Super Contributor

Re: Mad hippie Vitamin C or Paula's Vitamin C

I am finishing up a bottle of Mad Hippie and will be switching to Paula's Choice. I got a free sample of Paula's vitamin c serum with an order and was really impressed. I do like the one from Mad Hippie but I saw a real difference in the brightness and clarity of my skin in just a few days with Paula's. Good luck with whatever you chooseSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

On 3/22/2014 FUTURE said:
On 3/22/2014 Iwantcoffee said:
On 3/22/2014 HappyDaze said:
On 3/22/2014 Iwantcoffee said:

I have not used either product. Here are the ingredients for each

Mad Hippie Vitamin C

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Vitamin C (STAY-C® 50) – Few ingredients in skin care have as much solid evidence as to their effectiveness as Vitamin C. Proven to enhance collagen production, reduce the appearance of wrinkles, and tighten the skin, this powerful antioxidant is effective at healing sun damage & discoloration, while inhibiting future damage caused by UV exposure. *wear sunscreen daily.

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (STAY-C® 50), a more stable and bioavailable form of Vitamin C than the commonly used L-Ascorbic Acid found in most skin care products, provides the same benefits, without the risk of oxidation and irritation that is often associated with L-Ascorbic Acid.

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Ferulic Acid – A natural antioxidant found in the cell walls of plants. When combined with vitamins C & E, Ferulic Acid has been shown to reduce UV generated skin damage by 8 fold - Read Study

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Vitamin E - Potent natural antioxidant shown to heal and correct skin damage, wrinkles and signs of aging. Vitamin E has been found to have a compounding antioxidant and UV protective effect when used in conjunction with Vitamin C.

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Hyaluronic Acid – Works to smooth and plump up the skin by retaining moisture, aiding in healing and enhancing production & maintenance of collagen. A naturally occurring substance in the body, hyaluronic acid begins to deplete as we age.

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Konjac Root Powder – Exotic flower from Asia, works to effectively soften & smooth the skin while forming a thin protective barrier. Rich in nutrients such as copper, zinc, phosphorus, fatty acids, protein, carbohydrates, lipids, potassium, magnesium, iron, niacin, folic acid & vitamins A, E, C, D & B!

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Grapefruit – Rich in antioxidants & citric acid, grapefruit works to remove dead skin cells, acting as a natural exfoliant, while toning & tightening the skin.

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Chamomile Extract – Provides a thin protective shield, while naturally soothing and calming the skin.

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Clary Sage - Balances the production of sebum, and eliminates over-dry or over-oily skin. Acts as natural toner & astringent with antibacterial & antiseptic qualities.

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;">

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;">

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Paula's Choice Vitamin C

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Product Ingredients:

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; line-height: 1.4; vertical-align: baseline; color: #505050;"> Water, Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C/antioxidant), Ethoxydiglycol (slip agent/penetration enhancer), PPG-26 Buteth-26 (emulsifier), PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil (thickener), Tocopherol (vitamin E/antioxidant), Ferulic Acid (antioxidant), Sodium Hyaluronate (skin-repairing ingredient), Acetyl Octapeptide-3 (cell-communicating ingredient), Glycerin (skin-repairing ingredient), Panthenol (skin conditioning agent), Sodium Metabisulfite (stabilizer/antioxidant), Triethanolamine (pH adjuster), Phenoxyethanol (preservative).

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; line-height: 1.4; vertical-align: baseline; color: #505050;">

That is NOT the complete ingredient list for Mad Hippie's vitamin C. You've listed only their "key" ingredients. The full ingredient list is:

Deionized water, vitamin C (sodium ascorbyl phosphate), alkyl benzoate, vegetable glycerin, water, glycerin, sodium levulinate, sodium anisate, clary sage (salvia sclarea), grapefruit (citrus grandis), hyaluronic acid, amorphophallus konjac root powder, aloe barbadensis leaf, vitamin E (tocotrienol), ferulic acid, chamomile flower extract (recutita matricaria), sodium phytate, xanthan gum, hydroxyethylcellulose

It's from their website. Tell them if you don't like it.

http://www.madhippie.com/shop/vitamin-c-serum/

The info HD provided was from the website. It's under "additional information". Sheesh.

lol, yeah, get mad at me for wanting to make sure people have the full complete ingredient list, which also came from their own website? So silly. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Respected Contributor

I really liked Mad Hippie at first, but started having sensitivity to it (redness that stopped when I discontinued it). I've been using Paula's Choice for several months and I love it. My skin is pretty nice anyway, so I didn't really expect any changes, just maintaining from previous Vit C products. Honestly, I've seen smoother skin and lightening of a couple of dark spots that had developed. There was a bit of a learning curve, because I wanted to use it as a straight serum in the morning, not mixed in with anything (they say not to mix it with spf moisturizer because it can diminish the spf effect)--it doesn't apply really smoothly on my bare skin, but if my skin is slightly damp after washing, it's goes on perfectly. I love this stuff and am starting my second bottle tomorrow.

Super Contributor

I have not used the Paula product but just ordered my second bottle of Mad Hippie. It's working well for me.
Valued Contributor

I LOVE Mad Hippie! I have what my derm has labeled as "sensitive/highly reactive" skin and I've had nothing but great results from Mad Hippie. I've used the vit C serum, cream, and eye cream. I also use the serum on the back of my hands and it has lightened up a couple of spots I've had there for years. I ALWAYS follow it with an spf 50 that my derm recommended.

Haven't used Paula's Choice and am not even tempted. I disagree on too many things with her reviews and I appreciate that I can get Mad Hippie at my local Whole Foods rather than charging yet another thing on my credit card.

Trusted Contributor

I tried a sample of Paula's Choice, and it felt a bit oily on my skin. That's a deal breaker. I like Mad Hippie, NCN and Isomers vitamin c serums. As with all skincare products, I can't see that they make any difference whatsoever on my skin, but I hope they are preventing future damage.

Super Contributor

On 3/22/2014 HappyDaze said:

Between those two, Paula's choice is my preference. Mad Hippie irritated my skin (I do not have particularly sensitive skin) and I do not like the fact that it has a standard dropper dispenser which allows light and air into the product, which will cause the vitamin C to become less stable (i.e. less effective) more quickly.The company will tell you that their special formula of Vitamin C doesn't degrade as quickly but I have not found any independent evidence, only that which they provide, that can validate such a claim. I'd personally rather not take the chance of buying a vitamin C product only to have it degrade quickly (waste of money) but that is just me. However, you could transfer it to a another container with an airless pump mechanism, which would then solve that issue.

Paula's Choice comes with a dropper but supposedly she has addressed the issue with a special dispenser that essentially seals the container once the dropper is removed, preventing light and air in. Personally, I am not real convinced of that mechanism either, lol, so if I were to purchase the full size (I've been using a sample), I'd also transfer it to a container with an airless pump dispenser. Plus I really hate the messiness of droppers in general. Her Vitamin C did not irritate my skin and is very, very nice. If I did not already use another vitamin C product, I would purchase hers.

Like JLF said though, there are many recent posts about vitamin C that you can read if you do a search for Vitamin C on the forums.

According to this recent study of l-Ascorbic Acid (LAA) Magnesium ascorbyl phosphate (MAP) and Sodium ascorbyl phosphate (SAP or StayC-50 in Mad Hippie's) the SAP looks superior in stability.

Link

ETA: I tested the link without success. I'll try again later.

Testing this LINK..............URRR it's not working

Super Contributor

I haven't tried Mad Hippie because my face doesn't like grapefruit, but it is a well received product and like others have said, uses a different kind of Vitamin C, which may (or may not) be more stable. I LOVE the Paula's Choice vitamin C - no irritation, and such great brightening and fading results for me. I was using Skinceuticals CE Ferulic, and Paula's product is absolutely as good, if not better.
Regular Contributor

Thanks to all for your help
Honored Contributor

I haven't used Paula's, but I love the Mad Hippie! I love it sinks in quickly. Thanks to Jean L F for the heads' up on this product!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"