Respected Contributor

Re: Make it and they will buy it?

There really is just too much stuff out ther on the market now. I have been drinking that kool aid way too long now and I feel I may be ready to simplify and pare down a bit.  I'm just always trying way too hard.  I gotta take a minute to relax in this life of mine. 

Respected Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

I am always amazed at the number of products cosmetic companies insist we need. 

I was a Clinique counter manager back in the 1980's.  We had the basic three items, cleanser bar, toner, and the famous yellow moisturizer.  Clinique also had 2 exfoliators, one for dry skin, the other for combination or oily skin.    There was no eye cream, neck cream, serum, or primer.  At the time, the company's philosophy was only the basic three items and an exfoliator were necessary.  Before I stopped working there, Clinique came out with a dense cream called Sub Skin Cream which was for dry and/or aging skin.  

Now every cosmetic company has a multitude of products that they claim we should use to enhance our skin's appearance.  I have to wonder just how many different potions and lotions are really necessary or is it just a matter of the companies coming up with new items to increase sales.

What's your opinion? 

It’s the same with hair products. When Chaz Dean came on QVC with Wen, his Cleansing Conditioner was to replace 7 things in your shower. Now he has his Cleansing Conditioner and at least 7 products to add to your regular hair routine. 😱 I think we as consumers need to look at reality and know we don’t need all these products. It’s about marketing and sales! Comes down to money. My mother and grandmother both had beauty skin and hair. Never spent hundreds of dollars on products. They enjoyed their life, no worries about hair, skin and aging!
Honored Contributor

It’s a company’s job is to convince you that you need their product and considering how profitable the beauty business is it seems to work. Philosophy’s product “hope in a jar” says it well. 

I stopped throwing money away on promises a long time ago and I stick with three things and use them consistently. 

Respected Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

It’s a company’s job is to convince you that you need their product and considering how profitable the beauty business is it seems to work. Philosophy’s product “hope in a jar” says it well. 

I stopped throwing money away on promises a long time ago and I stick with three things and use them consistently. 

I love Philosophy’s shower gels. I use it as a face cleanser and I also use it as my regular shampoo. No problems. It’s one of the BEST shower gels I have tried.
Honored Contributor

I look at it kind of like cars or computers or phones. Just because they make a new model doesn't mean you have to have it in your life. You only need one moisturizer at a time. If you upgrade, that's up to you. It's not as if you upgrade to a new phone and then still keep using the last 3 phones you've bought over the years. If you want a new skincare product, that's great, but you should probably replace, not add. If you are considering adding to your routine, I'd say take a good long think first.

Masks are a good way to try new ingredients and formulas without adding steps. You just have one mask step and mix and match and interchange the masks.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

I agree that there are way too many products out there now in cosmetic and haircare, more than my brain can handle so I simplified what I use and also I have sensitive skin so I have to be careful otherwise I'm in my dermatologist office which is another bill I don't need.

Contributor

I am probably in the minority but I do think some of those products are necessary. Eye cream is formulated differently than regular moisturizer, so I use that. Neck cream is richer than regular moisturizer and I use that. I am 67 with oily skin. I do not use a regular face moisturizer except in the dead of winter. I love the Lancer scrub and use it about 3-4 days a week. I have very few wrinkles and my eye area looks very good. I can always tell when someone doesn’t moisturize their neck, it looks very wrinkly, especially under the chin. I do use a night serum, but will give it up when it’s gone as I don’t notice much/any difference. Hey, if you want to embrace your wrinkles, go for it. I’m fighting them. 

Respected Contributor

Thank you for your responses!

Yes, cosmetics are a huge profit for the retailers.  I may not be correct on this now, but way back when if an item, such as lipstick, cost the consumer $15.00;  the retailer bought it for $7.50.  This may have changed, but that's how it worked when I was selling cosmetics. 

Also, in b&m stores, the cosmetic companies pay the retailer for their space in the store and a portion of the salesperson's salary.  You might notice the top selling brands have the best location within the department, this isn't a coincidence. 

Contributor

I’m with you Sister. I’m also 67, no one ever thinks I’m that old and will continue to fight the battle. I love wearing makeup and taking good care of my skin. 

Honored Contributor

@Pook 

Sorry to hear about your injuries, and glad you are on the mend.

I enjoy learning about the brands people such yourself are pleased with.  Please share.

Thanks

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras