Respected Contributor

Make-up organization ideas for the make-up minimalist

Nikki Boyd of At Home with Nikki has a video of how she organizes her makeup-collection

Respected Contributor

Re: Make-up organization ideas for the make-up minimalist

Nikki also has a video for organizing a beauty station that could be helpful for someone with a large collection

https://youtu.be/FBMmVorl58E

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

i like how she has her make up  all in that one case. looks really nice.  i was tempted to go in that direction, but for me it would not work.

i am someone who needs to see it all.  i would end up dragging everything out of that case every morning.  and then i would have a mess all over the counter top.  (that maybe would get put away, but if i was interrupted with a phone call ... maybe not .... i am so ADD)  

i have my makeup all laying flat in a great big divided (plastic) tray.  it's the kind of tray that you would use  as a drawer divider.  i keep it under the sink and just pull the whole thing out every morning and then put each product back as i use it.  what i like, though, is that i can see it all  and decide which color/product i want to use next as i go.  

Respected Contributor

I ordered 2 of the Alex smaller drawer cabinets and they're suppose to be delivered today. I am so excited to get them and my boyfriend is going to build me a flat desk top to sit on these 2 cabinets!!! I can't wait. Every lady that has these cabinets from Ikea, say the quality is great. 

Honored Contributor

I became a minimalist when I found Trish McEvoy's planners!  I LOVE them.  I love not having piles of stuff to root through and then throw away when the color doesn't work.

Honored Contributor

I don't have a large collection but I set up a little makeup vanity so I can keep everything I use out and within easy reach. I keep it organized. It really helps to do that.

The case she showed would be nice if you have to keep your makeup in a closet or out of sight. 

Trusted Contributor

@fancy pantsy wrote:

i like how she has her make up  all in that one case. looks really nice.  i was tempted to go in that direction, but for me it would not work.

i am someone who needs to see it all.  i would end up dragging everything out of that case every morning.  and then i would have a mess all over the counter top.  (that maybe would get put away, but if i was interrupted with a phone call ... maybe not .... i am so ADD)  

i have my makeup all laying flat in a great big divided (plastic) tray.  it's the kind of tray that you would use  as a drawer divider.  i keep it under the sink and just pull the whole thing out every morning and then put each product back as i use it.  what i like, though, is that i can see it all  and decide which color/product i want to use next as i go.  

I wish I could be as organized as Nicky, but like @fancy pantsy I would end up taking everything out of that big box...and the box would somehow "live" on my counter and never get put away lol!  

Note to self... I've got to stop buying makeup.... Nicky even had 4 bottles of foundation and still managed to store everyone in one train case.  I'd need 6 of those bad boys Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

I found some decent glam box dupes at Homegoods. But I recently discovered Muji. It's an Asian store with a store location in New York. I was in the store and loved their lucite organizers. They are perfect for makeup. Can't wait to order more. Check out their website.