Honored Contributor

Re: MAKEUP I’M TIRED OF & FINALLY TOSSED

@TY wrote:

So I used the website Checkfresh to look up the batch codes on a lot of my existing drugstore makeup like Maybelline and L'Oreal to see how old some of it was aka when was it manufactured because even though I may have bought it a year or less than that, I discovered that some of my drugstore makeup was sitting on the shelves for two years before I ever purchased it. Hmmm...that makes me wonder about the store's inventory turnover. Anyway I decluttered some Maybelline and L'Oreal makeup because I thought it was too old aka more than 3 years old. I did replace a Maybelline Master Contour palette in the light shade (that has a blush, a bronzer, a highlighter trio) with one that was manufactured 6 months ago since it's one of my favorite palettes. I am now looking up batch codes of items before I purchase them to see how old they are.

I decluttered a Too Faced eyeshadow palette I didn't use very much and I donated some unopened boxes of Revlon hair color that I decided not to use.

I also regularly toss out opened mascaras and only keep them for 3 months once they are opened.

@TY   Unfortunately, although better priced, drugstore makeup is exposed to harsh lighting. I think it shortens its shelf life. Higher end products are usually in drawers behind the counters.

Respected Contributor

I have a hard time parting with makeup. Someone needs to pry it from my cold deathgrip. I have so many eyeliners I just need to toss. I buy those zany colors and then all I ever wear is brown!  Why do I bother. I must never buy a bundle again. Laura Geller is always convincing me I can pull off green and gold eyeliner when really I just can't.  

Respected Contributor

I don't have a lot of makeup. I don't wear foundation or concealer or use setting powders, and I don't use powdered eye shadow, just liquid and cream ones. So I don't have a lot to toss, but yesterday I did get rid of an Elf liquid shadow in beige. I don't use multiple shadows on my eyes, just one color, and the beige shade was really close to my natural eyelid color. I got it free with a purchase so I didn't feel bad tossing it. I also have a lavender eyeliner from Colourpop I got free with a purchase. The color is pretty but I can't apply any liner without my eyes watering like crazy so it's going too. 

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

I have a hard time parting with makeup. Someone needs to pry it from my cold deathgrip. I have so many eyeliners I just need to toss. I buy those zany colors and then all I ever wear is brown!  Why do I bother. I must never buy a bundle again. Laura Geller is always convincing me I can pull off green and gold eyeliner when really I just can't.  

@Grouchomarx   Laura showed this on a presentation how to wear colored liner: Put on black or brown first, smudge (or not) & apply the color on top. The darker color on first subdues the brighter ones. My tip: You can also put on a colored liner and set it w/ brown, navy or grey shadow which tones it down. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Grouchomarx wrote:

@Grouchomarx   Laura showed this on a presentation how to wear colored liner: Put on black or brown first, smudge (or not) & apply the color on top. The darker color on first subdues the brighter ones. My tip: You can also put on a colored liner and set it w/ brown, navy or grey shadow which tones it down. 

I am going to try this and see, before I dump them all!  Maybe it'll look fabulous who knows. I'm very tame with eye colors.  Always staying in the neutral zone.

Valued Contributor

We recently moved, and I did a major purge of a lot of makeup I simply did not use/enjoy any more.  I had been holding on to a lot of it because of the money I had invested in some of the high end items, and kept thinking “some day I might use it”. 

Especially as I have gotten older, I only want to use the items that truly enhance. 

I got rid of 5 or 6 eyeshadow palettes (Urban Decay, Lorac, Tarte and IT); several high end powders (Chanel, Bobbi Brown, and by Terry); a dozen lipsticks (Chanel, Bobbi Brown, Estée Lauder, and some drugstore); as well as 3 or 4 foundations; and a number of lip pencils and a couple mascaras (old).  

It was really hard to do when I was doing it, but it felt so good when it was GONE.  I only wish I had done it sooner!

When I reach into my makeup drawer, there are only things I use and love 💕

Frequent Contributor

Coincidentally, I started going through all my makeup last week when having some work done on a bathroom.  I've been putting questionable items in a basket and re-testing them.  

Already tossed some eye shadow pallettes, old pencil liners, and blushes that were too sparkly.  Really...when a product says matte, it should  actually BE matte.  Smiley Wink

Valued Contributor

@Shanus, I’m curious - what items made the cut, other than the BB items you mentioned?

I sooo need to do this. it’s amazing how time flies - I looked at a a BB split pan of bronzer (brownie and Antigua) and thought, that’s not old, but I realized I bought it in 2014!
Honored Contributor

@Fluke67 wrote:
@Shanus, I’m curious - what items made the cut, other than the BB items you mentioned?

I sooo need to do this. it’s amazing how time flies - I looked at a a BB split pan of bronzer (brownie and Antigua) and thought, that’s not old, but I realized I bought it in 2014!

@Fluke67   Do you mean what got tossed or what are my core products that stayed in the drawer? Bobbi Brown or all?

Honored Contributor

I threw away in the garbage all my highschool year books and such years ago.  No one else would want them  so in the garbage they went.