Honored Contributor

I’ve had a full size Mason Pearson hair brush for decades. I love it and now it’s the first one my granddaughters reach for....But at $205 now, gifting them one is a definite no!

Does anyone know a good dupe w/ boar bristles and cushioned pad?

Honored Contributor

Re: MASON PEARSON HAIR BRUSH

Wow that is an expensive brush! I was at Sally's the other day and saw a couple different oval cushion boar hair brushes and they were less than $10. They are also sold online.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Wow that is an expensive brush! I was at Sally's the other day and saw a couple different oval cushion boar hair brushes and they were less than $10. They are also sold online.

@SilleeMee   I’ll check out Sally’s tomorrow. Thanks. DH gifted me the brush and Mr. “watch my pennies” would have never paid that much. I asked him before beginning the thread and he said he paid $85...still extravagant, but not as bad as the price on Amazon. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

No doubt that your brush is top quality. Finding a good economical dupe might be difficult to come by. I'm sure the ones at Sally's are good but they could be no match to your beloved brush. Nevertheless, checking them out wouldn't hurt anyway. Good luck!Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shanus 

No doubt that your brush is top quality. Finding a good economical dupe might be difficult to come by. I'm sure the ones at Sally's are good but they could be no match to your beloved brush. Nevertheless, checking them out wouldn't hurt anyway. Good luck!Woman Happy

@SilleeMee   For a 10 yr. old and 7 yr. old, who would lose and/or not appreciate an expensive brush, Sally’s brushes are just fine. If I misplaced mine, I would never spend that much to replace it. 

Valued Contributor

Shanus.....they are for sale at my Costco!  I believe it is in the $80+ range, but not sure.  It is not a big size, I think they call it a junior size. Go to Costco.com and see.

Honored Contributor

The junior sizes are my favorites!  I have a pink one.  I also have the Handy size, and a couple of the small (pocket?) sizes.  I have the all boar bristle and the combo nylon and boar and I like those as well or better.  

I have a couple of combs too.  I collected them over the years on many trips to D.C. and I think they sold them at the Old Post Office building.  I would buy Caswell and Massey there too.   And there was a place in Georgetown too. . . 

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus  @Retiredpsych 

I just looked and the standard “Popular” is $125 and the junior is $89 at Costco.com!  That’s less than half retail price. I don’t know of a dupe and would be a really special gift if it’s something that lasts as long as people say they do.  

How do you clean them?  With soapy water?  For that price I’d want to make sure I didn’t damage it and normally wash my cheap brushes with hot soapy water to remove product build up and such.

Honored Contributor

If you Google "Mason Pearson dup") (and I'm not being snarky) there are several blogs that come up discussing dups and a few YT videos.

Honored Contributor

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

@Shanus  @Retiredpsych 

I just looked and the standard “Popular” is $125 and the junior is $89 at Costco.com!  That’s less than half retail price. I don’t know of a dupe and would be a really special gift if it’s something that lasts as long as people say they do.  

How do you clean them?  With soapy water?  For that price I’d want to make sure I didn’t damage it and normally wash my cheap brushes with hot soapy water to remove product build up and such.

@Mrsq2022 Do they have the sensitive and mixed bristle ones?  And do they come in colors?  Inquiring minds want to know!  LOL!!!  Thanks!

I clean mine by dipping the bristles only in a little soapy water and then massaging them with a terry cloth.  I dip lightly a couple of times in clean water to rinse.  I don't do it very often and don't use the brushes when my hair is really dirty.  

They come with a cleaner brush to get the hair and dust out of them.  At least the bigger ones do---I can't remember about the pocket ones.