Respected Contributor

Re: MASON PEARSON HAIR BRUSH

@Misplaced Parisian wrote:

@Pqfan wrote:

I had a Denman which I love but eventually the handle broke!

100 percent boar bristle brush.

@Pqfan  I love the Denman brand...brought it back from my first visit to London....this is my current brush and love it.  

I do too!❤️

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I’ve had a full size Mason Pearson hair brush for decades. I love it and now it’s the first one my granddaughters reach for....But at $205 now, gifting them one is a definite no!

Does anyone know a good dupe w/ boar bristles and cushioned pad?

@Shanus  I knew we were kindred spirits.  This is my hairbrush dream.  Giggles.  Costco website has a great price on them and Ebay has brand news for wonderful prices too.  Also, if your granddaughters are younger, the smaller MP brush might be ideal and those are less cost wise too.  You have excellent taste, girl!!!

@Misplaced Parisian   Where have you been, Mom Ami? Been looking for you everywhere. 💕

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus  A friend gifted me a boar bristle brush by the brand Dovahlia....it's wonderful.  I think it's a small family company in Austin TX.  I'm betting that it's a lot less than the MP and you might like them for your grandbabies.  I think Amazon might sell them too.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

I’ve had a full size Mason Pearson hair brush for decades. I love it and now it’s the first one my granddaughters reach for....But at $205 now, gifting them one is a definite no!

Does anyone know a good dupe w/ boar bristles and cushioned pad?

@Shanus  I knew we were kindred spirits.  This is my hairbrush dream.  Giggles.  Costco website has a great price on them and Ebay has brand news for wonderful prices too.  Also, if your granddaughters are younger, the smaller MP brush might be ideal and those are less cost wise too.  You have excellent taste, girl!!!

@Misplaced Parisian   Where have you been, Mom Ami? Been looking for you everywhere. 💕

@Shanus  You are very kind...I've been writing (to buy that apartment in Paris, you know) and bogged down by work (Congress & state legislatures have me super busy).  I hope all is well with you!  I love that you are buying hairbrushes for your girls.  LOVE it.

Valued Contributor

Hi Shanus! The denmans are nice, even though it doesn’t feel as good in the hand as the mason Pearson. My dad had a mason Pearson and I remember it well!
Respected Contributor

@Shanus  I think I have seen them in the Vermont Country Store Catalog. I know they were natural boar bristles and expensive around $100.00 ? They have a Web Site and on line ordering I have used. 

Honored Contributor

@Gorgf wrote:

@Shanus  I think I have seen them in the Vermont Country Store Catalog. I know they were natural boar bristles and expensive around $100.00 ? They have a Web Site and on line ordering I have used. 

Thanks @Gorgf . My issue’s not finding them, it’s finding a dupe for my young granddaughters. They love mine, but this brush is way too expensive for little girls...Maybe a high school graduation gift. 😜

Honored Contributor

@Shanus ,

Should you not be replacing a hair brush sooner than 'decades'?  I mean for sanitary reasons. Yes, I know you clean your brush but still that can only go so far without having to take it to extremes. I was thinking about this after I signed off last night. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shanus ,

Should you not be replacing a hair brush sooner than 'decades'?  I mean for sanitary reasons. Yes, I know you clean your brush but still that can only go so far without having to take it to extremes. I was thinking about this after I signed off last night. 

@SilleeMee   Funny you raise that question. I did contact the manufacturer years ago with that question. They  replied that this is meant to be a brush for life IF properly cared for...using the accompanying cleaning brush and washing the MP every few months, more often if you use a lot of styling products, which I do not. 

Honored Contributor

When I was in my early 30s - I looked into the Mason Pearson brush - they were over $150 and I took a pass. I bought another '100% boar bristle' square brush (maybe Denman?) but couldn't get to my scalp. It was only brushing the outter hair. Maybe the bristles were too tight? 

Of coure I have a lot less hair now -