Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

@Love my grandkids wrote:

The only thing I can say is that I can't stand the woman's radio ads. I find them obnoxious for some reason. And I wouldn't spend $25 to color my hair at home.

Before I stopped coloring my hair this year, for years I used Nice 'N Easy for less than $8-$9 a box, sometimes on sale for less.

If you read my post you would see I said I was alllergic to hair color. I would pay anything to find something that works. I hate the gray hair. I look old.  Henna works but it is a all day process and is messy and a pain  to use.

@ccassaday, Reading is fundamental isn't it ?  I hope you find something that works for you.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I would suggest that if you order it, that you do a patch test on the inside of your elbow the day before you are planning to color.  If there is no irritation, you can use it.

There are so many chemicals in hair color, it would be impossible to figure out what is bothering you.  You can also develop an allergy to a product that you have successfully  used in the past.

My son had a severe reaction to PPD that left him with permanent scars.  That stuff is really dangerous for many people.  Most lighter hair colors do not have PPD in them. Maybe you can try a lighter hair color or get highlights that will blend the gray.

I would be way to scared to try anything with PPD in it again. Last time many years ago my face swelled up and I had horrible blisters on my scalp. Weird thing is they did a patch test at the salon and nothing happened.

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I would suggest that if you order it, that you do a patch test on the inside of your elbow the day before you are planning to color.  If there is no irritation, you can use it.

There are so many chemicals in hair color, it would be impossible to figure out what is bothering you.  You can also develop an allergy to a product that you have successfully  used in the past.

My son had a severe reaction to PPD that left him with permanent scars.  That stuff is really dangerous for many people.  Most lighter hair colors do not have PPD in them. Maybe you can try a lighter hair color or get highlights that will blend the gray.

I would be way to scared to try anything with PPD in it again. Last time many years ago my face swelled up and I had horrible blisters on my scalp. Weird thing is they did a patch test at the salon and nothing happened.

My son got a temporary tattoo while we were on vacation in Wildwood, NJ.  The henna used was actually PPD and not real henna. He got an arm band tattoo around his upper arm.  His  blisters so bad that he still has a permanent scar in a decorative band on his arm that is very visible 21 years later.

My other two children got “ tattoos” also, but they had no reaction.

Cosmetic companies use PPD when they need black or dark brown colors.

Some blonde and other lighter colors do not contain PPD, it is used mostly in the darker hair colors.

There are also many dark  hair dyes that do not contain PPD out there.  Always do a patch test before you color, especially if you have had problems before. Once you have an allergy,  it can mess with with your immune system and cause other allergies.

I don’t blame  you one bit for not wanting PPD.  That stuff is dangerous for many people.  I have seen it myself. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

My son got a temporary tattoo while we were on vacation in Wildwood, NJ.  The henna used was actually PPD and not real henna. He got an arm band tattoo around his upper arm.  His  blisters so bad that he still has a permanent scar in a decorative band on his arm that is very visible 21 years later.

My other two children got “ tattoos” also, but they had no reaction.

Cosmetic companies use PPD when they need black or dark brown colors.

Some blonde and other lighter colors do not contain PPD, it is used mostly in the darker hair colors.

There are also many dark  hair dyes that do not contain PPD out there.  Always do a patch test before you color, especially if you have had problems before. Once you have an allergy,  it can mess with with your immune system and cause other allergies.

I don’t blame  you one bit for not wanting PPD.  That stuff is dangerous for many people.  I have seen it myself. 

You have to be really careful with henna because some do have PPD. I had a lot of success with light mountain. It works great. But I don’t want it to take all day and it is so messy.  

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday   I heard of it but no longer color my hair.  When I colored my hair I used Natural Instincts with no ammonia and it did a beautiful job.

kindness is strength