Honored Contributor

Re: Makeup Cleansing BALMS

[ Edited ]

@monicakm   I still prefer a cleansing oil to remove my makeup and especially dissolve sunscreen. I haven't watched Dr. Idress' video yet, so interested to see what she recommends. 

My oil emulsifies when water is added to make a light foam. I can use it on mascara/eye makeup, too. Then a second cleanse with Vanicream.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

Balms vs oils.  She recommends balms if you have dry skin.  

Honored Contributor

@monicakm   I guess I'll be disagreeing with her. I've tried both and see no difference as long as the balm turns into an oily cleanser when warmed between hands.

Even oily skin can use an oil cleanser or balm since the oils are light and do not remain on the skin.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

Yes, that's why she recommended an oil cleanser for oily skin (and balm for dry skin).  I didn't buy her #1 pick (Elemis).  I'm a big fan of Glow Recipe, know and like their products so I went with that one.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@Shanus 

Yes, that's why she recommended an oil cleanser for oily skin (and balm for dry skin).  I didn't buy her #1 pick (Elemis).  I'm a big fan of Glow Recipe, know and like their products so I went with that one.

@monicakm   My skin is dry in winter and dry/combo in warmer months. I use the same cleaning oil all year without issue. Everyone's skin is different. You need to see what works well with your skin. 

Valued Contributor

@monicakm 

I like using balms or cleansing oils that turn milky and rinse off . I have oily/acne prone skin and like these as a first step to really make sure I get everything off . I have used and highly recommend the ELF Cleansing balm and Heimish (k-beauty) balm . I really like the Inkey list one but it just does not get light/milky enough for me . Right now I am using a cleansing oil by Beauty Counter called Lipid Defense Oil Defense .It was very expensive , but I got it as part of a sale at a reasonable price  .It is fabulous but I don't think I would pay the $54 price tag ! 

Honored Contributor

@marmarbrooklyn 

I'm excited to see how the Glow Recipe balm works.  I've used Tatcha Oil Cleanser and it did fine.  Lasted forEVER since I don't wear makeup every day.  The Naturium by Susan Yara leaves my face so super soft.  I like it better than Tatcha's.  I'm glad you have found what works best for you z;0

Honored Contributor

I am loving Estee Lauders cleansing balm---it goes on like a oily balm --such a great description--and then after you rub it in and add water, it gets creamy. it rinses off right away and does not leave the skin dry or tight. A little goes along way--

Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@kate2357 

Skin should never feel dry and tight.  Do you have redness too?  Have you thought about using something different?

@monicakm 

No redness, just a tight feeling to skin, which I don't have when I don't use the PC oil cleanser. And yes, will be changing. Don't know yet which oil cleanser I will switch too. As the weather improves (less rain) I will be outside more and will need to wear sunscreen ... which means I need to find a better oil cleanser or balm for the first cleanse. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

I've been using Palmer's Skin Therapy Cleansing Oil for long time. But I've noticed that my skin gets dry and tight after using it. I think I might need to switch to a balm of some kind, maybe try the e.l.f. cleansing balm. That one looks good (the ingredients) on InciDecoder dot com.