Honored Contributor

MAKEUP I’M TIRED OF & FINALLY TOSSED

Big clearing out of makeup yesterday. I kept my Bobbi Brown Foundation Stick and Tinted Moisturizer only because I haven’t found anything else as “neutral fair”.  

All other BB got tossed: shadow palettes, lipsticks, glosses, lip pencils and concealers. Most were too old and other things, I’ve moved on and found better products.

I also tossed the few Trish McEvoy products I had left...a few shadows, gel pencils and lipsticks. The gel pencils burned my eyes most of the time and although waterproof and CS said OK for tightlining, this formula bothered my eyes. 

Also in the trash went the IT Naturally Pretty Shadow Palette. I purchased it when first presented & haven’t used it in at least 2 yrs. A few older Tarte palettes went in the trash, too.

These were not split second decisions. I approached it much like my closet cleanse. Every time I reached for something and said “meh”, it went into a separate drawer divider. After the last 6 months of not using these, out they went. 

What makeup have you not used up, but just got tired of using and threw in the trash?

Respected Contributor

Re: MAKEUP I’M TIRED OF & FINALLY TOSSED

@Shanus   I need to do that with a LOT of things, not just makeup.  Every once in awhile I get mad enought at myself for accumulating so much makeup that I start tossing.  I think if it's just sitting there after a year or so, I can easily get rid of it without so much guilt.  I have such a "thing" for eye liners and shadows.......you wouldn't believe my collection of those.  I'm an artist, and I love to play with color!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I am a one hit wonder with make up (and food as well)....once I find something I like I rarely purchase a different brand.  I have a Lancome foundation and BM loose foundation, both are about gone so maybe I should look for something else! Something to consider.

I only wear eyeliner and mascara on my eyes.  Mascara is full n soft because I have not found another (tried a lot) that does not clump or irritate my eyes....Maybeline eyeliner, it stays put so I will stick with it.

I am a minimalist with make up and I do not like having a lot of products sitting in the cabinet just waiting to be used, for me less is more.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Never accumulated large amounts of makeup or clothing. Recently, purge clothes. Amazed by the wonderful feeling....never gets old. 

Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@Shanus   I need to do that with a LOT of things, not just makeup.  Every once in awhile I get mad enought at myself for accumulating so much makeup that I start tossing.  I think if it's just sitting there after a year or so, I can easily get rid of it without so much guilt.  I have such a "thing" for eye liners and shadows.......you wouldn't believe my collection of those.  I'm an artist, and I love to play with color!

@2blonde   Oh, I believe it. As an artist, putting on makeup (myself or others) is play time for me. Luckily lipsticks go bad and pencils dry out in time so they’re easier for me to clear out.

Honored Contributor

Shanus - you brought up excellent points.

I have a drawer of makeup. Many of the items have never been opened. But I doubt I will ever wear the items. Why am I bothering to keep them? The drawer is filled and hard to close. Time to say goodbye.

As you said I have many palettes of eye shadow and lip glosses. I know I will maybe wear one color. So why bother to keep the other 5 colors. Time to purge.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

Shanus - you brought up excellent points.

I have a drawer of makeup. Many of the items have never been opened. But I doubt I will ever wear the items. Why am I bothering to keep them? The drawer is filled and hard to close. Time to say goodbye.

As you said I have many palettes of eye shadow and lip glosses. I know I will maybe wear one color. So why bother to keep the other 5 colors. Time to purge.

@drizzellla   If you love and hate to part w/ a few shadows in a palette of 12 or more you don’t wear, sometimes you can pop them out and put them in a self made Z Palette (magnetic). Blushes and powders, etc. can be placed in there too. YouTube has great videos how to do it.

Honored Contributor

Clearing away the past no matter what it is is just plain painful sometimes.  Intellectually, I know I don't need so much of what I've acquired and kept over the years

That's all well and good, but emotionally, some things are just hard to send on their way -  to the garbage, to other members of the family, to charities.

I've pretty much done all the easy things, but as one of my friends promised me a few years back "It hardly makes a difference!"   My current task is getting rid of a good portion of the high school memorabilia.  It's about time -  went to my 60th reunion a few weeks ago.  I'd promised myself that after it, I'd toss at least half and that will happen.  As soon as I look through it one last time!  I started this morning - just before I read your post @Shanus.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Clearing away the past no matter what it is is just plain painful sometimes.  Intellectually, I know I don't need so much of what I've acquired and kept over the years

That's all well and good, but emotionally, some things are just hard to send on their way -  to the garbage, to other members of the family, to charities.

I've pretty much done all the easy things, but as one of my friends promised me a few years back "It hardly makes a difference!"   My current task is getting rid of a good portion of the high school memorabilia.  It's about time -  went to my 60th reunion a few weeks ago.  I'd promised myself that after it, I'd toss at least half and that will happen.  As soon as I look through it one last time!  I started this morning - just before I read your post @Shanus.

@millieshops  I understand about memorabilia, but I don’t get emotionally attached to makeup. There are some clothing items that really hurt when I had to part with them.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus you are an inspiration!! I have sooooooooo much

makeup and skin care products I could open up a store.

I have tossed new unopened Laura Geller foundation 4 of them and 2 slightly used. I find it cc better as I age. Also tossed mascara that irritate my eyes —-it.

All glittery eyeshadows and all in non neutral colors.

I always promise myself I won’t buy anything new until I use up what I have——-but I buy anyway.