Honored Contributor

Re: MASON PEARSON HAIR BRUSH

@Tennessee Vol wrote:

@Shanus or anyone who has wavy/curly hair and uses a boar bristle brush.

I am so tempted to buy a Mason Pearson boar bristle brush after reading this thread but haven't really brushed my hair in years, maybe decades...lol because I have wavy/curly hair and have always heard that I shouldn't disturb my pattern. Do you find using this brush removes your waves/curls? I have started using a Josh Rosenbrook wooden pin brush before I wash my hair to massage my scalp. The older I get the more concerned I become about the health of my hair and from what I read stimulating your scalp is so important!

I have a short stacked bob and don't know if the pocket size will be large enough or if I should get the handy... decisions...

Thanks in advance for your help!

@Tennessee Vol   If my hair fell into the kinky/curly category, no I probably wouldn’t use this brush. Since mine is wavy/curly, it has not disturbed the curl pattern. Somewhere here, I debunked the CGM after many years...my scalp needed (follicles) needed cleaning more often, w/o coloring my hair, sulfates were no longer an issue. I do, however, use a wide tooth comb to run through my hair and make sure there are no knots/tangles before using the boar bristle brush. I’d say after decades of use, it’s only done good things for my hair....My curls and waves are no different & my hair seems thicker since the follicles are clean and free to grow. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus 

Thanks! I'm going to buy one... now, what size to buy. Based on info from Mason Pearson's website the pocket size seems like it will be big enough for my hair/head... It's 6.75 inches long, 2 inches wide and the head is 3.5 long. The handy is 8.5 long, 2.5 wide and the head is 4.37 long... However, I don't want to buy the pocket and regret that I didn't get the handy!!!

What size do you own?

Quarrels end, but words once spoken never die... African Proverb
Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Tennessee Vol wrote:

@Shanus or anyone who has wavy/curly hair and uses a boar bristle brush.

I am so tempted to buy a Mason Pearson boar bristle brush after reading this thread but haven't really brushed my hair in years, maybe decades...lol because I have wavy/curly hair and have always heard that I shouldn't disturb my pattern. Do you find using this brush removes your waves/curls? I have started using a Josh Rosenbrook wooden pin brush before I wash my hair to massage my scalp. The older I get the more concerned I become about the health of my hair and from what I read stimulating your scalp is so important!

I have a short stacked bob and don't know if the pocket size will be large enough or if I should get the handy... decisions...

Thanks in advance for your help!

@Tennessee Vol   If my hair fell into the kinky/curly category, no I probably wouldn’t use this brush. Since mine is wavy/curly, it has not disturbed the curl pattern. Somewhere here, I debunked the CGM after many years...my scalp needed (follicles) needed cleaning more often, w/o coloring my hair, sulfates were no longer an issue. I do, however, use a wide tooth comb to run through my hair and make sure there are no knots/tangles before using the boar bristle brush. I’d say after decades of use, it’s only done good things for my hair....My curls and waves are no different & my hair seems thicker since the follicles are clean and free to grow. 

@Shanus ,

I am  sure you mis- spoke, but you haven't "debunked CGM".

Perhaps you've decided it is not necessary for you. As a  method of taking care of curly hair it is most certainly valid. 

It is making a huge difference for me. What were 2b 2c waves are becoming 2c 3a curls. 

Brushing with boar bristles isn't for me. All I can say to curly wavies is try it. Maybe it will work. Maybe it won't. 

Honored Contributor

@Tennessee Vol wrote:

@Shanus 

Thanks! I'm going to buy one... now, what size to buy. Based on info from Mason Pearson's website the pocket size seems like it will be big enough for my hair/head... It's 6.75 inches long, 2 inches wide and the head is 3.5 long. The handy is 8.5 long, 2.5 wide and the head is 4.37 long... However, I don't want to buy the pocket and regret that I didn't get the handy!!!

What size do you own?

@Tennessee Vol   Hello. Sorry I didn’t include full info. I own the larger one (handy). First time I heard a name. Expensive now, but not decades ago when I purchased mine. I think you’ll enjoy the larger one more than the pocket size. The handle feels better...the grip. Happy brushing!!

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2   Of course, I decided CGM is just not the method for me. Everyone’s hair is different. It’s a personal decision. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Tennessee Vol wrote:

@Shanus 

What size do you own?

@Tennessee Vol   Hello. Sorry I didn’t include full info. I own the larger one (handy). First time I heard a name. Expensive now, but not decades ago when I purchased mine. I think you’ll enjoy the larger one more than the pocket size. The handle feels better...the grip. Happy brushing!!

@Shanus Thanks!

Respected Contributor

@Shanus   The Wet Brush brand makes a padded brush with boar bristles also.   I too have a Mason Pearson brush but travel with the wet brush brand in case luggage gets lost.  I think I purchased my wet brush at Ulta 

Honored Contributor

@Tennessee Vol wrote:

@Shanus 

What size do you own?

@Tennessee Vol   I'll throw my two cents in here.  I have had from a little longer than shoulder length, shoulder length and now a little shorter than that and I have always loved my pocket one (it is white and is mixed bristle).  I found it useful at those lengths.

I have a Handy size all bristle, and a pink Junior mixed. I love them all but for me (and I am not a tall or large person) I think the Junior is maybe my favorite.  It is a nice size without being too big or cumbersome.  But I love them all! 

Valued Contributor

@Shanus  I have had one my mom gave when I was a teen.My GD was having hair issues and I bought the exact brush for her from Fuller Brush. Made in Conn.I think it was about $40.It was even in the original packaging.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Tennessee Vol wrote:

@Shanus 

What size do you own?

@Tennessee Vol   I'll throw my two cents in here.  I have had from a little longer than shoulder length, shoulder length and now a little shorter than that and I have always loved my pocket one (it is white and is mixed bristle).  I found it useful at those lengths.

I have a Handy size all bristle, and a pink Junior mixed. I love them all but for me (and I am not a tall or large person) I think the Junior is maybe my favorite.  It is a nice size without being too big or cumbersome.  But I love them all! 

@Sooner 

Thanks! So many choices... Costco has the Junior Mixed... I might get it too as it is a great price. I am not a tall or large person either. I wish I could see them in person...