.  I guess I am dreaming?  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin