Respected Contributor

Madison Reed or Hennacolorlab for new hair color???

TIred of salon color.  My hair is dark brown with gray.  Tempted to grow it out but then I think I am not quite ready to do that.  My hair is chin length, slight wave and thinning due to age and Tamoxifen.  Looking for something "healthier".

Contributor

Re: Madison Reed or Hennacolorlab for new hair color???

I have dark brown/black hair with some gray as well.  I use Madison Reed triste red- covers the gray beautifully and it looks like I have highlights.  I get many compliments on it and I love how my hair feels with Madison Reed. 

Honored Contributor

I prefer Madison Reed.  Henna coats and stains the hair.  Henna is good to make your natural virgin hair color shiny and more vibrant, but not the best choice to cover gray.

Also, if you change your mind, it is not advisable to put any other hair color over henna. 

Respected Contributor

Color Silk is great - and cheap.

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl--have we compared notes on this before? My hair is the exact same as yours---even the tamox thing too.  Have never gotten an all over color in a salon before; used to highlight but way too pricey now and not sure that would be great on my hair. Tried home colors, the last one was packaged wrong and instead of a med brown, it was red-----what a mess. the red color was in the wrong box----wondering if Madison Reed is easier on the hair and isn't it an auto delivery thing too?

Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl You can get Madison Reed at Ulta online. Stalk their sales, I've seen it up tp 50% off but it flies off the shelf at those prices.

No experience with it but I'm temped to try.

Esteemed Contributor

For me to get  henna to cover gray it needs to be a two step process. It is messy and takes all day.  I am allergic to hair color with PPD. The Madison reed is free of that. I had no reaction using it. The color was nice but a little to red. I would get a different color I used it again. You can take a quiz on their site to see what color you would want.

Honored Contributor

I only have experience with Madison Reed and I love it. I have thinning, fragile hair and am recovering from immune associated alopecia and have found this suitable with no damage noticeable hair loss. My go to color is Verona brown. 

I have never tried henna because it pulls so much red and the only recourse for an undesirable result is to grow it out. It’s very hard to correct