Contributor
My aunt is I her 60s and has had MOHS surgery on her nose, followed by a skin graft. The graft is noticeably different in color/texture and will likely change as she heals. Does anybody have a good suggestion for coverage of this type of scar? She does not wear make-up (like nothing) and my suggestion was going to be a tinted mineral sunscreen all over, then a full coverage concealer like a Bye-bye maybe. We'll need to test out for colors or I might have jumped on the shape tape which might not be too drying in the nose area. I think we'll be safer trying things in the store with a preference for ulta, initially, based on availability. Thanks
Esteemed Contributor

Re: MOHS surgery scar coverage

Call the doctors office where the procedure was done, they may have a product or suggestions. 

Honored Contributor

@JeanKC   I have exactly the same problem after Mohs surgery.  I think I notice it more than other people.  I've had it 2 years and it hasn't corrected itself but I didn't expect it to.  I find the IT foundation gives me excellent coverage, although nothing covers as well as my mask which I may wear forever. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is the coloration darkish in tone or reddish in tone? If it's going to have a reddish tone, a green color corrector might make it look less noticeable. If it's a dark area, similar to the color of under eye circles, a peach color corrector can work. You apply these before you apply a concealer. There's also complete coverage makeups that you can just cover the area and blend out the eyes of the makeup to blur any demarcation. One brand is called Dermablend. Ulta sells it.

Honored Contributor

@JeanKC   If she's not used to wearing makeup at all, a full coverage foundation all over may be a bit of a shock.  I'd suggest something like Dermablend matched well to her skin tone so it doesn't make the area stand out more. If the scar is not flat, there really isn't a way to cover that issue. Good luck with your aunt.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D   I think we offered the same suggestion at the same time.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus  @JeanKC   @Mindy D    Here's a picture of my Mohs face.  The surgery was from right under my right eye, down to right above my lip.  I have absolutely no make up on.  You can see the skin is lighter under the eye and on my nose.  It's also a different texture.  The most amazing thing is that the surgery erased the line by my mouth but on the right side only.  I'm sort of lop-sided. 

I find that the IT Foundation evens the skin tone and covers well.  It's not a heavy feel.  Since we're still mandated to wear masks, I don't bother with it usually when I go out.

20211028_152903.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanKC wrote:
My aunt is I her 60s and has had MOHS surgery on her nose, followed by a skin graft. The graft is noticeably different in color/texture and will likely change as she heals. Does anybody have a good suggestion for coverage of this type of scar? She does not wear make-up (like nothing) and my suggestion was going to be a tinted mineral sunscreen all over, then a full coverage concealer like a Bye-bye maybe. We'll need to test out for colors or I might have jumped on the shape tape which might not be too drying in the nose area. I think we'll be safer trying things in the store with a preference for ulta, initially, based on availability. Thanks

@JeanKC 49EA1BE3-9715-4C40-9951-5CCD7CA6B883.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   On a positive note, you have a non-cancerous face with a cute white pixie haircut. How much worse life would be (or wouldn't be at all), if it wasn't caught and treated. Heart

Honored Contributor

@Shanus    Absolutely!