Honored Contributor

Re: MAKEUP I’M TIRED OF & FINALLY TOSSED

@millieshops wrote:

Clearing away the past no matter what it is is just plain painful sometimes.  Intellectually, I know I don't need so much of what I've acquired and kept over the years

That's all well and good, but emotionally, some things are just hard to send on their way -  to the garbage, to other members of the family, to charities.

I've pretty much done all the easy things, but as one of my friends promised me a few years back "It hardly makes a difference!"   My current task is getting rid of a good portion of the high school memorabilia.  It's about time -  went to my 60th reunion a few weeks ago.  I'd promised myself that after it, I'd toss at least half and that will happen.  As soon as I look through it one last time!  I started this morning - just before I read your post @Shanus.

Millieshops - I can't believe you mentioned high school memorabilia. I graduated high school 50 years ago. And I finally got rid of my high school blazer about a month ago. I was cleaning out my closets and I hadn't worn it since high school. So out it went. But it took 50 years to finally get rid of it. 

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I am a one hit wonder with make up (and food as well)....once I find something I like I rarely purchase a different brand.  I have a Lancome foundation and BM loose foundation, both are about gone so maybe I should look for something else! Something to consider.

I only wear eyeliner and mascara on my eyes.  Mascara is full n soft because I have not found another (tried a lot) that does not clump or irritate my eyes....Maybeline eyeliner, it stays put so I will stick with it.

I am a minimalist with make up and I do not like having a lot of products sitting in the cabinet just waiting to be used, for me less is more.

@Mom2Dogs I do what you do.  If makeup works, it works.  I don't care to look for more options.  It works.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I also have SO MANY things in drawers and shelves in a closet that I would never have to buy another thing and I'd be fine!   Every so often I go through a cleansing and either TOSS the opened things, or... if unopened,    I donate to a women's shelter or send to my friend who loves make up but doesn't have a lot of $. 

I stated tossing the opened items this past weekend, and will start on the new things next weekend.  I'm trying to get this under control.  I can do it!

Honored Contributor

@nyc1 wrote:

I also have SO MANY things in drawers and shelves in a closet that I would never have to buy another thing and I'd be fine!   Every so often I go through a cleansing and either TOSS the opened things, or... if unopened,    I donate to a women's shelter or send to my friend who loves make up but doesn't have a lot of $. 

I stated tossing the opened items this past weekend, and will start on the new things next weekend.  I'm trying to get this under control.  I can do it!

@nyc1   Yes you can!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I donate to a place called Treasures in my area.  They only accept really nice stuff and what's not suited they donate to Sally's, etc.  The place is run by volunteers and all proceeds support a Christian school which they built and has been going strong for years now.

I've purchased clothing, knick-knacks, furniture, etc. there.  Recently on a "treasure hunt" I noticed perfumes, make-up, etc.  So have recently  dropped off some colognes I've gotten tired of along with unused make-up as I tend to order though often never use the eyeshadows, liners, etc., that come along with the item(s) i want.  I've since decided when I want a new perfume, I'll pick one up there - get sick of the sameold, same old and the price is right so it's a win-win!

Just mention this in case there are charities in your areas who could benefit from unused makeup, etc., or even women's shelters (make-up or a new scent often gives me a boost!) instead of feeding the trash baskets, which believe me, I've often done!

Honored Contributor

Over the last few months, I've tossed all my liquid makeup and lipstick.  I'm using a cream-to-powder makeup from Avon which I like, and colored lip gloss rather than lipstick.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus   Your right!  There's hardly anything worse than putting on a rancid lipstick....eeeeeuuuuw!

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus 

I did this about a year ago.  Most of the item I tossed were eye products that ended up causing itching.  I hate that.

But, surprisingly, I have 4 Christian Dior lipsticks that I love and have had for years, literally, and they've never gone bad - have not gone rancid.  Have alway used a lip brush to apply, hence their longevity.  Love everything CD I've purchased.

Valued Contributor

@Shanus 

I  have cleaned out alot of things too . I recently found Dr. Dray's Youtube Channel and really saw how many skincare products and makeup prodcuts I had with questionable ingredients and thins I see now were irritating my acne prone skin > Over the past few weeks pared down skincare and makeup and its great. 

Honored Contributor

I’ve had horrible luck with Bobbi Brown and Laura Mercier. Tossed and learned my lesson.