Regular Contributor

Mad hippie Vitamin C or Paula's Vitamin C

I was wondering if anyone can compare the 2? I am uncertain what the difference is.
Honored Contributor

Re: Mad hippie Vitamin C or Paula's Vitamin C

There have been lots of threads about these two products. There are many loyal fans of each of them here. I bet you'll find lots of info if you use the search feature.

Regular Contributor

I have never uses Paula's C, but I recently tried Mad Hippie Vitamin C serum after reading a few positive reviews on this board. I broke out from it, which is odd because I am not usually sensitive to products. I also tried the eye cream and face cream and was not at all impressed. I have heard positive feedback with Paula's C so I may try that next. I am currently using a vitamin c serum from Blue Mercury that I love but it is pricey.

Respected Contributor

I have not used either product. Here are the ingredients for each

Mad Hippie Vitamin C

Vitamin C (STAY-C® 50) – Few ingredients in skin care have as much solid evidence as to their effectiveness as Vitamin C. Proven to enhance collagen production, reduce the appearance of wrinkles, and tighten the skin, this powerful antioxidant is effective at healing sun damage & discoloration, while inhibiting future damage caused by UV exposure. *wear sunscreen daily.

Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (STAY-C® 50), a more stable and bioavailable form of Vitamin C than the commonly used L-Ascorbic Acid found in most skin care products, provides the same benefits, without the risk of oxidation and irritation that is often associated with L-Ascorbic Acid.

Ferulic Acid – A natural antioxidant found in the cell walls of plants. When combined with vitamins C & E, Ferulic Acid has been shown to reduce UV generated skin damage by 8 fold - Read Study

Vitamin E - Potent natural antioxidant shown to heal and correct skin damage, wrinkles and signs of aging. Vitamin E has been found to have a compounding antioxidant and UV protective effect when used in conjunction with Vitamin C.

Hyaluronic Acid – Works to smooth and plump up the skin by retaining moisture, aiding in healing and enhancing production & maintenance of collagen. A naturally occurring substance in the body, hyaluronic acid begins to deplete as we age.

Konjac Root Powder – Exotic flower from Asia, works to effectively soften & smooth the skin while forming a thin protective barrier. Rich in nutrients such as copper, zinc, phosphorus, fatty acids, protein, carbohydrates, lipids, potassium, magnesium, iron, niacin, folic acid & vitamins A, E, C, D & B!

Grapefruit – Rich in antioxidants & citric acid, grapefruit works to remove dead skin cells, acting as a natural exfoliant, while toning & tightening the skin.

Chamomile Extract – Provides a thin protective shield, while naturally soothing and calming the skin.

Clary Sage - Balances the production of sebum, and eliminates over-dry or over-oily skin. Acts as natural toner & astringent with antibacterial & antiseptic qualities.

Paula's Choice Vitamin C

Product Ingredients:

Water, Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C/antioxidant), Ethoxydiglycol (slip agent/penetration enhancer), PPG-26 Buteth-26 (emulsifier), PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil (thickener), Tocopherol (vitamin E/antioxidant), Ferulic Acid (antioxidant), Sodium Hyaluronate (skin-repairing ingredient), Acetyl Octapeptide-3 (cell-communicating ingredient), Glycerin (skin-repairing ingredient), Panthenol (skin conditioning agent), Sodium Metabisulfite (stabilizer/antioxidant), Triethanolamine (pH adjuster), Phenoxyethanol (preservative).

Honored Contributor

On 3/22/2014 Iwantcoffee said:

Mad Hippie Vitamin C

Vitamin C (STAY-C® 50) – Few ingredients in skin care have as much solid evidence as to their effectiveness as Vitamin C. Proven to enhance collagen production, reduce the appearance of wrinkles, and tighten the skin, this powerful antioxidant is effective at healing sun damage & discoloration, while inhibiting future damage caused by UV exposure. *wear sunscreen daily.

Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (STAY-C® 50), a more stable and bioavailable form of Vitamin C than the commonly used L-Ascorbic Acid found in most skin care products, provides the same benefits, without the risk of oxidation and irritation that is often associated with L-Ascorbic Acid.

Ferulic Acid – A natural antioxidant found in the cell walls of plants. When combined with vitamins C & E, Ferulic Acid has been shown to reduce UV generated skin damage by 8 fold - Read Study

Vitamin E - Potent natural antioxidant shown to heal and correct skin damage, wrinkles and signs of aging. Vitamin E has been found to have a compounding antioxidant and UV protective effect when used in conjunction with Vitamin C.

Hyaluronic Acid – Works to smooth and plump up the skin by retaining moisture, aiding in healing and enhancing production & maintenance of collagen. A naturally occurring substance in the body, hyaluronic acid begins to deplete as we age.

Konjac Root Powder – Exotic flower from Asia, works to effectively soften & smooth the skin while forming a thin protective barrier. Rich in nutrients such as copper, zinc, phosphorus, fatty acids, protein, carbohydrates, lipids, potassium, magnesium, iron, niacin, folic acid & vitamins A, E, C, D & B!

Grapefruit – Rich in antioxidants & citric acid, grapefruit works to remove dead skin cells, acting as a natural exfoliant, while toning & tightening the skin.

Chamomile Extract – Provides a thin protective shield, while naturally soothing and calming the skin.

Clary Sage - Balances the production of sebum, and eliminates over-dry or over-oily skin. Acts as natural toner & astringent with antibacterial & antiseptic qualities.

Paula's Choice Vitamin C

Product Ingredients:

Water, Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C/antioxidant), Ethoxydiglycol (slip agent/penetration enhancer), PPG-26 Buteth-26 (emulsifier), PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil (thickener), Tocopherol (vitamin E/antioxidant), Ferulic Acid (antioxidant), Sodium Hyaluronate (skin-repairing ingredient), Acetyl Octapeptide-3 (cell-communicating ingredient), Glycerin (skin-repairing ingredient), Panthenol (skin conditioning agent), Sodium Metabisulfite (stabilizer/antioxidant), Triethanolamine (pH adjuster), Phenoxyethanol (preservative).

That is NOT the complete ingredient list for Mad Hippie's vitamin C. You've listed only their "key" ingredients. The full ingredient list is:

Deionized water, vitamin C (sodium ascorbyl phosphate), alkyl benzoate, vegetable glycerin, water, glycerin, sodium levulinate, sodium anisate, clary sage (salvia sclarea), grapefruit (citrus grandis), hyaluronic acid, amorphophallus konjac root powder, aloe barbadensis leaf, vitamin E (tocotrienol), ferulic acid, chamomile flower extract (recutita matricaria), sodium phytate, xanthan gum, hydroxyethylcellulose.

Honored Contributor

Between those two, Paula's choice is my preference. Mad Hippie irritated my skin (I do not have particularly sensitive skin) and I do not like the fact that it has a standard dropper dispenser which allows light and air into the product, which will cause the vitamin C to become less stable (i.e. less effective) more quickly.The company will tell you that their special formula of Vitamin C doesn't degrade as quickly but I have not found any independent evidence, only that which they provide, that can validate such a claim. I'd personally rather not take the chance of buying a vitamin C product only to have it degrade quickly (waste of money) but that is just me. However, you could transfer it to a another container with an airless pump mechanism, which would then solve that issue.

Paula's Choice comes with a dropper but supposedly she has addressed the issue with a special dispenser that essentially seals the container once the dropper is removed, preventing light and air in. Personally, I am not real convinced of that mechanism either, lol, so if I were to purchase the full size (I've been using a sample), I'd also transfer it to a container with an airless pump dispenser. Plus I really hate the messiness of droppers in general. Her Vitamin C did not irritate my skin and is very, very nice. If I did not already use another vitamin C product, I would purchase hers.

Like JLF said though, there are many recent posts about vitamin C that you can read if you do a search for Vitamin C on the forums.

Super Contributor

Here, let me add to your confusion: Check out NCN's Vit C. Lots of fans for that one, too. :-) You're welcome.

www.ncnskincare.com

Respected Contributor

On 3/22/2014 HappyDaze said:

Mad Hippie Vitamin C

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Vitamin C (STAY-C® 50) – Few ingredients in skin care have as much solid evidence as to their effectiveness as Vitamin C. Proven to enhance collagen production, reduce the appearance of wrinkles, and tighten the skin, this powerful antioxidant is effective at healing sun damage & discoloration, while inhibiting future damage caused by UV exposure. *wear sunscreen daily.

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (STAY-C® 50), a more stable and bioavailable form of Vitamin C than the commonly used L-Ascorbic Acid found in most skin care products, provides the same benefits, without the risk of oxidation and irritation that is often associated with L-Ascorbic Acid.

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Ferulic Acid – A natural antioxidant found in the cell walls of plants. When combined with vitamins C & E, Ferulic Acid has been shown to reduce UV generated skin damage by 8 fold - Read Study

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Vitamin E - Potent natural antioxidant shown to heal and correct skin damage, wrinkles and signs of aging. Vitamin E has been found to have a compounding antioxidant and UV protective effect when used in conjunction with Vitamin C.

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Hyaluronic Acid – Works to smooth and plump up the skin by retaining moisture, aiding in healing and enhancing production & maintenance of collagen. A naturally occurring substance in the body, hyaluronic acid begins to deplete as we age.

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Konjac Root Powder – Exotic flower from Asia, works to effectively soften & smooth the skin while forming a thin protective barrier. Rich in nutrients such as copper, zinc, phosphorus, fatty acids, protein, carbohydrates, lipids, potassium, magnesium, iron, niacin, folic acid & vitamins A, E, C, D & B!

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Grapefruit – Rich in antioxidants & citric acid, grapefruit works to remove dead skin cells, acting as a natural exfoliant, while toning & tightening the skin.

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Chamomile Extract – Provides a thin protective shield, while naturally soothing and calming the skin.

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Clary Sage - Balances the production of sebum, and eliminates over-dry or over-oily skin. Acts as natural toner & astringent with antibacterial & antiseptic qualities.

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;">

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;">

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Paula's Choice Vitamin C

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Product Ingredients:

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; line-height: 1.4; vertical-align: baseline; color: #505050;"> Water, Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C/antioxidant), Ethoxydiglycol (slip agent/penetration enhancer), PPG-26 Buteth-26 (emulsifier), PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil (thickener), Tocopherol (vitamin E/antioxidant), Ferulic Acid (antioxidant), Sodium Hyaluronate (skin-repairing ingredient), Acetyl Octapeptide-3 (cell-communicating ingredient), Glycerin (skin-repairing ingredient), Panthenol (skin conditioning agent), Sodium Metabisulfite (stabilizer/antioxidant), Triethanolamine (pH adjuster), Phenoxyethanol (preservative).

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; line-height: 1.4; vertical-align: baseline; color: #505050;">

That is NOT the complete ingredient list for Mad Hippie's vitamin C. You've listed only their "key" ingredients. The full ingredient list is:

Deionized water, vitamin C (sodium ascorbyl phosphate), alkyl benzoate, vegetable glycerin, water, glycerin, sodium levulinate, sodium anisate, clary sage (salvia sclarea), grapefruit (citrus grandis), hyaluronic acid, amorphophallus konjac root powder, aloe barbadensis leaf, vitamin E (tocotrienol), ferulic acid, chamomile flower extract (recutita matricaria), sodium phytate, xanthan gum, hydroxyethylcellulose

It's from their website. Tell them if you don't like it.

http://www.madhippie.com/shop/vitamin-c-serum/

Honored Contributor

I can only speak for myself. I've been using Mad Hippie Vitamin C Serum for several months, probably since last summer and haven't had any adverse reaction. I'm really quite pleased with it. Since then, I've added other MH products to my routine; Antioxidant Facial Oil, Eye Cream, Face Cream, and I've had a very positive experience with all of them.

Respected Contributor

On 3/22/2014 HappyDaze said:

Mad Hippie Vitamin C

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Vitamin C (STAY-C® 50) – Few ingredients in skin care have as much solid evidence as to their effectiveness as Vitamin C. Proven to enhance collagen production, reduce the appearance of wrinkles, and tighten the skin, this powerful antioxidant is effective at healing sun damage & discoloration, while inhibiting future damage caused by UV exposure. *wear sunscreen daily.

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (STAY-C® 50), a more stable and bioavailable form of Vitamin C than the commonly used L-Ascorbic Acid found in most skin care products, provides the same benefits, without the risk of oxidation and irritation that is often associated with L-Ascorbic Acid.

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Ferulic Acid – A natural antioxidant found in the cell walls of plants. When combined with vitamins C & E, Ferulic Acid has been shown to reduce UV generated skin damage by 8 fold - Read Study

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Vitamin E - Potent natural antioxidant shown to heal and correct skin damage, wrinkles and signs of aging. Vitamin E has been found to have a compounding antioxidant and UV protective effect when used in conjunction with Vitamin C.

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Hyaluronic Acid – Works to smooth and plump up the skin by retaining moisture, aiding in healing and enhancing production & maintenance of collagen. A naturally occurring substance in the body, hyaluronic acid begins to deplete as we age.

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Konjac Root Powder – Exotic flower from Asia, works to effectively soften & smooth the skin while forming a thin protective barrier. Rich in nutrients such as copper, zinc, phosphorus, fatty acids, protein, carbohydrates, lipids, potassium, magnesium, iron, niacin, folic acid & vitamins A, E, C, D & B!

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Grapefruit – Rich in antioxidants & citric acid, grapefruit works to remove dead skin cells, acting as a natural exfoliant, while toning & tightening the skin.

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Chamomile Extract – Provides a thin protective shield, while naturally soothing and calming the skin.

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Clary Sage - Balances the production of sebum, and eliminates over-dry or over-oily skin. Acts as natural toner & astringent with antibacterial & antiseptic qualities.

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Paula's Choice Vitamin C

<p style="margin-top: 0px; color: #292529; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Hevetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 23.799999237060547px;"> Product Ingredients:

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; line-height: 1.4; vertical-align: baseline; color: #505050;"> Water, Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C/antioxidant), Ethoxydiglycol (slip agent/penetration enhancer), PPG-26 Buteth-26 (emulsifier), PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil (thickener), Tocopherol (vitamin E/antioxidant), Ferulic Acid (antioxidant), Sodium Hyaluronate (skin-repairing ingredient), Acetyl Octapeptide-3 (cell-communicating ingredient), Glycerin (skin-repairing ingredient), Panthenol (skin conditioning agent), Sodium Metabisulfite (stabilizer/antioxidant), Triethanolamine (pH adjuster), Phenoxyethanol (preservative).

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; line-height: 1.4; vertical-align: baseline; color: #505050;">

Deionized water, vitamin C (sodium ascorbyl phosphate), alkyl benzoate, vegetable glycerin, water, glycerin, sodium levulinate, sodium anisate, clary sage (salvia sclarea), grapefruit (citrus grandis), hyaluronic acid, amorphophallus konjac root powder, aloe barbadensis leaf, vitamin E (tocotrienol), ferulic acid, chamomile flower extract (recutita matricaria), sodium phytate, xanthan gum, hydroxyethylcellulose

It's from their website. Tell them if you don't like it.

http://www.madhippie.com/shop/vitamin-c-serum/

The info HD provided was from the website. It's under "additional information". Sheesh.