Honored Contributor

Re: Makeup Primer Suggestions

I have been using Neuttogena Healthy Skin Primer for a while now. I like it better than their Shine Control version. The Healthy Skin primer has a tint and SPF. I mix a bit of it with my BB cream and get good coverage that looks natural. The tint may not be the correct shade for you, but it works for me. Btw I am over 50 with oily acne prone skin. 

Valued Contributor

Kabella-Is that the one called Poreless in the purple tube?

Honored Contributor

Smashbox has a really good primer too.

Respected Contributor

@patticakes No, its the primer in the jar. Its my recent purchase...Its thicker & dries down to a more matte finish & I don't find it drying... You  need very little & warm it up between your palms & what I was told if you use too much product it will pill, due to the consistency. I don't have large pores but the ones I have are not noticiable at all & it has a more bluring effect than others I have...I have normal/dry skin & used it with my BM complexion Rescue. I have other primers but that one imo is best for larger pores & combo or oily skin types. Its worth the cost as I need so little. Some ladies here have mentioned L'oreal's magic primer in the jar but I have not tried it. Look up the good ingred's & reviews on Sephora or Ulta. If you choose to purchase, I hope it work well for you!Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Laura Mercier

Esteemed Contributor

@patticakes I was looking at Hot and Flashy's utube channel last evening and she was addressing the same issues you are asking about regarding primers. Take a look. She covers drug store to high end items across the board with her helpful reviews. HTH'S

Esteemed Contributor

I have the same issues.  I have used these two primers and liked both:

Image result for Loreal primer

Image result for reviva labs makeup primer

The L'Oreal primer can be found at pretty much any drugstore, Wal-Mart, or Target, with the L'Oreal cosmetics.

The Reviva Labs primer is something I order online.  It is a lot like Smashbox's primer, but less expensive.

Both primers play well with any of the foundations I use.

Be sure to apply after you've let your moisturizer sink in for a few minutes.  Then apply a small amount of the primer (upwards over large pore areas, and perpendicular to any lines).  Allow the primer to set for a few minutes, then continue on with your makeup routine.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Esteemed Contributor

@patticakes wrote:

i'm looking for something and I'm no even sure it exits.  I'd like to find a makeup primer tht actually will cover/fill large pores and small acne scars that will make skin look more flawless and and smooth.  I've tried Laura Geller's, Mally's and a few others and have yet to find one that I like.  I don't want anything too oily as I have T zone skin and I'd prefer something not too expensive.  Help....

@patticakes ... I have tried many different primers.   But I have found that the Monistat Care Chafing Relief Powder Gel works just as well at a fraction of the cost.  

Frequent Contributor

ELF has great primers with great reviews.

Honored Contributor

This thread is 5 years old !