Esteemed Contributor

Re: MAKEUP I’M TIRED OF & FINALLY TOSSED

[ Edited ]

@hellokitty wrote:

I just recently tossed an almost finished tube of IT tinted moisture.  I so want to like this brand and the CC creams and creams in the tubes are not for me.  I am not going to order any more of them.  I do have to say that their redness powder is awesome.

hi @hellokitty  - I totally agree about the Bye Bye Redness. I use it almost every day, and it really smoothes out the redness on my cheeks and other areas. I also have a red spot right under the tail of my eyebrow where my hairdresser was using a curling iron on my hair and it slipped out of her hand and made a burn which is now a pink/red scar. I know she feels awful so I try to cover it up and don't mention it to her, as it was a total accident. And thank goodness it didn't touch my eye. But I do agree that the Bye Bye Redness is a wonder concealer!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Clearing away the past no matter what it is is just plain painful sometimes.  Intellectually, I know I don't need so much of what I've acquired and kept over the years

That's all well and good, but emotionally, some things are just hard to send on their way -  to the garbage, to other members of the family, to charities.

I've pretty much done all the easy things, but as one of my friends promised me a few years back "It hardly makes a difference!"   My current task is getting rid of a good portion of the high school memorabilia.  It's about time -  went to my 60th reunion a few weeks ago.  I'd promised myself that after it, I'd toss at least half and that will happen.  As soon as I look through it one last time!  I started this morning - just before I read your post @Shanus.

@millieshops 

I was born with some weird sentimental gene and attached importance to every item -- even when the item had none.

For years, Better-half asked me to pare down (he's a minimalist) and I intended to purge and donate most of what I'd collected over the past 50 years.

But I was slow.  I started the process and donated quite a bit to New Mexico Animal Humane's thrift shop, but hit a brick wall.  Unfortunate, because in May our house burned.

The fire didn't destroy everything -- it was the soot.  I had an antique burl chest in the garage (where the fire started) and it held all the photographs -- family, school, every dog I've ever loved.  All gone now.

I went to the house every day for a month and sifted through all my possessions.  Most of what I owned is now sitting in landfill.  Art objects, prints, hundreds of books.  All things that should have been donated years ago.

I was surprised.  I kept some things I didn't think I'd keep, and tossed items I didn't think I could ever part with.

I work with psychiatric patients and I had to admit to myself that I had a little bit of "hoarder" in me.  As I sorted through boxes of items I hadn't even looked at in 25 years, I had to ask myself: What was I thinking?

Sure, a huge part of my personal history is gone forever.  But when I really think about it, is that such a bad thing?

It was just stuff.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Maybe I’ve said this here before, but there’s no point in purging if we’re still looking to replace with new products. I know it’s human nature. I’ve gotten there w/ my skincare products and haven’t changed them or my routine in 6 or more years. Some like Retin A I’ve used for over 40 years...only added acid pads & dabbled w/ cleansers. 

Makeup is more difficult. I try to be diligent. If I get the itch, I head for the drugstore and purchase something inexpensive, a mascara I’ll use anyway or a new lip liner. It’s the big ticket items I try not to purchase until the one I have is beginning to run out. The biggest mistake I’ve made is out of fear of an item being discontinued, I purchase extras and then find something I like better...that’s how my stash gets out of hand. I enjoy my foundations, blushes, powders, shadows, concealers...the expensive things that are difficult to find “the bomb”...perfect shade and formula. If you can do that, stay with those and a few extra lipsticks, liners, can be OK...don’t take up a lot of room. 

I have a tougher time than most. In my profession, I’m bombarded w/ new products (some sent to me at no charge to try out). I’m always at makeup counters, stores, classes, demos and meeting w/ reps. I also have to keep on top of what’s new and current for my clients and get tempted to purchase the same for my personal use. I just keep going w/ my mantra, “Shanus, you have enough. Shanus, you have enough”. 

Honored Contributor

I tossed over 30 tubes of pale pink/beige/nude lipsticks. Some gone bad, some not opened in the box, but all aging and no longer flattering. I kept my brighter pinks, rose and berry shades. I’ll just have to suck it up and get used to the  brighter colors. They look better. I’ve been blotting them down until I feel comfortable wearing them full on. 

Honored Contributor

Last tip on decluttering personal care items: I was following Curly Girl Method, which in itself, adds at least 25 “try me, I’m the best for frizz” hair products. My shelves were bulging!!! I recently cut my hair back to my standby pixie (don’t know why, but when it’s shorter than 2”, not a wave or curl!!). Now, any shampoo/conditioner...heck w/ silicones, etc. One or two mousses and done! Everything else went into a trash bag...along w/ the Velcro rollers, flat irons (3 different sizes), 3 diffusers, leave in conditioners/oils/gels for curly hair...I’m done. It’s a pixie for me!!! Now you can actually see my face.

Honored Contributor

I had to toss my beauty products after our fire and I'm determined not to collect what I'd collected in the past.  I'd been buying pure grace spritz for years and I lost several bottles of the spritz and fragrance.

In fact, I lost all my fragrances.  And there were so many.  All the favorite philosophy 3-in-1s that I saved because they were discontinued?  Gone.

I had a linen closet full of items!

Now I have what I was working towards -- and it still feels like too much! Woman LOL

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Skinn blush compact with three colors.  Never cared for the colors on my skin.

Josie Maran small bottle of 99.9% used up argan oil.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

I don’t wear a lot of makeup these days and have cosmetic bags that I haven’t looked at in months.  I need to go through them one by one to see what I should toss.

Frequent Contributor

I have this problem. I buy these big palletes and then use one color. I really like green because I have dark brown eyes and wear glasses; the green makes them show up.

Today is purge day at my house. I need to clean my vanity. I have so many lip glosses that it is crazy.

Honored Contributor

@just beeSorry it took that fire to effect your change, but I do know you're right on so many levels.  As I've been sorting and weaning here, there hasn't been anything I no longer have that I would retrieve if I could.  We share the "duh" gene!