Super Contributor

MUAC Makeup Artists Choice Peel Questions Lactic Glycolic Salicylic Mandelic Acid TCA Jessner Peel

I really want to try some at home peels. I don't have any wrinkles but have a good amount of dark acne scarring. also, my skin is more dry now so I don't want something that will get rid of dry skin and exacerbate dryness.

I've tried lots of drugstore and department store peels and tolerate them all well. none really had any effect on my scarring and I wonder if that's because they are all superficial peels. So far I have tried Dr. Gross Alpha Beta Extra Strength, Philosophy Triple Acid Peel, Kate Somerville Clinic to Go Lactic Acid Peel, Alpha Hydrox. I am scheduled for a doctor's office peel (30% glycolic acid supposedly).

Really tempted to try an at home TCA peel but have read some horror stories online about bad reactions and scarring.

Anyone want to share their peel advice? Anyone have any experience with TCA peels?

Also, interested in MUAC peels. Was thinking about the Lactic Acid (guess I should start with 40%), Radiance Peel (alpha beta w/ mandolin and fruit acids) and the Fade Peel (glycolic 30%, lactic acid 20%, kojic acid 2%, malice acid 3%, etc). Basically, I want to get rid of acne scarring, improve texture, and promote collagen.

Also, was curious about the Gly-Luronic Acid Serum (15% glycolic and 50% hyaluronic) and the 5 Acid Body Peel (20% lactic acid, 5% glycolic acid, 5% mandelic acid, 2% citric Acid, 1% Salicylic Acid).

Found this online:

Superficial:
glycolic (30% - 50%), lactic, salicylic, mandelic, enzyme peels, Jessner’s, and specialty blends

Medium:
TCA (15% - 35%), glycolic (51%+), and Jessner’s

Deep:
TCA peels (40%+)[3]
Phenol Peels

Trusted Contributor

Re: MUAC Makeup Artists Choice Peel Questions Lactic Glycolic Salicylic Mandelic Acid TCA Jessner Peel

Since you are already scheduled for a doctor's peel, I'd start by asking him/her what they would recommend as they will be able to readily see the scarring you are trying to address. They can assess how deep the scarring goes and the level of peel that would be necessary to reach it. You should also inquire about which type of peel is most suitable (glycolic, lactic, etc) and what a TCA would do.

Hopefully you will acquire enough accurate information to then make appropriate decisions for your specific scarring. While you may get some good ideas here on the BB regarding peels in general, none can actually see your scarring whereas your doctor will be able to make a much more informed and detailed assessment.

I had professional peels done monthly through much of my forties and they made such a difference in delaying the onset of aging as well as sunspots and other pigmentation issues. I really abused the sun when younger and should have had a much bigger problem with visible sunspots and hyper-pigmentation in my 40's than I did and I credit that to the regular peels I received during that time. My doctor also kept gradually increasing the strength of the peels so my skin tolerated them well and my super dry skin was never affected.

Respected Contributor

Re: MUAC Makeup Artists Choice Peel Questions Lactic Glycolic Salicylic Mandelic Acid TCA Jessner Peel

Deep peels are not for the faint of heart or, imho, do be done at home. The worst problems you could have include scarring, burns, etc. Speak w/your derm when you go for your 30% peel about a 'game plan' and good luck.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Actually my peel is at a beauty clinic so no doctors around. I don't completely trust their opinion because they usually want to just sell me more stuff.

Super Contributor

You had to peel me off the ceiling with the MUAC Fade Peel. I think I lasted one minute, maybe two minutes. The stinging does not stop. As I recall, ideal time to leave on is 5 minutes. I also have the 40% Lactic and I can tolerate that one fine, feel it stinging but not badly. I have a low tolerance for pain.

My only advice is that if you feel it really stings or burn, get it off! Some use a neutralizing serum and some you can rinse off with water. MUAC has excellent instructions. My understanding is that you can build up your tolerance, however, I have no desire to do so!

Beauty blogger and YTer who loves it all! Cheers, Lulu Bea aka Lulu On Beauty - Let's be FACEBOOK beauty friends!
Respected Contributor

I have done at home peels from MUAC. I've done the 40% lactic and 30% glycolic with no trouble at all. I have a friend who used to pay lots of money for TCA peels at the derm. She now does them at home with no adverse effects.
Trusted Contributor

I did my first MUAC Radiance Peel a week ago and my second one today. These peels can be done a week apart.

I purchased the 15ml size bottle of the Radiance Peel and also their Post Peel Neutralizing Solution. I can probably get around 10 peels out of the little 15ml bottle. I applied the Radiance Peel all over my face (avoiding the eye area and lips, of course) with a Q-tip, waited five minutes (used a kitchen timer), rinsed it off with water, washed my face with Simple Moisturizing Face Wash (pH 6), and applied the Post Peel Neutralizing Solution with a cotton ball.

Did the peel sting? Yes, a bit. Was it painful? No. Did it turn my skin red? No.

After a while, I rinsed off the Neutralizing Solution and applied a moisturizer. That was it.

I did a patch test on my jawline/neck first before doing the peel and I could tolerate the 5 minutes just fine but everyone is different. Do the patch test first!

Also, I stopped using all peel pads, acids, retinol, and Retin-A at least 24 hours before I did the Radiance Peel. I resumed my regular routine 24 hours after I did the peel.

My skin is normal/oily T-zone but I had super-duper oily skin and acne from the onset of puberty until menopause. I also have acne scars and sun damage I want to address with the peels. Since this is only my second peel, I don't have any fabulous changes to my skin to report.

My skin didn't peel at all with the Radiance Peel and I only had a tiny bit of flaking around my mouth/chin area. That was it, no big deal.

I've started with the Radiance Peel with the goal of slowly working my way up through MUAC's peels to a mild TCA peel by the end of the year. Read the MUAC Testimonials Page to get an idea of what other people used to address their particular concerns and if you still can't figure out which peel to try, call up MUAC and talk to them about it.

Respected Contributor

On 2/11/2014 Sweet Susie said:

I did my first MUAC Radiance Peel a week ago and my second one today. These peels can be done a week apart.

I purchased the 15ml size bottle of the Radiance Peel and also their Post Peel Neutralizing Solution. I can probably get around 10 peels out of the little 15ml bottle. I applied the Radiance Peel all over my face (avoiding the eye area and lips, of course) with a Q-tip, waited five minutes (used a kitchen timer), rinsed it off with water, washed my face with Simple Moisturizing Face Wash (pH 6), and applied the Post Peel Neutralizing Solution with a cotton ball.

Did the peel sting? Yes, a bit. Was it painful? No. Did it turn my skin red? No.

After a while, I rinsed off the Neutralizing Solution and applied a moisturizer. That was it.

I did a patch test on my jawline/neck first before doing the peel and I could tolerate the 5 minutes just fine but everyone is different. Do the patch test first!

Also, I stopped using all peel pads, acids, retinol, and Retin-A at least 24 hours before I did the Radiance Peel. I resumed my regular routine 24 hours after I did the peel.

My skin is normal/oily T-zone but I had super-duper oily skin and acne from the onset of puberty until menopause. I also have acne scars and sun damage I want to address with the peels. Since this is only my second peel, I don't have any fabulous changes to my skin to report.

My skin didn't peel at all with the Radiance Peel and I only had a tiny bit of flaking around my mouth/chin area. That was it, no big deal.

I've started with the Radiance Peel with the goal of slowly working my way up through MUAC's peels to a mild TCA peel by the end of the year. Read the MUAC Testimonials Page to get an idea of what other people used to address their particular concerns and if you still can't figure out which peel to try, call up MUAC and talk to them about it.

Good advice, good post. Reminds me I should stop by that site and take a look around. It's been awhile.
Super Contributor

I would highly recommend contacting MUAC to ask them what peel they would recommend. Their customer service is outstanding and they will be able to recommend the right peel for you after talking with you about your skin.

Super Contributor

Thanks for all the replies. I did try to call them today and it was an answering service (during regular hours). They said someone would get back to me.