Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Mac Cosmetics foundation colors. This may help.

@Dusty1 wrote:

I don't have all of the answers, but I have been using Mac for 100 years, so I know some.

Mac colors are based on the art theory that warm colors have red (so pink toned foundations are considered warm) & yellow/olive tones are considered cool, because of...who knows, but that is what they do.

Pink/Peach=NW shades

Yellow/Olive=NC shades

Very yellow=C shades=

Neutral with no strong yellow or pink tones=N

The numbers are the depth of color NW5 is very pale with a neutral leaning pink tone.

NW or NC 20 is fair to light. Pink or golden tone.

NW58 is very deep toned skin with pink/red shading.

If you go to the Mac site they give a nice description for each color of foundation-

N4-VERY FAIR BEIGE WITH NEUTRAL UNDERTONES FOR LIGHT SKIN (NEUTRAL)

Concealers are the same. So if you want to cover a spot on your face, you may want to go with an NC shade to neutralize any redness.
If you want to neutralize blue circles under your eyes, you may want an NW shade.
Or you can just match your skin tone & that is fine.

Another thing is the Back To Mac program. You collect 6 containers-foundation, mascara, blush, plastic eyeliner tubes, etc when you are done with them. Return them to a Mac counter or online & you get to choose a free lipstick!!

@Dusty1  - excellent/helpful info, thank you!

This is an excellent makeup brand. I use several products and have been for years

The makeup artists that I know utilize this brand - they don't seem to be confused or challenged by using any of the products Woman Very Happy

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Trusted Contributor

I've said this several times whenever the infamous MAC comments with regard to the undertones with their complexion items.  Whomever marketed (not necessarily created) the line is dyslexic

Warm = yellow/olive  Cool = Red/Pink, PERIOD.

If you insist on using the line just bear this in mind while navigating through the product descriptions.  They are totally reversed.

Honored Contributor

@fitfuninformed wrote:

I've said this several times whenever the infamous MAC comments with regard to the undertones with their complexion items.  Whomever marketed (not necessarily created) the line is dyslexic

Warm = yellow/olive  Cool = Red/Pink, PERIOD.

If you insist on using the line just bear this in mind while navigating through the product descriptions.  They are totally reversed.

This is an excellent makeup brand. I use several products and have been for years

The makeup artists that I know utilize this brand - they don't seem to be confused or challenged by using any of the products

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy DI stopped buying MAC 5 years ago.  Nars or Estee Lauder for me.  I swore by MAC when I was working.  had to reapply too often.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

MAC makes it even more confusing because for me I try to match my neck to my face.  So the shade I buy is always lighter.  I have to go into Sephora,Ulta or department stores when I want change up with my foundation.  I get samples of things with help and come home and play around with everything until I decide which is best for me. 

Then, I have a winter color and a summer shade of foundation. 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

I haven't worn MAC foundation in many years, but I remember when I did try it, it turned orangey on my medium tan skin with yellow undertones, so maybe I wasn't matched with the right color! My oldest daughter loves MAC and that is all she uses, and her makeup looks beautiful! 

I do love their lippies!!!!!!