Honored Contributor

Re: MASON PEARSON HAIR BRUSH

It just bothers me when I think about the bristles and where they are attached at the base. To me it would not seem likely to be able to clean deep down inside those locations...?? @Shanus 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

It just bothers me when I think about the bristles and where they are attached at the base. To me it would not seem likely to be able to clean deep down inside those locations...?? @Shanus 

@SilleeMee   If anyone is overly concerned w/ bacteria & cleanliness, it’s me. The loose hairs are removed w/ enclosed extra brush and a gentle cleanser takes care of the padded base. I find this brush easy to care for and keep clean. I’d worry more about artificial bristles and plastic bases. 

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey wrote:

When I was in my early 30s - I looked into the Mason Pearson brush - they were over $150 and I took a pass. I bought another '100% boar bristle' square brush (maybe Denman?) but couldn't get to my scalp. It was only brushing the outter hair. Maybe the bristles were too tight? 

Of coure I have a lot less hair now - 

@Yahooey   I went to a salon where the owner would take his thinning scissors and take some of the bristles out carefully if someone had very thick hair and thin the brush out to where it worked.  He was very careful and precise about it.

Also, I often use one of my pocket brushes for my hair.  My hair is very fine but I have a lot of hair.  It is layered almost shoulder length.  The little pocket brush will go through it and fluff it up great.  It is the mixed bristle kind.  

The junior is the one I use most, and I find the handy is really a little bigger than I use every day.

I think I actually like the mixed bristle best.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus     I also have used the  Mason brushes and combs for years... but recently switched to the WET brush.... inexpensive... brushes through my hair wet and dry going right through the snarls and such with ease.  No hair brakeage anymore.  I do not know how it works, but, I would never go back to a regular brush again after using the wet brush... I bought mine on HSN but you can buy them anywhere. Just google.

Trusted Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian wrote:

@Pqfan wrote:

I had a Denman which I love but eventually the handle broke!

100 percent boar bristle brush.

@Pqfan  I love the Denman brand...brought it back from my first visit to London....this is my current brush and love it.  

@Misplaced Parisian  @Pqfan  I love the Denman brushes

too!  I was traveling through Europe late spring with BF and our last stop was London where I came upon this brand.

If you are thinking about buying the brush I suggest

ordering it direct from Denman.  When I got home

I checked Amazon and they are selling fakes for one half the price. Stay away.  Mine says on the upper handle "made in UK".

I own the D3 nylon 9 bristle.  I don't care for boar bristle brushes but they have bristled brushe options on website too that are under $40.00 if anyone is interesting in giving them a try.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've had a Mason Pearson mixed bristle brush for years now.  FYI: my brush was purchased from QVC (it was more than 25 years ago).  The brush is clean and fine. I clean mine with a very fine hair pick and warm soapy water.  However, like @SeaMaiden  I now most often use a Wet Brush  I absolutely love the Wet brush with the bristles.  It's ideal for brushing tight curls wet or dry. The Wet Brush doesn't last as long as Mason Pearson.  I'm on my second Wet after using the first one for a almost three years.  The handle became yucky and the bristles started to fall off is the reason for replacing.  I've also tried the Sally's Mason Pearson dupe and it's ok, but if you've ever used the real Mason Pearson you can tell the difference.  That said @Shanus  the dupe would be fine for young girls.  

Super Contributor

I have been using Mason Pearson brushes for years now!!! They have always been expensive, but reading your posts, they are ridiculous now, but they do last forever!! The last time I purchased one it was $90.00, which was 15 yrs ago.. I have found nothing better in my quest for a cheaper version!! I love the brand!!!

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Pink123 wrote:

@Misplaced Parisian wrote:

@Pqfan wrote:

I had a Denman which I love but eventually the handle broke!

100 percent boar bristle brush.

@Pqfan  I love the Denman brand...brought it back from my first visit to London....this is my current brush and love it.  

@Misplaced Parisian  @Pqfan  I love the Denman brushes

too!  I was traveling through Europe late spring with BF and our last stop was London where I came upon this brand.

If you are thinking about buying the brush I suggest

ordering it direct from Denman.  When I got home

I checked Amazon and they are selling fakes for one half the price. Stay away.  Mine says on the upper handle "made in UK".

I own the D3 nylon 9 bristle.  I don't care for boar bristle brushes but they have bristled brushe options on website too that are under $40.00 if anyone is interesting in giving them a try.

@Pink123  Thank you for telling me about Amazon.  I will definitely order directly from the Denman website.  Don't you just love bringing back something fabulous from your travels?  I know I do!  Happy Hair-brushing!

Valued Contributor

I’ve purchased these for 2 granddaughters from Website, but I personally have never had one. I am curious, is there a difference between the ones from website that say natural bristles and one Costco offers that seem to imply bristles are mixed??
Should I purchase one with the nylon for more effect? I do have a full head of baby fine hair.
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Shanus     I also have used the  Mason brushes and combs for years... but recently switched to the WET brush.... inexpensive... brushes through my hair wet and dry going right through the snarls and such with ease.  No hair brakeage anymore.  I do not know how it works, but, I would never go back to a regular brush again after using the wet brush... I bought mine on HSN but you can buy them anywhere. Just google.

@SeaMaiden   I’ve seen the wet brushes, Denman’s, etc. Until you feel a good boar bristle brush polish your hair to a spit shine like a new pair of boots, you have not lived.