Honored Contributor

I keep seeing comments indicating serious confusion with how well any makeup will cover flaws.  This isn't rocket science.   It's actually quite easy.

Foundations (liquid and powder) are always categorized as LIGHT,  MEDIUM  and  FULL coverage.   If you have some serious imperfections that you want to cover, then consider just the products that are FULL COVERAGE.   

IMO, there needs to be more distinctions made with the undertone of foundations ......   warm (yellow),  cool (pink) or neutral undertones.   

From what I've seen on QVC, they have too many yellow based foundations.  Not everyone here has a yellow skin tone.   JMO

Honored Contributor

Re: MAKEUP COVERAGE CONFUSION

My heart leaver finally worked.  I agree, this one size fits all philosophy in foundations just isn't working for some of us.  It, for example.  Too yellow.  Laura Geller, way too yellow.  The only line I can buy with confidence is Bare Minerals, and that is the powder. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass wrote:

My heart leaver finally worked.  I agree, this one size fits all philosophy in foundations just isn't working for some of us.  It, for example.  Too yellow.  Laura Geller, way too yellow.  The only line I can buy with confidence is Bare Minerals, and that is the powder. 

@depglass

Bobbie Brown foundations are all yellow based.  What about the other women?  The Q needs to offer more cool and neutral foundations.

Honored Contributor

@depglass

Glad your heart leaver is working!   lol

Esteemed Contributor

Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I keep seeing comments indicating serious confusion with how well any makeup will cover flaws.  This isn't rocket science.   It's actually quite easy.

Foundations (liquid and powder) are always categorized as LIGHT,  MEDIUM  and  FULL coverage.   If you have some serious imperfections that you want to cover, then consider just the products that are FULL COVERAGE.   

IMO, there needs to be more distinctions made with the undertone of foundations ......   warm (yellow),  cool (pink) or neutral undertones.   

From what I've seen on QVC, they have too many yellow based foundations.  Not everyone here has a yellow skin tone.   JMOJMO

@Tinkrbl44,

I was minutes ago explaining to friend, I have pink undertones, so was told I need a Neutral... Am light but not

.......pale porcelain.

Called one major cosmetic counter and she definitely recommended MAC......

Do not want heavy coverage- have no imperfections, no loss of tone or having wrinkles, BUT do need some light covering with using a strong pink blush.

Do you know of any one particular line that may fit this need? Thought about Laura MERCIER (?)...is that the correct spelling? I have hear so many YAYS of this fluidity.

Not to be confused with minerals or LG talc foundation... Or B&B compacts...too drying.

Normal balanced skin.

Was using Tova - the best for me ..unfortunately her formula is discontinued and Tova is - now- in some mineral based. Not interested.

When I find anything I trust, I buy triple.

" just browsing when I read your post".....

TIA.

NAES

PS: had mentioned to friend....going to try in being color matched. Really rather order on phone or on line.

Finding the correct hues IS a hassle for me. Has not been a `Necessary purchase for me in over 4 years.

!!!!!!!!!?    And not interested in drugstore coloring, I don't believe........

Honored Contributor

ITA!

Where are the products for neutrals?  Sometimes mentioned as an afterthought.   I think neutral is it's own catagory, certainly the pinks and yellows don't don't work on me.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

ITA!

Where are the products for neutrals?  Sometimes mentioned as an afterthought.   I think neutral is it's own catagory, certainly the pinks and yellows don't don't work on me.

L'oreal color match products have neutrals.I am fair but not porcelain natural redhead. I also have freckles I like to at least soften the look of. Can't wear yellow or pink - I am currently wearing N5 because I have a tan from swimming almost every day.In the winter when I don't swim much I wear N3. The coverage on this product is fine for me. I like my makeup light - don't like a really made up look. This is the closest to perfect makeup I have come across in a long time and it is a drugstore product! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

ITA!

@Drythe   @NAES1

If you haven't already seen it, go to the Bare Minerals Original foundation page and click on the tab that says Shade Finder.   I think most people can find themselves in one of those shades, and it's a good  running start, even if you don't want BM mineral makeup.   

Honored Contributor

@NAES1

Years ago, I had my "colors" done and learned a few valuable things .... first that yellow gold tone jewelry isn't as flattering on pink toned skin as silver jewelry is ....  and I look much better wearing ivory than stark white.  I mention this because it was when I really zeroed in on skin tone shades and the idiosyncrasies of finding that right shade ... of anything.

At this point, I mix my own makeup .... I start with a Neutral Bare Minerals base, and depending on the time of year here in Southern California, I add the appropriate amounts of a darker (tan) tone powder, a smidge of a pink or rosy tone and always a little "luminous" powder to give my face a little sheen.   A true matte makeup looks muddy on me.   I have even added some Bisque to my batch, to give a little more coverage.  Right now I have about 20 containers of all different shades of mineral powder, always staying away from the yellowish tan colors.     Once I bought a translucent powder that had an SPF 50, to add to my summer batches, and wish I could find more.

Frankly, mixing my own little batches of mineral makeup is the only way I can get the exact shade I need, whether I've been in the sun a lot, or it's the cooler months and I'm a shade or two lighter.   When I'm mixing a new batch, I always do it mid day so I can step outside and check the final color of my mixture.

I doubt this helps you, but wanted to share what has been working for me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44

I had my colors done years ago also.  That's how I know I'm a no pink, no yellow Neutral.  

One tip I got was never wear anything white that is lighter than your teeth around your face.  : O /  strange, but probably true.

Used to mix my own too, but the base I used has been discontinued and now I'm trying to go 'Not tested on animals'.  It's hard.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras