Super Contributor

MAKEUP TUTORIALS ON BEAUTY IQ

[ Edited ]

Hello Q Beauties!

Recently, I have really been into watching online makeup tutorials, especially those by (my favorite) Wayne Goss. I especially like the Q's Beauty IQ channel. I mean a 24 hour beauty channel is perfect for a makeup-a-holic like me.

I watched a portion of Mally demonstrating her products on Beauty IQ this afternoon No offense to anyone here who loves Mally, but I really have to take her in small doses. All that screaming, moaning and, groaning grates on my nerves by any vendor or host, not just Mally.

Well, there she was giving a demonstration/tutorial on how to highlight the area under and around your eyes as well as the the top of your cheeks to avoid ending up, as she said, like a raccoon. Except...................

EVERYBODY, INCLUDING HER AND THE SHOW HOST, ENDED UP LOOKING LIKE RACCOONS! *** Sorry for yelling ***

One of the key things that I have learned by watching makeup tutorials is to blend, blend, blend. The ultimate result should be that you should not really be able to tell where the highlighter/blush/contour begins or ends. Her placement of the products looked right but the blending was non-existent.

I have seen Mally demo makeup application before and truly believe she often does a great job and gives great tips. But, unfortunately, not today.

I love watching anyone that can help me improve my makeup application and results, especially when they show me how to create looks that I usually get completely wrong, LOL!

On the flip side, I find the tutorials by Eve Pearl to be absolutely wonderful. I always learn so much about application and proper technique.

So, who do you find most helpful when it comes to makeup tutorials, both on Beauty IQ and online, in general? Conversely, who is your least favorite?

Remember Beauties, there are no right or wrong answers!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: MAKEUP TUTORIALS ON BEAUTY IQ

@ChazzyLady, One of the first things I learned about makeup application in an age long before vloggers and bloggers was blending could correct mistakes and not quite so perfect colors.  My intor to cosmetics was in the 1960s, so as a woman of color we weren't always buying absolutely perfect colors at the counter and had to do a lot of blending to make things look right. 

I got a chuckle out of your blend, blend, blend comment.  You may have never heard of Ilana Harkavi, renowned makeup artist and founder of Il-Makiage Cosmetics.  Long story short, for about 25 years Il-Makiage was an it brand.  Many models, celebrities and other VIP types were among Harkavi's clients.  She was still hot in the early 90s when she appeared on the former Q2 for about 3 years every Sunday night in the early 90s. The models would be barefaced in the beginning and Harkavi (and her team) would apply every item featured during the hour.  It was a layering process not one where the eye makeup would already be done, etc.  During every step of the process Harkavi (in her Israeli accented English) would keep reminding us that we had to "blend, blend, blend." Woman Happy

Super Contributor

@Trix wrote:

@ChazzyLady, One of the first things I learned about makeup application in an age long before vloggers and bloggers was blending could correct mistakes and not quite so perfect colors.  My intor to cosmetics was in the 1960s, so as a woman of color we weren't always buying absolutely perfect colors at the counter and had to do a lot of blending to make things look right. 

I got a chuckle out of your blend, blend, blend comment.  You may have never heard of Ilana Harkavi, renowned makeup artist and founder of Il-Makiage Cosmetics.  Long story short, for about 25 years Il-Makiage was an it brand.  Many models, celebrities and other VIP types were among Harkavi's clients.  She was still hot in the early 90s when she appeared on the former Q2 for about 3 years every Sunday night in the early 90s. The models would be barefaced in the beginning and Harkavi (and her team) would apply every item featured during the hour.  It was a layering process not one where the eye makeup would already be done, etc.  During every step of the process Harkavi (in her Israeli accented English) would keep reminding us that we had to "blend, blend, blend." Woman Happy

Hi @Trix. I never heard of the makeup artist, but definitely heard of Il-Makiage. Can't remember ever seeing a tutorial by  Ilana Harvani, but will definitely look her up

Sigh, I too remember wa-a-a-a-ay back in the bad old days of trying to find decently colored foundations and kept finding foundation shades that were a delightful shade of dirt, LOL!

Glad those days are over.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ChazzyLady, It''s possible that your cable (satellite) provider did not offer Q2.  The first version of Q2 which aired back in the early 90s was broadcast from a studio in NYC.   The channel was marketed to be QVC's showcase for their most upscale brands.   Many of the Q2 brands never appeared on regular QVC until after they ditched that network and the Fashion Channel and brought everything on one channel.  Il-Makiage never came to West Chester.  If you are not a fan of loud talking and silly cackling, you would have loved Ilana's shows.  She was informative as to what she was doing with the products and the hosts would give the product details and back off.  They would take some calls because that's what QVC does, but I liked the format and flow of the shows.  The currrent Beauty IQ is quite similar in tone and format to the weekly Il-Makiage hour. 

I may be wrong, but I believe Harkavi is retired. She had a career before becoming a makeup artist, and her brand began more than 40 years ago, so she would be up there in years. In addition to the impressive clientele, her protege list carries some wow factor too. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trix wrote:

@ChazzyLady, It''s possible that your cable (satellite) provider did not offer Q2.  The first version of Q2 which aired back in the early 90s was broadcast from a studio in NYC.   The channel was marketed to be QVC's showcase for their most upscale brands.   Many of the Q2 brands never appeared on regular QVC until after they ditched that network and the Fashion Channel and brought everything on one channel.  Il-Makiage never came to West Chester.  If you are not a fan of loud talking and silly cackling, you would have loved Ilana's shows.  She was informative as to what she was doing with the products and the hosts would give the product details and back off.  They would take some calls because that's what QVC does, but I liked the format and flow of the shows.  The currrent Beauty IQ is quite similar in tone and format to the weekly Il-Makiage hour. 

I may be wrong, but I believe Harkavi is retired. She had a career before becoming a makeup artist, and her brand began more than 40 years ago, so she would be up there in years. In addition to the impressive clientele, her protege list carries some wow factor too. 

Wow, I had no idea that there was a Q2 or Fashion channel in the nineties. I think having a separate channel for more upscale items is a great idea so I wonder why QVC decided to ditch that channel?

You are so right about me @Trix, I absolutely cannot stand all of the silliness and goofball behavior so prevalent on all of the shop-from-home channels. I would have definitely enjoyed the type of presentation she did. Of course the vendors and show hosts don't want to be dull as dishwater, but I think all of the craziness of many product presentations short change the consumer when it comes to providing the facts/details about a product.

Anyway, back to Ilana. After reading your previous post, I did do an internet search and found a tutorial from 2012 but what I found most interesting is that she currently has a social media presence on Facebook, Instagram and, Twitter. I have no idea how old she is or if she's retired, but I think she's really cute. 

I am still interested in hearing from all the other Beauties here re: their thoughts about Beauty IQ; what they like, dislike or want to see added to that channel's programming.

Take care and have a wonderful day @Trix.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ChazzyLady I laughed at your comment about the hosts not wanting to be as dull as dishwater, but unfortunately allowing the host to step away from all of them being sort of a robotic same is precisely where QVC went off the rails. Since the hosts were given the liberty insert more of themselves into their on air demeanors many have managed quite well, and maintain a presence which keeps the product front and center and is respectful to the vendors.  The ones who can't do that are simply unwatchable.