Respected Contributor

Re: MAKEUP COLORS NEVER WHAT THEY CLAIM!

Before ordering makeup online I go to the company's website and check the colors there.  Sometimes you can get a better idea.  

Honored Contributor

I am trying something new this week. I'm taking my bottle of foundation I have now and comparing the color to any new foundation I want to try.  So far nothing else is working for me so I figure it's worth a try!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@monicakm wrote:

@timeless 

I haven't had the best of luck in Ulta. It's been a long time since I've been in a Sephora or Ulta though. I've done all my shopping online since 2020. I did feel like I was being ignored when I used to shop at Ulta. Sephora was always very helpful.

@monicakm  @JerseyJ    I always try to "hook up" with a sales person at the various counters in dept. stores, Sephora, etc. If I'm lucky enough that they stay, I'm recgonized when I approach them and they are willing to give me their time to help.

Foundation and face products in person only...take the samples outside in sunlight...not on my hand, but on my jawline and forehead. 

Most of my skincare is only available online except for my Kiehl's.

Respected Contributor

True about the colors very often not being exact, but the WORST of the worst are the colors BB shows of their products.  I actually wrote to them about that and told them that the colors that they feature are SO OFF,  it's like a totally different pallette.  This is especially true of their lipsticks.  Don't they even check???

Respected Contributor

I agree...colors online are never what they are in person.   No more eyeshadow, blush, or lipstick.  I'm so disappointed with the last few items I purchased. 

I just went through a very frustrating experience with ulta too.  I ordered Han blush online.  The color what not a Baby Pink, it was a dusty rose.  So I brought it into Ulta.  I didn't have an order #, or receipt,  so they check my order history with my phone #...after almost 1 hour they couldn't find any purchases I made!  I gave the date and items purchased,  no help.  They just kept saying we don't have any purchases on record.   I went home, called, also went on live chat...it was the most ridiculous discussion with them.  They kept asking the same question over and over after I explained everything in detail.   So....nothing they would do because they don't have my order history,  and there's nothing on my account either...just says, no orders. 

I wrote to the supervisor and told them, I won't be ordering anything from Ulta online.

No more make up, that's for sure. 

Respected Contributor

I just received a set of Tarte eyeshadow sticks and they are not the colors shown on the screen. Disappointed!

Honored Contributor

@JerseyJ wrote:

OK ... I should have learned my lesson long ago..... now I give up buying makeup, blush, lipcolor, eyeshadow and anything else.... the colors are never the same as they appear on screen or online. Everyone knows that it doesn't pay to return with the $6.95 fee on most of the orders. I just got a set of 4 Tartlette shadow sticks - I thought that 2 of them were cooler taupe and a violet/brown mix which I could use but they turned out to be very warm metallics - not good for my skin tone. The other too are gold and bronze. From now on, off to Ulta I go to pay full price- at least I'll have what I need. I'm angry enough with QVC - I suspect that next they will have only high end cosmetic products and beauty gadgets and I'm keeping my money in my pocket.

@JerseyJ 

Whether it's makeup, clothing or ... whatever .... guessing exact colors is still a kwap shoot.  Too many variables with computer monitors, etc.   If you can swing by your local Ulta or Macy's to eyeball the color, find a retailer that offers free returns.

Of course, I have bought lipsticks in clear packaging at the drug store and even then the color on my lips was nothing like I thought it would be.   

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@monicakm wrote:

@timeless 

I haven't had the best of luck in Ulta. It's been a long time since I've been in a Sephora or Ulta though. I've done all my shopping online since 2020. I did feel like I was being ignored when I used to shop at Ulta. Sephora was always very helpful.

@monicakm  @JerseyJ    I always try to "hook up" with a sales person at the various counters in dept. stores, Sephora, etc. If I'm lucky enough that they stay, I'm recgonized when I approach them and they are willing to give me their time to help.

Foundation and face products in person only...take the samples outside in sunlight...not on my hand, but on my jawline and forehead. 

Most of my skincare is only available online except for my Kiehl's.

I often have difficulty with colors even in the store, especially lippies.

For foundation, at least with Sephora, I like to get a sample to take home rather than let them apply it to me to judge in the store or even walking outside.  I can usually get 2 or 3 tries out of a sample.