Honored Contributor

I love the way the vendors provides  us "great information" on how to choose their shades.  So Dimitri is on HSN and he's going to go through the shades.  "Fair, you know who you are. Light, is light.  Medium is medium.  Medium Rich is a little darker than Medium.  Tawny has more olive tones.  And, last but not least, Deep is deep."  That was soooooo helpful.  Ha ha ha.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Makeup Color Explanations

I like Dimitri, but I need a better explanation that.😂😂  Seriously, most of us know our foundation colors, but it can vary from vendor to vendor, so he should be more specific than that. Thanks for that laugh.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

I wasted money on some IT foundation a few years ago when the vendor said exactly which shade to get if you are fair-skinned, which I am. It was much too dark, made my face look dirty, and had an orange tone to it. It was a no go. So I had two I couldn’t use. The only good color info I have found is Laura Geller’s.
Trusted Contributor

Agree that verbal descriptions aren't all that helpful; even when there is a picture online or on a tv screen, how can you know?  My approach has been to go present myself in person at Ulta.  There are always all kinds of samples to try to get a good match, and they have makeup artists there to make suggestions and demonstrate how to use the products--and it's all free.

Can't go wrong if you have access to an Ulta.

Respected Contributor

Oy!  The most difficult makeup trick is finding the right color foundation.  I still have no idea if I'm warm based or cool!  What might look ok in the store doesn't always look good in natural daylight.  What to do, what to do, what to do?  Pick one and hope for the best! 

Honored Contributor

IMO, foundation, BB, and even CC creams are always trial and error.  The vendors are all the same when it comes to desciptions, it’s not just Dimitri.  And they never go off script either.  I bet many of us know Laura Geller’s and the IT presenters’ schpiel.  Then, if a shade sells out, they’ll say try one that’s close because suddenly they are very forgiving. Umm, no they aren’t.  

Respected Contributor

The usual adage is tossed out  again today.. "Works on ALL skin tones and hair colors!"

Honored Contributor

they used to show the foundation colors swatched, but now just show a face which is useless

at least with a swatch we can see the shade differences side by side 

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

I love the way the vendors provides  us "great information" on how to choose their shades.  So Dimitri is on HSN and he's going to go through the shades.  "Fair, you know who you are. Light, is light.  Medium is medium.  Medium Rich is a little darker than Medium.  Tawny has more olive tones.  And, last but not least, Deep is deep."  That was soooooo helpful.  Ha ha ha.

@rms1954  I've never watched him, so cannot comment on his descriptions of shades, BUT foundations are and always will be tricky to purchase without being able to try them on. Some guidelines: Fair is usually very light with a pink undertone (always burns in the sun), Light is darker w/ a yellow or more neutral undertone (burns, but could tan afterwards), when you get into the Mediums, you're usually beige or neutral or olive depending on how many shades of Medium are offered, Deep also should have a lighter shade of deep, a medium deep and a darker shade called rich. 

If foundations are limited to 4-5 choices, they've grouped too many possibilities under each name and the "match" will be really difficult. For example: If just one Medium shade is offered, it most likely includes everyone who doesn't fall into the Light or Deep categories. Uh, don't purchase unless it can be returned because it's a cwap shoot whether it'll be even close to your skin color. 

To make matters worse, there are no standardized shade matches across the board in all lines. If you're Fair in one brand, you can be Light Beige in another. Some dept. store brands go by numbers which are impossible to decipher. 

Don't feel badly because we makeup artists are rebelling, too. We're not able to stock so many shades in our kits. We're choosing a few brands with tried and true color matches. Yes, Bobbi Brown who has an accurate shade finder w/ photos online (still not as great as being personally matched), MAC which stays consistent and Estée Lauder Double Wear (has a few finishes). BB has many Fairs, Lights, Mediums and Deeps...descriptions of each. 

Yes, most foundations have gone on the yellowish side to color correct any redness...the main complaint women have expressed. I have pink undertones, but prefer a Fair Neutral instead of a Fair w/ pink. I use the lightest BB shade called Alabaster which has a hint of pink, but have to mix it w/ the next fair shade Porcelain which is neutral. I like to start out w/ a blank canvas and then add back my color. If my foundation already has pink in it, it's difficult to match concealers (need ones w/ pinkish cast) and blushes tend to be overpowering because the "base" layer is already pink. 

The vendors do not adequately describe the foundation shades because they don't know through the TV screen what will match and just want to sell. There's a 50% chance you'll make it work and not return it. 

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

Oy!  The most difficult makeup trick is finding the right color foundation.  I still have no idea if I'm warm based or cool!  What might look ok in the store doesn't always look good in natural daylight.  What to do, what to do, what to do?  Pick one and hope for the best! 

@this is my nic   OY is accurate!!!