Honored Contributor

I'm trying to lighten up my bag and wallet, glasses, other items are "have tos".  Thinking I can lighten up my makeup bag. What essentials go in your bag with you every day?

Honored Contributor

I like to keep blotting papers in my bag. Helps keep makeup looking fresh without having to re-apply. I also always carry a lipbalm w/sunscreen in it and also a lipstick. My eye makeup...I don't usually mess with it once it's applied, so I'm good to good there. I have carried finishing powder occasionally, especially when its warm out. Helps cut the sweaty shine. Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: MAKEUP THAT GOES IN BAG

[ Edited ]

Are you sure you even need to carry a makeup bag?  If so, WHY?   

The only grooming items in my purse are lipstick, a floss stick, a small foldable brush and a nail clipper.  Everything fits in the zipper compartment in my handbag.    In my car, I always have a tube of sunscreen.  Period.

I've never carried a makeup bag in my purse and wonder why women think they need to ..... IMO, (liquid) makeup should be set with powder and the only thing needed during the day is a lipstick touch up.   

If you keep needing to touch up your makeup all day long, it wasn't applied properly in the first place.   JMO

Dump the whole bag ...  and just carry a lipstick.

Respected Contributor

Lipstick-and that's about it because once I put MU on, it's on my face for the day.....unless I have to go to the hair salon and know I'll be going somewhere afterwards. (Streaks from water tricking down doesn't look so great!)

About the lipstick, I think I failed to mention I must have at least 6-7 in my purse at any given time.  When I'm "in" for the day, I always forget to put them back.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  Hi. Always have been a makeup minimalist, but unfortunely a "what if" person, too. In my makeup bag now is: small flat touch up mirror (to apply lipstick), 3 lipsticks so don't have to switch them out, neutral lipgloss, Advil, Swiss Army knife (has tweezers in case I see a long chin hair in car mirror), lip balm w/ spf, Altoids, & a sample size undereye concealer. 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 Oh and nail file for any possible rough edges.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

In my car, I always have a tube of sunscreen.  Period.

You should move that sunscreen into your bag. A hot car will degrade the active ingredients in sunscreen and make it less effective.

I agree with the rest of your post, but this part is a health and safety risk.

Honored Contributor

I don't really have a makeupbag per se but I do carry a few makeup type items with me in my purse or in my car. It is usually just sunscreen (powder usually, to apply throughout the day over makeup, or a tinted sunscreen on days I don't wear full makeup), lip gloss or balm, and during winter, a small tube of hand lotion. I used to carry blotting papers, which are great, but I never really get oily or greasy or sweaty so I don't really carry them anymore. But they are great if you are prone to oiliness.

Honored Contributor

I don't wear a lot of makeup, so I don't carry a makeup bag unless there's a reason, like going out after work or going to a special event.

I carry a lip balm and a hand cream in my everyday bag. 

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

In my car, I always have a tube of sunscreen.  Period.

You should move that sunscreen into your bag. A hot car will degrade the active ingredients in sunscreen and make it less effective.

I agree with the rest of your post, but this part is a health and safety risk.

@ChynnaBlue

I do switch them out when the weather gets warm, and carry a sample size in my bag in the summer months.  Just in case, lol.