Respected Contributor

I have been getting my hair colored at an Aveda salon for years and years. While I loved my colorist/stylist, I disliked the owner spouting off his political beliefs ad infinitum. I kept encouraging my sylist to open her own salon LOL. Well then this world changed. I broke down and purchased Madison Reed Trieste Red to cover my grays as it seemed closest to my current color and it did come out very well except for the few spots I missed. I was wondering if anyone has tried E Salon and if there is any difference between the 2. Thanks in advance.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

I have not, but I am interested to see if anyone has any thoughts. I am going to try one of them in the next few days. I am going to google reviews from each and see if I can get any honest feedback.

Honored Contributor

I have not used E Salon, but have used Madison Reed for over a year now, and love it!I use the Medium Golden Brown, and its perfect! I am interested in hearing about E Salon also though just for comparison!

Regular Contributor

@reiki604 @Janey2 @CANDLEQUEEN Ladies, I used E-salon a few years and really liked it. For some reason I stopped and started using Age Beautiful hair dye from Sally Beauty. Then I started going to the salon and getting my hair colored. I just wasn't very good doing the back of my head. Well since the pandemic, I've decided to go back to E-salon and Sally Beauty. I should get my shipment this weekend or early next week. Sally Beauty indicated there could be a shipping delay so I went with E-Salon too just in case the shipping delay was a long one.  

I've never used Madison Reed. And, I didn't see really much difference between SB and E-Salon color. SB is cheaper in the long run. 

Frequent Contributor

I used esalon for roots/base color and highlights. The packaging and instructions were clear and very personalized. After 2 weeks, I. am disappointed to see gray at the roots already (my hair does not grow that fast). But I loved the highlights-these are like balayage, but  simpler and provide great dimension and tone (they include a toner). Both left my hair healthy.

Respected Contributor

I thought this would be the perfect time to grow out my roots and just go gray.  I am not the most patient person so this is not going as fast as I wanted and not really thinking I am going to like the color.  I have been looking at Esalon and Madison reed.  I hope there are more responses.  I have used many different Sally hair dyes and drugstore ones for years and never got a good even coverage on the gray.  I don't want an allover dark color that looks like a helmet.  I don't like the brassiness after a couple of weeks. Just wonder if these more expensive products are worth it. 

Respected Contributor

I usually have my salon color my hair but obviously it's been awhile.  I have used Madison Reed twice in the past when I could not get to the salon or just needed a break.  MR is very good quality and the color was very nice.  The price was the same as salon for color (not cut, blow out).  I have a box of it waiting for me to use right now!  I have been letting the grey go to see how long I can do it.  I am 66 and have dark brown chin length hair and am so tired of dying but...not sure I am ready for the grey yet!!

Regular Contributor

I used esalon before, and I liked the way it was packaged and you can customize it. If you need help you can call. They will adjust color to your needs. I ended up having greenish roots, and they fixed it somehow. You can skip shipments, and if you have long hair they'll send you an extra bottle at no charge. The color was wonderful, and gray was covered. I just recently switched to Demi permanent color, it lasts just as long as permanent color, but is way less damaging. I like it a lot better, hair is shiny and gray is covered, even though it says it only blends the gray. I use the one n only Demi and I'd never go back to permanent color. 

Honored Contributor

My stylist retired about a week before the you know what hit the fan.  Rather than go to a new stylist right now (they will open next week here), I am giving Madison Reed a try, primarily on my roots which are gray and getting bigger every day!  Ordered it a few weeks ago and it is supposed to arrive Thursday.  I agonized over the color choice but settled on Sicily Blonde which seems closest to my color.  I'd like to try Balayage at some point as I loved it when my stylist did it (I usually got highlights and lowlights) but I'm not sure I'm comfortable experimenting like that.  

Anyhoo, I can't compare esalon and MR as I haven't actually used either one.  Keeping my paws crossed that I like how the MR works out.  A friend did hers with MR 2 weeks ago and it looks good.

Frequent Contributor

I have tried both now, Madidon Reed just a couple of days ago.  Been using eSalon for past six months or so and liked it, probably longest wearing for home hair color, beautifully packaged.  I think I like the MR color a tad better, but have to see how it wears before I commit.  MR also beautifully packaged, equal in price.  Both easy to use,however MR might be a little less messy

Hope this helps!