Honored Contributor

Makeup for Senior citizens

[ Edited ]
First time in weeks decided to put a full face of makeup on. Staring in the mirror not liking what I see. Explain a little back story. 58 no longer working, returned home to Lake Placid area. My lifestyle is very different than living in Hollywood. Except for work, I never wore heavy makeup nor do I now. Before the holidays ordered Tartelett Matte shadows, Very pretty love the matte finish. But! For some reason no longer like eyeshadow ?!? Learned proper application for older eyes from several beauty- Youtuber channels. Fact is! Looks odd! Can't put my finger on why? Same with deep plum lip color used to love it. Do like Doll 10 blush & contour palette. Think it's time for a change. Anyone else experiencing challenges? TIA🌷
Honored Contributor

I know EXACTLY what you mean; it was lip colors that I've worn forever and suddenly.....not flattering. Foundation was the BIG one, especially powder (no longer use it). Eyeshadow looks have changed DRAMATICALLY; I went from doing 3-5 shades on my lid to a base and tightlining; nothing more and it looks BETTER (pictures don't lie).

I love makeup, LOVE IT. But at this rate, I will never, ever, EVER use up all that I have because I'm wearing much less. Oh, and gloss looks better on me than lipstick so take THAT beauty "gurus" who say women shouldn't wear gloss over 45. THBBBBBBBBBT to you!

Respected Contributor

Re: Makeup for Senior citizens

The older we get, less is better.  I use a very light liquid foundation  (used sparingly) , make sure my brows are done, a nude lip gloss, eyeshadow (matte) and very light blush.  I only put makeup on when I go out, which is about once a week. 

Contributor

So glad you brought up this topic.  I'm going through the process of getting new products to replace old product.  I've been using It CC, and some Laura Geller.  Problem I have is finding matte colors that don't look like mud.  I'd love to hear what products work for you.

Respected Contributor

At 60 I'm finding I have to use a lighter hand when filling in my eyebrows because defining them like I always have looks too harsh now.  I recently read Cindy Joseph's advice not to try to replicate the brows you had in your twenties and with your eyebrows getting more sparse, to just "go with it".  I find I can't quite leave them alone completely because of the over-plucking I did in my youth but I'm trying to fill in a little less.

Also, I'm finding it more challenging getting a natural look with eyeshadow but I can't forgo it completely because I have slightly hooded eyes and need something in the crease to give me definition and depth, otherwise my eyes look "flat", if you know what I mean.  Aging just sucks... lol.

Respected Contributor

Yes.  I wear makeup but I have changed to softer colors.  I use charcoal eyeliner, soft brown mascara and pink blush and lipstick.  I think it's very age appropriate for me.  I just don't want to look like one of those old ladies with heavy makeup.

untitled.png

Respected Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

At 60 I'm finding I have to use a lighter hand when filling in my eyebrows because defining them like I always have looks too harsh now.  I recently read Cindy Joseph's advice not to try to replicate the brows you had in your twenties and with your eyebrows getting more sparse, to just "go with it".  I find I can't quite leave them alone completely because of the over-plucking I did in my youth but I'm trying to fill in a little less.

Also, I'm finding it more challenging getting a natural look with eyeshadow but I can't forgo it completely because I have slightly hooded eyes and need something in the crease to give me definition and depth, otherwise my eyes look "flat", if you know what I mean.  Aging just sucks... lol.

@Texasmouse - I have the same problem.  I want to wear eyeshadow but still keep it natural looking.  I've been using Naked, which are all neutral matte eyeshadows and they look good. 

Honored Contributor

58 isn't a senior citizen

very matte eyeshadows are harder to wear, IMO and better for a nice unwrinkled eye. 

I try to use something that is not completely matte,  and just mix it up with a matte

just get out and look, there are so many brands to buy now at all prices.

check out NYX lip lingerie  a nice range of colors and they stay on forever.

Honored Contributor

Never minded growing older until realized even if I did wouldn't help. Interestingly! Recently noticed age spots on my hands. Thought! When did this happen? Lol concerning makeup im one of those women less is more. My collection of makeup is very small. Same with jewelry, Gifted my precious items to DIL when she gave birth to GC. Thank you so much!! Each one of you! Made my day!!😍
Honored Contributor

@fritzee wrote:

So glad you brought up this topic.  I'm going through the process of getting new products to replace old product.  I've been using It CC, and some Laura Geller.  Problem I have is finding matte colors that don't look like mud.  I'd love to hear what products work for you.

Yes that  is my issue,

couple of things I like

WnW Brulee  single pan  it's very creamy, no shimmer but a nice base for entire eye.

WnW   Comfort Zone palette, each is very pigmented

Go to the drugstore,  and take a look at whats out there. Maybelline Rimmel both have good products, as do Wnw.