Honored Contributor

Re: Make it and they will buy it?

[ Edited ]

Way back, choices were limited so we were pretty much stuck with what was there.  In spite of what many are insisting, there are now products that will work and make a huge difference for everyone.  If one product doesn't work something else will.  Those that are not interested, don't want to spend the money or just plain don't want yo spend the time - fine it's your choice.  What  I take issue with is those then call   those of us who love trying and using products and get amazing results gullible and only fooling ourselves.  I use so many different products daily and get so many compliments from those i know and those I had never met before and they happen out of the blue.  Over the years I have found things that worked better than what I was using.  I now know that I was right.   I recently broke a couple bones in my right arm and sprained my left hand so I am so limited.  My recent trip to the ER had the doctor who was dictating a statement stop when he said 67 yr old female and say to me  "you're 67 ?"  I tried only using a few products and after only 3 days found my skin, dry, dull with wrinkles standing out making me look and feel awful and older.  I had all the time so I found a way to get back to using all the products and what a difference!!  The only thing I can't do with one hand is the intricate eyeliners I used and now am using everything else.  THOse I know said things like now you'll see you don't need to spend all that money and time, etc since you are looking so good with less.  No way do I want to go a day without having my skin looking and feeling great.    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have eliminated using 80% of the skin care stuff I was using before using RetinA. That one product does so many things. Preserve and protect is my mantra.

In fact, RA is the only product ever given approval by the FDA to use as an anti-aging treatment for wrinkles. No other product or substance, otc or Rx, has ever made it that far.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you’ve heard this shpeil too many time, please skip to next post:

I’m coming from a background in skincare and consultations with dermatologists (mine and those I’ve worked with). No, 8-10 products on your face are not necessary. There are a few basics recommended based on whether or not your particular skin can tolerate it. 

1.  Gentle cleanser (that removes makeup if necessary)

2.   Retin A or retinol (only proven anti-aging product...

exfoliates and builds collagen)

3.   Sunscreen (face, neck & chest) every day

Sun ages skin faster than anything else

4.   Moisturizer (face, neck and chest)

OPTIONAL ADDITIONS (but not optional for me):

5. Eye cream day and night

6. Some kind of acid exfoliant to speed cell turnover &

remove dead, sloughing cells

7. Neck cream

8. Toner (non-alcohol) after cleansing 

9.  Clarisonic for deep cleaning pores

10. Vit. C or C&E serum to brighten skin & fade spots

***Aside from using wrong products for their skin type, the biggest mistakes most women make is duplicating products (more than one of each above) or changing products too often to see results....6 wks. minimum

unless there’s negative reactive reaction to product. Then let skin rest/no products for 2 wks. and start regimen again, only one product at a time, to see which is the culprit. Also don’t use too many that do same thing.

***All questions/recommendations welcome. Ask with @Shanus so I can respond.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's mind boggling to me the amount of cosmetics ie makeup & facial creams, lotions, serums. Basically they're all the same with different names, titles, packaging and prices with a few tweaks here & there. Mind boggling...

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

It's mind boggling to me the amount of cosmetics ie makeup & facial creams, lotions, serums. Basically they're all the same with different names, titles, packaging and prices with a few tweaks here & there. Mind boggling...

@PINKdogWOOD   Skincare products are not all the same. Some are medical grade & sold in derm offices/spas. Other products by Estée Lauder, Lancôme, etc. are highly fragranced and cost way too much for what you receive because of department store placement and advertising. Skincare can be moisturizing, but contain no anti-aging ingredients or some you’d rather not apply to your skin.

There are so many on the market, you have to be your own advocate checking labels, reviews or asking your dermatologist to recommend products for you. Yes, those may seem more expensive, but saves all the money lost on products tossed out that irritated your skin or did nothing.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus   I did say with a few tweaks here and there. I don't need a derm to help me out either.

Honored Contributor

I've never seen the FDA make a category just for 'medical grade'. Products are either otc or Rx and both are regulated with specific guidlines for each category. That is just another marketing ploy.

Esteemed Contributor

@avid shopper wrote:

Cleanse, stay out of the sun and inherit good genes!

I agree.........i think "genes" are key............but i think that anyone  that does a simple daily regement and maintains their skin care will turn out "just" as good or "better" then someone spending thousands on beauty products...my mother cleansed her face and used Noxema regularly and she had great skin with a simple product................

the BEFORE  and AFTER  pics that QVC Beauty shows show are really quite comical.............there is such minimal difference if any difference at all...................

If there was something that would really work to make wrinkles disappear and women look younger it would be the only product selling these days...i will wait for that one!!!

Respected Contributor

I feel we only need basic products.  For companies, it's only about the $$$$.  

Honored Contributor

One of the best things I did for my skin was to increase my water intake.  That goes for the skin over my entire body.  When I slack on drinking water, it really shows.  A few months ago I had to do a prep for a medical test and as a result I ended up very dehydrated to the point they had a very bad time getting an IV in me.  By that night my skin was already so dry, I felt disgusting.  I was using my creams and body butters for days but until I got back to drinking my 100 oz of water a day, my skin was a mess.

I am also one that needs a simpler routine.  And I personally think that is just better.  I think people wreak havoc on their skin using too many chemical and physical exfoliators.  I cleanser and use a BHA, eye cream and moisturizer at night and I cleanse, tone and use and eye cream and moisturizer with SPF during the day.  Once a week I mask and once a week I use a scrub. 

I think good genes are also key.  My mom never looked her age and never used good skincare.  But if you look at all her siblings, none of them look their age.  It just runs in the family.