Respected Contributor

For those that went grey what did you do to brighten your look? I am half way there and have occasionally used a Grey hair color which has helped jazz up the hair and incoming grey to l blend into a look like sun lightened. I am going to try Wen's purple treatment shampoo. I even bought a book on going grey.

I honestly don't know what my grey will be like when my hair is totally  grown out as colored my hair 35 years. I have blue, grey green eyes  more blueish and a Neutral  Medium skin  I have a Bob haircut with  a slight wave. I lean towards coral pinks in blush and lipsticks. Does one go brighter or softer? I am feeling washed out already.  Any tips or ideas from your experiences or women you know  who are grey would be appreciated. Thank you.

Valued Contributor

Re: Make Up change Going Grey?

@Gorgf 

Hi ! I have been salt and pepper for several years . I am 58 and wear it in a short pixie cut .  As far as makeup things like foundation or concealer (if you wear them )shade range should be the same but if you have dark circles you made need to brighten them up . I have a neutral /light skin color with some redness from acne marks so I can't do blush/ lip colors too pink or red . Eyes I like to keep neutral or rose gold color . I did switch to eye shadow ( plum or dark gray or navy  ) for liner . I feel thing biggest thing for me is to fill in my brows . You didn't mention your age ,but I know since I turned 50  nothing make me look washed out faster than NOT filling in my brows . SInce I am salt/pepper I do a mix of an ash brown pencil and a gray pencil .  A big part of going gray are your clothing colors  you wear as well . If you are  someone who always wears neutrals like beige, browns or ivory tone colors . These may wash you out .  These really wash me out . I have switched to blues , grays, pinks , roses blacks ,and whites  . If you have not tried these colors before I would just try a pop of color .I would try something inexpensive like T-shirt or a scarf . There are many YouTubers and videos about going gray who have really great suggestions . Congulations and welcome to the club !

Honored Contributor

I went more pink which I hated and never wore before

and now I like light colors in clothing

Honored Contributor

@Gorgf   I went natural about 3-4 years ago. I have a lighter skin tone than you, but generally, makeup changes to more cool colors since grey hair usually w/ some white is cool toned. Browns, taupes, pale lips and blush don't seem to work anymore.

As we grey, either natural or continue to color hair, but grey is underneath, our complexion changes to a lighter tone,too.... loss of melanin in hair and skin.

More rose/pink tones in lips and blush seem more flattering and a charcoal or navy liner is better than than black that seems harsh or brown which no longer works with grey hair. Your brows may need to also be defined. 

If you have any other questions, will pop in later.

Honored Contributor

@marmarbrooklyn   Your advice is spot on. I had to change clothing and move away from my camel and other neutrals in brown family. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I stopped coloring twelve years ago. Make up colors need to be intensified. For example if you favor a neutral, tawny, beigey palette, that will wash you out with grey hair. I went with brighter blushes in pinker tones than I used to wear. More eyebrow enhancement for sure. Mine are light and sparse without product. Wear lip color. If I had to pick the one makeup change that made the most difference, it is wearing lipstick every time I leave the house. Without it my face blends in with my hair. Oh and I now wear more interesting eyeglasses frames with color. Wardrobe also need more color to contrast with hair. 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@marmarbrooklyn   Your advice is spot on. I had to change clothing and move away from my camel and other neutrals in brown family. 

I think we need to experiment on that, when I had brown-auburn I would never wear white, or camels but once I lightened my hair I started wearing those colors

depends on skin tone, eyes etc

Respected Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

I think we need to experiment on that, when I had brown-auburn I would never wear white, or camels but once I lightened my hair I started wearing those colors

depends on skin tone, eyes etc

Skin tone, etc- good point. I didn't look good in neutrals/ autumn colors even when I had chestnut brown hair, my natural color. Now being grey those colors make me look like a piece of toast. Blah. 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

I have no plans to go the natural route until I have no choice.  My white has so many issues that coloring is both easier and more attractive than the alternatives, but I have softened both my hair color and the colors of the little makeup I use.  Everything I use still looks best in pretty much the same family of colors, but both too bright and too neutral add years.

Honored Contributor

I stopped all hair coloring in 2012 as I was dx with breast cancer and lost all my hair anyway---it came back very grey but then as it grew longer my normal color also return--kind of a light brownish mixed with grey--looks very nice and get asked all the time who does my color---I am 67 with light ,warm skin--wear pinks and love the peaches but stay neutral mostly---on  my eyes---this summer my face tanned much more than normal as I was out walking alot--using SPF of course--kind of like that look so do put a touch of bronzer on. However I don't wear make up often unless I go out and about, which is rare these days. Love wearing  plum, navy, bronze , gunmetal eye liner too, never black, just too harsh for me--funny thing, my eye color was deep brown then after chemo, they changed to a hazel /amber color---weird !!!