Esteemed Contributor
I am allergic to hair color. Anyone used this hair color. It is ammonia and ppd free. PPD is usually the ingredient that people are allergic to.
Honored Contributor

The only thing I can say is that I can't stand the woman's radio ads. I find them obnoxious for some reason. And I wouldn't spend $25 to color my hair at home.

Before I stopped coloring my hair this year, for years I used Nice 'N Easy for less than $8-$9 a box, sometimes on sale for less.

Valued Contributor

I do use it and haven't had any reaction problems.  I have had trouble finding just the right shade though.  I think I'm trying my 4th go at dark blond the next time I color.  Their glosses are quite nice too.  Color and accessories are packaged very well.

Esteemed Contributor

@Stevie Nix wrote:

I do use it and haven't had any reaction problems.  I have had trouble finding just the right shade though.  I think I'm trying my 4th go at dark blond the next time I color.  Their glosses are quite nice too.  Color and accessories are packaged very well.

Do you have a lot of grey to cover? If so how does it cover and do you find it lasts awhile before redoing it?

Esteemed Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

The only thing I can say is that I can't stand the woman's radio ads. I find them obnoxious for some reason. And I wouldn't spend $25 to color my hair at home.

Before I stopped coloring my hair this year, for years I used Nice 'N Easy for less than $8-$9 a box, sometimes on sale for less.

If you read my post you would see I said I was alllergic to hair color. I would pay anything to find something that works. I hate the gray hair. I look old.  Henna works but it is a all day process and is messy and a pain  to use.

Esteemed Contributor

I see they have more colors on their website. You can take a quiz to see what color to order. I think I will order it. If it works good you can get on a auto delivery and save 5 dollars. They have more choices on their website then Ulta has.

Valued Contributor

@ccassaday - I'm white around my ears and bangs, otherwise dark blonde with some gray.  It covers well, but fades after about a month.  I don't recolor until about 6 weeks.

Honored Contributor

I have used it many many times, it is a very nice at home coloring system, super easy and everything comes pa kaged very nice...The colors are beautiful,I stopped ordering it because it became really expensive as I have to color my roots every 5-6 weeks.....I started using a cheap hair color brand, but have been thinking about going back to Madison Reed, as my color just looked so much better, more glossier, and healthier.

The cheaper hair color is nice, it colors well, covers my grays, but it just seems kind of like a blah color..

Madison Reed's covers grays really well too....Go on their website and take the quiz...I have used 3 different colors of course all in the same family and I have liked them all......

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Madison Reed hair color

[ Edited ]

I took the quiz and will order tonight. Hopefully without the PPD I will be able to use it. I will report back how I like it. I just do not like my gray hair and am very self conscious about it. I am sure it’s because my auto immune disease. I don’t like how I look at all. I am only 45.

Honored Contributor

Re: Madison Reed hair color

[ Edited ]

I would suggest that if you order it, that you do a patch test on the inside of your elbow the day before you are planning to color.  If there is no irritation, you can use it.

There are so many chemicals in hair color, it would be impossible to figure out what is bothering you.  You can also develop an allergy to a product that you have successfully  used in the past.

My son had a severe reaction to PPD that left him with permanent scars.  That stuff is really dangerous for many people.  Most lighter hair colors do not have PPD in them. Maybe you can try a lighter hair color or get highlights that will blend the gray.