Honored Contributor

Mad Hippie and Badescu Vit. C Yellow. Toss?

After reading that Vitamin C shouldn't be yellow, I noticed my Badescu and Mad Hippie ARE both yellow!  Toss?

Do any of these come yellow?  I am curious Yellow (you gotta be OLD t get that one!)! Woman Wink

Anyway, I am probably going to toss and get something new.  I didn't think these were very old, but maybe I am forgetful!  

Respected Contributor

Re: Mad Hippie and Badescu Vit. C Yellow. Toss?

I got it so I must be old 😁. Vitamin C serums will start to oxidize after opening so I would only have one open at a time and use it consistently. I do find that keeping it in the refrigerator slows the oxidation process. I use Timeless Vitamin C serum which has a pump delivery system and it never turns color when I keep it in the fridge.

Honored Contributor

My Vita C from Missha came yellow.  The expiration date is 2 years from now.  It also has other ingredients in it tho.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner   Personally, I have never seen any results with Vit. C serum so toss it and select a different serum that works.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

I admit, I did read this fast but was wondering what the heck Vit C serum had to do w/yellowing your toes! Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yellow or brown color of a VC serum is a good indicator that it has oxidized and is no longer effective. When VC oxidizes it loses it's acidity and that means it won't absorb into the skin so it's useless.

A better way to check your VC serum (ascorbic acid types) for it's effectiveness is by checking the acidity, the pH, of the serum with pH strips (litmus paper). Your (ascorbic acid) serum should be between 3 and 4. You can buy pH strips from Amazon. With this one you pull out a small section, about an inch long piece, and then place a drop of serum onto the strip. It will change color and match the color to the chart shown on the package. Easy peasy.  This cost less than $9 and you will have it for a very long time. The strip measure 1/4-inch wide. Store it in a dry place and don't touch the strip where you'll be testing.

Amazon.com: Hydrion Ph paper (93) with Dispenser and Color Chart - Full  range Insta Chek ph- 0-13 (Limited Edition): Home Improvement

ETA - Mad Hippie uses SAP VC which has a much higher pH of 6 to 7. However, that can still oxidize.

Honored Contributor

@wishmoon wrote:

I admit, I did read this fast but was wondering what the heck Vit C serum had to do w/yellowing your toes! Smiley LOL

@wishmoon I do that too--a LOT!  And some I wouldn't dare admit to!  Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee OH how great!  It will let me know and be a lot of fun to do!  I'm all over testing!  THANKS!  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@SilleeMee OH how great!  It will let me know and be a lot of fun to do!  I'm all over testing!  THANKS!  

@SilleeMee Got my test strip kit on the way and can't wait!  I love stuff like this!  Thanks again!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@SilleeMee Got my test strip kit on the way and can't wait!  I love stuff like this!  Thanks again!

You're welcomeWoman Happy @Sooner 

It's science! I love it, too!