Honored Contributor

Make your own shade of lipstick

You get to choose 2 pigments create your shade and then you can add flavor is you like such as vanilla or mint, etc. and also the finish matte, luminous, etc.  I think it is brillant but the stores are in New York, San Francisco and Toronto.  The price is $55 which I think is a little steep.  It's by Bite Beauty and they have three Lip Labs mentioned above.  I would love to create my own shade of lipstick.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: Make your own shade of lipstick

You can follow Antonella's instructions they were running over Christmas on the Q when they were off-air.  I think it's on YouTube.  Basically, melt two colors and mix them together.  You have to have a lipstick mold, but she says they're sold everywhere.

I just layer lipsticks to get a color I like.  

Contributor

I took my daughter and 2 adult granddaughters to the Bite Lip Lab in Larchmont- part of Los Angeles for a Christmas gift. We all loved it! And got some great looking lipstick too!

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 - DD and a friend did this 2 years ago in NYC after a tour of the Bite facility. They spent the money, but I don't think she wears it all that much. It's supposed to be the "perfect" color for her.

I used to wear Bite, until they discontinued Vin, my favorite. It was a beautiful color, but it didn't last long. I have since found lines that stay on me better though. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

You can follow Antonella's instructions they were running over Christmas on the Q when they were off-air.  I think it's on YouTube.  Basically, melt two colors and mix them together.  You have to have a lipstick mold, but she says they're sold everywhere.

Good morning, @Icegoddess. I don't use lipstick molds. I save the metal tins from lip balms, melt 2 shades of lipstick, sometimes add a little Burt's Bee's balm, melt in glass measuring cup in microwave and pour into the tins. I refrigerate for a few hours before using. I use the same method to just tint my lip balms. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like to mix my own shades of lipstick too and I found a great seller on etsy (LittleStuff4u) who sells wonderful sample size lipsticks in lots of colors. $3 each and organic too. Love mixing these up.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

Good morning, @Icegoddess. I don't use lipstick molds. I save the metal tins from lip balms, melt 2 shades of lipstick, sometimes add a little Burt's Bee's balm, melt in glass measuring cup in microwave and pour into the tins. I refrigerate for a few hours before using. I use the same method to just tint my lip balms. 

@Shanus yes, I have thought of that, but then you need to carry a lipstick brush around with you to apply it.  

Respected Contributor

I would not pay $55 for any lipstick. Too steep for my wallet. No value there it's just lipstick. But I'm sure some would find it fun, if they dont mind the price. 

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

I would not pay $55 for any lipstick. Too steep for my wallet. No value there it's just lipstick. But I'm sure some would find it fun, if they dont mind the price. 

@Grouchomarx I agree.  I just paid $38 for a Dior but it's my favorite color and I think it's been discontinued since I can't find that shade in the stores anymore.  And I thought that was expensive.

Respected Contributor

I used to 'make' my own shade of lipstick years ago.  Got out of the habit,  but I'll have to do it again.  I save the ends of lipstick shades I like and the tubes that have broken.  I add the stubs of lip balms.   I used a small glass jar, in a small pot of water, and slowly melted the lipstick.   Then I poured it into tiny little plastic or metal containers or 1 oz glass jars.

It was fun and saved a lot of money.  Only downside was having to use a lipstick brush.  But with all the makeup application steps and brushes in my daily routine (at the time),  I was using a lip pencil and brush anyway.

Of course,  now it's a swipe of lip balm and a swipe of lipstick after I make sure my eyebrows are filled in.  Smiley Happy  Smiley Happy

But I think I'll go melt some lipsticks today,  just for fun.