Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Makeup for Senior citizens

If you have time, check out Charlotte Tilbury's web-site.  I love her cosmetics, but I am not trying to persuade you to buy them.  She has "Looks" that you can shop by but are easily accomplished using what you have on hand. 

There is a picture somewhere (her site is bigger than I thought) of the "Sophisticated" look on an older woman with silver hair: she is not perfect-you can see some lines- but she looks stunning.

It's so easy to fall into ruts and stay there.  For years I lived in earth tones-and I looked good sporting a more or less natural look. ...ahhh, that's not true now.

I think as we get older, "pops" of color are more flattering-especially on cheeks, eyes and lips .  Placement is all important as well: just playing with cheek color placement made a huge difference.  My face has changed and I was in the hobbit of applying blush as I did when I was much younger.

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

I think makeup should be with a light hand even for junior citizens! I just find it to be less artificial and the most attractive (in more ways than one).

Respected Contributor

Tshirtgal, instead of fighting with liner, try a wet/ dry shadow that can be used as liners and are so much more forgiving. I still use gel pencils (Laura Gellar and I love Doll 10), but if I'm in a rush, those two brands of eye shadows work really well (I use them wet). Trish McCoy (sic) always seems to include shadows in her eye pallets that are wonderful and Eve Pearl's eye palette is a must and I highly recommend it. Her palette gets the most use from me.  I don't have the item number, but it's sold here and has a ivory highlighter, sparkly gold, rose, deep brown, green and black. They are wet/ dry, easily blendable, versatile and compact in size-but lasts forever.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

Failed mentioning, Dealing with my personal summer! For some reason can't handle the feeling of makeup on my face. You know I'm comfortable with not wearing full face of makeup. Thanks ladies!🌷
Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 CT website is interesting - thanks.

I am in my 50s. I don't consider myself old, but AARP obviously does since I keep getting their mailings. 

I have always preferred a more natural makeup look. I don't want someone to say my makeup looks great. The formulations of makeup have changed since I first started wearing it which is a good thing. I have very oily skin so I still use a powder to reduce shine. I still use similar lip and blush that add a bit of color to my face. 

Some changes I have made as I have aged:

*No traditional foundation - use tinted primers or *moisturizers with concealer on spots as needed 

*Use color correcting products more than I used to

*No black or heavy eye makeup - use black/brown mascara, brown liner, and neutral eye shadow applied very sparingly, don't line my lower lid anymore

*Need to fill in brows now

*Need to use under eye brightener/concealer now

Esteemed Contributor

I thank mom and dad for the good genes, but I really haven't had to adjust much about my makeup for age reasons.  Most of my changes have been the result of staying current with makeup techniques, formulas, and colors.  I know a lot of my mature sisters simply can't wear anything with sheen and shimmer, but my face seems to be the opposite.  Applying all matte formulas makes me look more dull and tired than no makeup at all. I have to have some oomph somewhere on my made up face even if it's just a dab of Laura Geller French Vanillla, or brushing on a bit of some enhancing color from a product like Benefit's Box Of Powder (Sugarbomb is my favorite).  

Honored Contributor

I want to look natural without actually being natural.  At my age (57), natural means invisible, drab.  The dilemma: Don’t want to disappear but don’t want to draw too much attention, either.  The goal is to look presentable if I run into someone at the grocery store or am rushed to the emergency room.

Application is crucial.  Yes, less is more.  The right products for your skin type and coloring?  Also crucial.  My makeup collection looks so much like Albuquerque I’m surprised it’s not camouflage.  Brown, tan, beige, copper, taupe, buff, sand…

I break one rule: I do go for a little sparkle.  I think it helps to illuminate. 

I’m not saying shiny – just a bit of brightening. 

1. Using Paula’s Choice Skin Recovery cleanser helps keep my skin from drying out in the high desert and that’s important because I don’t use a moisturizer.
  2. I like to start with a blank canvas – a nice even color. I use Lumene’s CC cream, but mix a pea size blob with a touch of Lumene’s BB Serum. That serum provides a little bit of brightness, luminosity.  I’ve finally found the perfect formula for my face with these two products, but I have this horrible sinking feeling that Lumene is dropping a lot of products and these may be on the hit list.  That would be unfortunate.
  3. Additional brightening comes from eye shadow and blush. Not talking glitter – just a very subtle shimmer. When I wear lip gloss, I go for something with the same level of brightening, but I usually end up using colorless lip balm.  That’s usually enough to plump up my lips so they’re not shrunken, dry and gray.
  4. I don’t mess with my brows other than use an old toothbrush to get them out of my eyes. An upward lift, but no more plucking. Don’t fill them in, either. 
  5. Gotta have dark brown liner. I draw a top line that ticks up a bit in the corners and smudge the bottom line.
  6. Went back to black when Maybelline dropped their brown and brownish black Full ‘N Soft WASHABLE mascara. That formula has saved my lashes – they don’t end up on my cheeks and they feel soft, not stiff or sticky.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

At age 80+ and long- retired, I'm finding that good skincare is far more important than makeup.  Whatever I use seems to emphasize the lines.  So my only " makeup" is a sheer coat of  IT CC cream, ( it also serves as my all-important-spf), some light blush, and nude lipstick.  My skincare, however, is much more concentrated toward good moisturizer.