Respected Contributor

Make it and they will buy it?

I am always amazed at the number of products cosmetic companies insist we need. 

I was a Clinique counter manager back in the 1980's.  We had the basic three items, cleanser bar, toner, and the famous yellow moisturizer.  Clinique also had 2 exfoliators, one for dry skin, the other for combination or oily skin.    There was no eye cream, neck cream, serum, or primer.  At the time, the company's philosophy was only the basic three items and an exfoliator were necessary.  Before I stopped working there, Clinique came out with a dense cream called Sub Skin Cream which was for dry and/or aging skin.  

Now every cosmetic company has a multitude of products that they claim we should use to enhance our skin's appearance.  I have to wonder just how many different potions and lotions are really necessary or is it just a matter of the companies coming up with new items to increase sales.

What's your opinion? 

Regular Contributor

Re: Make it and they will buy it?

@this is my nic I love this topic because it is so complex and simple, I accidentally wandered into a biochemistry class in college and I was hooked. what we know for sure is that we need to cleanse exfoliate and maybe but not necessarily moisturize. Sunscreen is important but most of them don't work.   Your turn.

Respected Contributor

@Iris in bloom 

If you're throwing the ball back to me, I relinquish my time to anyone else with an opinion on the topic!

Thanks for your response! 

Honored Contributor

I nearly ruined my face because of exfoliation.  I don't need it.  My skin is too sensitive for it.  All ANY of it does is adversely affect my face.

I am also not good with most of the anti ageing products which do nothing but irritat and redden my skin.  

I don't need a lot of moisturizing, my skin is quite moist as well as oily.  And I am in my 60's.  The more basic I get with products the better my skin is.  I need things with vit. A, E, and C, and otherwise, basic. 

Esteemed Contributor

Raising my hand admitting that I drank the Kool-aid forever searching for that miracle product.

In frustration and coming to my senses, I now use only a handful of products I purchase from my local co-ops or health food stores. Instead, I save my money to get holistic facials that DO make a difference.

Trusted Contributor

Cleanse, stay out of the sun and inherit good genes!

Respected Contributor

@this is my nic 

Clinique-I have used those 3 basics you named since the 1970s.  For some years when I was employed full time I used some of their make-up products.  Now I rarely wear make-up, so am not buying.  The basic 3 products have been very good for my skin.  I still use them, only generally once-a-day, not twice.   I sometimes am dumbfounded at the array of beauty products, potions, miracle treatments, etc.  offered on QVC.  There must be a huge profit margin to this line of products.  Mostly (IMO, of course) I think they are a huge waste of money.

Esteemed Contributor

Back when all the layering got popular - allll the skin care companies were insisting upon it - I wondered how, after I would apply the first layer, how would the 2nd and 3rd layers sink in thru the first layer?  Wouldn't applying one layer then block all the other layers from entering the skin?  And then, why do we need a separate eye cream (or 2?) or a different product for every part of the face and neck?

Still I layered because the beauty companies told me I had to.  What a dope I was!   My compexion looked horrible.   I finally came to my senses and went back to the cheap stuff and 'one and done' and my skin improved beautifully. 

So yes, I believe that if they make it and advertise it, 'they' will buy it.  I won't.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

The only reason I use [perhaps superfulous] things is because I'm fascinated with ingredients!

I've used this analogy before - you don't go to the grocery store and only buy 3 things. You get a variety. Blue fruit, red fruit, this nut, that different nut -- because of the nutrition that each is known for.

That's how I view my skin care. Not because they come out with a cream for this and a cream for that. Although, I must say, that I usually have on hand whatever topical I need at the moment -- like arnica gel.

Esteemed Contributor

Same could be said for hair. Once upon a time all you needed was shampoo & maybe some conditioner.