Valued Contributor

i'm looking for something and I'm no even sure it exits.  I'd like to find a makeup primer tht actually will cover/fill large pores and small acne scars that will make skin look more flawless and and smooth.  I've tried Laura Geller's, Mally's and a few others and have yet to find one that I like.  I don't want anything too oily as I have T zone skin and I'd prefer something not too expensive.  Help....

Honored Contributor

Re: Makeup Primer Suggestions

[ Edited ]

I think you need a filler, rather than (or along with) a traditional primer. There are some sold as skincare and some sold as primers, but they're not really primers. The "primer" versions go on over your foundation and under your other makeup. You can use a traditional primer, then foundation, then a filler. Fillers don't get rubbed in, they get patted in gently over the problem area.

You may want to try MAC Prep + Prime Line Filler. Boots' No 7 line makes a version called Instant Illusion Wrinkle Filler.

Respected Contributor

Most primers are pretty useless for me, but Clinique Super Primer face primer in the pink tube is what I am using and it acts like more of a "filler" and smoother than most primers.   It is good for combo/oily type of skin and one of the only ones that does what I think all primers should do.  Not he cheapest, but works so well I don't mind paying a little more for it.

Honored Contributor

@patticakes....I used Garnier 5 second blur......it may not be an actual primer but it does help keep my foundation fresh the entire day, and I think it really does 'blur' imperfections on the skin.  I have purchased it at Walgreens in the past, I do have trouble finding it at times.

Super Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@patticakes....I used Garnier 5 second blur......it may not be an actual primer but it does help keep my foundation fresh the entire day, and I think it really does 'blur' imperfections on the skin.  I have purchased it at Walgreens in the past, I do have trouble finding it at times.

I got a sample of this from CVS and I really liked it! I use SKINN but thought this had a better blur !

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use Benefit CosmeticsThe POREfessional Face Primer on slect areas of my face with larger pores and/or wrinkles: nose, nose to lip space, under eyes.  I use it as a primer but also after makeup (this works like magic!)

I usually buy the very small size (at Sephora) for $12 and it lasts a really long time for me.

Respected Contributor

I've used M. Asam's Magic Teint when I wanted this effect, and it worked well. They (HSN) are selling Magic Teint II, and I don't know whether or how it's changed. M. Asam's Magic Finish may offer the same benefits,  with some color.

Respected Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness wrote:

Most primers are pretty useless for me, but Clinique Super Primer face primer in the pink tube is what I am using and it acts like more of a "filler" and smoother than most primers.   It is good for combo/oily type of skin and one of the only ones that does what I think all primers should do.  Not he cheapest, but works so well I don't mind paying a little more for it.

Another vote for Clinique super primer. Works great. 

Honored Contributor

I would second Benefits Porefessional.  I heard good things about the product.  I use Laura Mercier's primer.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@patticakes Tarte's Timless Pores & Filling Primer. Probably the best for smoothing out pores. Deep cleanse with a clarisonic or somthing similar. A clay mask that isn't drying once a wk....exfoliating & toning...We can't shrink them unfortunetly but they can get larger! Good Luck! PS Also some Foundations exagerate larger pores.