Honored Contributor

MICROFIBER WASHCLOTHS

[ Edited ]

OK, so what's in those cloths that take off makeup w/o cleanser and how do you wash all the waterproof stuff off the cloths without using bleach?

I purchase white washcloths at Target, dozen to a pack for $7.99. I can use a fresh one twice a day, toss in the hamper and wash w/ bleach to make sure they're clean. 

I just don't get this product. 

Honored Contributor

Re: MICROFIBER WASHCLOTHS

[ Edited ]

I've been using mf products for a long time. One of the places where I buy them recommends washing mf towels in very hot water with 'free&clear' type liquid detergent, no bleach and dry on low heat w/o softeners. Launder them only with other mf towels or with items which do not produce lint. Do not wash or dry mf towels with cotton items, such as cotton towels, sheets or garments. If you need to disinfect mf towels, use only non-bleach disinfectants such as Lysol and rinse twice.

Microfiber fabric is extremely chummy with oil, grease and dye...that's what it's designed to do. So if you can remove most makeup before using mf towels then that should help prevent them from getting stained or dingy looking.

Esteemed Contributor

Me neither - re:  microfiber 4  face.   I'm not even wild about the dusting cloths but they do pick up dust.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee That's a lot of 'instructions' for a wash cloth.  Love the damp wipes in a package - wash and toss.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I buy a month's worth of mf face cloths and launder all of them together at the end of the month. I found a place that sells a box of 50 soft white mf cloths and they are the perfect weight and soft terry texture for cleansing my face...less than $20.  Love them.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I've been using mf products for a long time. One of the places where I buy them recommends washing mf towels in very hot water with 'free&clear' type liquid detergent, no bleach and dry on low heat w/o softeners. Launder them only with other mf towels or with items which do not produce lint. Do not wash or dry mf towels with cotton items, such as cotton towels, sheets or garments. If you need to disinfect mf towels, use only non-bleach disinfectants such as Lysol and rinse twice.

Microfiber fabric is extremely chummy with oil, grease and dye. So if you can remove most makeup before using mf towels then that should help prevent them from getting stained or dingy looking.

@SilleeMee   Thanks. Sure sounds like a lot of extra care for a washcloth. I do use mf towels for my hair and have had the same ones for years. I wash them w/ the load of towels, no special instructions, cleaning agents, etc. I think I'll pass. 

Trusted Contributor

I tried to use these.  However, as someone with dry, super sensitive skin it was a very painful experience that I will never repeat.  I do use the clothes to clean my make-up brushes.  They are abfab for that, in my opinion.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

They work much better for me than a washcloth, will not be without them. The fabric is different than a cotton washcloth, I would say they almost feel "rubbery". I have no need to bleach them the makeup washes right out.

Edited to add, I have never washed them separate from my regular towels and dry them just as a normal towel.  It is standard to not wash your towels with dryer sheets or softener as those leave residue affecting their absorbancy.  

Honored Contributor

I had a supply of white washcloths at one time too, and would wash & bleach as needed.  When they eventually got too dingey and worn, I replaced them with navy blue so they wouldn't look so bad after some use.  I'd use a fresh one each time I cleansed my face and would wash the load each week or so.  I was curious about the "makeup erase" type of microfiber towels, but will never believe cleansing with a only wet cloth is enough to do a proper cleansing.  Maybe not how they're intended to be used, but I use cleasing products with them.  I use an oil based balm (Clean It Zero!) to remove makeup.  Water is added to create a "milk".  The furry microfiber cloths remove all of that perfectly from my face.  I follow up with a gentle cleanser and fresh water in the sink.  The microfiber cloth removes that perfectly as well. I like how soft the cloth feels on my face.  I purchased mine very inexpensively on Amazon.  I still have my stack of navy blue washcloths.  DH uses them or I will use them to pat my face dry or to dry my hands.  

Esteemed Contributor

I've used good ol' cotton terrycloth washclothes since I was a kid.  Nothing cleans better, in my opinion.  Use once and toss in the hamper - they get washed with the rest of the laundry.  No special care required. 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt