Honored Contributor

Re: MAKEUP I’M TIRED OF & FINALLY TOSSED

[ Edited ]

@GenXmuse wrote:

I’ve had horrible luck with Bobbi Brown and Laura Mercier. Tossed and learned my lesson. 

@GenXmuse   Bobbi Brown just is not the same without her running the company. Her vision, aesthetic and pricing are no longer there. Neither am I. 

I do like LM setting powder and brightening powder for undereye. I also use the Eye Basics as my primer & sometimes as shadow alone. 

Respected Contributor

I just happened to toss an illuminizer compact this morning. Nothing wrong with it but I never use it and likely never will. I’m down to core products and I love having just what I need and like. That being said, I have my fingers crossed for the new IT cosmetics mascara; every drugstore mascara I’ve ever liked has been discontinued. 

Esteemed Contributor

Tossed some myself as I was on a get rid of the bad, and on with the new.  Decided to just stick to the clean beauty brands for awile and see how they do on their own.  Absolutely loving all beekman, also  bare minerals, josie, and t'weaked.  

Too much hype on all the products they claim you need.

I look at my 82 year old mother and she looks absolutely awesome.  Next to no wrinkles and she never bought into the skin care hype.  just moisturize!

My dad is 90 and worked outside his whole life and looks more amazing than my mom!

Spent an absolute fortune on beauty products and really do not think they do any better than the basic clean beauty products.

Esteemed Contributor

So I used the website Checkfresh to look up the batch codes on a lot of my existing drugstore makeup like Maybelline and L'Oreal to see how old some of it was aka when was it manufactured because even though I may have bought it a year or less than that, I discovered that some of my drugstore makeup was sitting on the shelves for two years before I ever purchased it. Hmmm...that makes me wonder about the store's inventory turnover. Anyway I decluttered some Maybelline and L'Oreal makeup because I thought it was too old aka more than 3 years old. I did replace a Maybelline Master Contour palette in the light shade (that has a blush, a bronzer, a highlighter trio) with one that was manufactured 6 months ago since it's one of my favorite palettes. I am now looking up batch codes of items before I purchase them to see how old they are.

I decluttered a Too Faced eyeshadow palette I didn't use very much and I donated some unopened boxes of Revlon hair color that I decided not to use.

I also regularly toss out opened mascaras and only keep them for 3 months once they are opened.

Esteemed Contributor

A nod to @momtodogs and @ECBG -- I've never gotten into the habit of keeping a stash.  I don't buy a new product until the old product is empty.  I like what I like and usually buy the same brands and products over and over again.   I recently tried some new (to me!)  makeup products -- didn't like them, and went back to my same old.  Borrring.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

I just recently tossed an almost finished tube of IT tinted moisture.  I so want to like this brand and the CC creams and creams in the tubes are not for me.  I am not going to order any more of them.  I do have to say that their redness powder is awesome.

Respected Contributor

I quit wearing eyeshadow this summer, just liner & mascara, mostly. I put aside my e/s palettes and, if I don't use them by the end of the year, I'll toss them. I tossed several Bare Minerals lip glosses recently...decided they were just too shimmery for my 64 y/o lips. I do have a set of Buxom glosses--half w/shimmer, half without--that I like a lot. They are what I use most, over a lip stain.

I bought Laura Geller's Super Cheek palette recently, and love it! The highlighters and bronzers make great eyeshadows if I feel the need. The two cheek colors are really pretty, too, and it's so handy having all that in one palette.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Big clearing out of makeup yesterday. I kept my Bobbi Brown Foundation Stick and Tinted Moisturizer only because I haven’t found anything else as “neutral fair”.  

All other BB got tossed: shadow palettes, lipsticks, glosses, lip pencils and concealers. Most were too old and other things, I’ve moved on and found better products.

I also tossed the few Trish McEvoy products I had left...a few shadows, gel pencils and lipsticks. The gel pencils burned my eyes most of the time and although waterproof and CS said OK for tightlining, this formula bothered my eyes. 

Also in the trash went the IT Naturally Pretty Shadow Palette. I purchased it when first presented & haven’t used it in at least 2 yrs. A few older Tarte palettes went in the trash, too.

These were not split second decisions. I approached it much like my closet cleanse. Every time I reached for something and said “meh”, it went into a separate drawer divider. After the last 6 months of not using these, out they went. 

What makeup have you not used up, but just got tired of using and threw in the trash?

@Shanus . I usually do that at least once a year, but try for twice a year. I haven't purchased much new Makeup, just replenished Foundation, Powder, Mascara, and of course lippies.....Before Summer, I went through  mine and threw out all old makeup that I hadn't used in over 6 months or more. It just takes up space, and I have really streamlined my routine...It feels good to do that too! 

Frequent Contributor

I too find it hard to throw things (especially makeup) away, mostly because I know I have spent ALOT of money on them! About a year ago, I did go through my stash and threw out everything that was old/rancid and some drugstore shadows etc. that were too shimmery for me, and that alone was liberating LOL! But for the rest of my stash (and this includes makeup, skincare and hair products), I made myself keep it and use it and not buy anything else until I do, mainly because I should be ashamed for spending so much and in a sense being wasteful! I can say it has been going great, and I look forward to throwing away the empty containers Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@hellokitty wrote:

I just recently tossed an almost finished tube of IT tinted moisture.  I so want to like this brand and the CC creams and creams in the tubes are not for me.  I am not going to order any more of them.  I do have to say that their redness powder is awesome.

@hellokitty   I’ve tried several versions of the Tinted Moisturizers, Foundations and CC creams (a few types of these). Colors vary, coverage not right for me in any of them and they all felt heavy. I gave up, as well.