Honored Contributor

Re: MAKEUP CHANGES SINCE NOT WEARING MASKS?

@skittles2 

I'm glad you have found some products which help you! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

Here's a question --- Anyone here who is still wearing masks, do you think this has caused any problems with your complexion?  I don't think it's the only issue with mine, but I do think it has contributed.  I often get so hot when I have mine on.  I have very sensitive skin anyway and my skin is easily provoked.  I don't wear any makeup under my mask because I figure this could cause more issues.  But I do wear a light moisturizer.  

@AngelPuppy1   When I had to wear a mask every time I left the house, I did lighten up on my skincare and made up for it at night. I found, for me, that heavy moisturizers and my active serums caused irritation and even Retin A too many nights would cause a lot of unwanted dryness during the day. 

When I know I'll be wearing a mask for many hours (took my GD to the ballet and had to wear it from the time I entered the bldg. until we left...4 hours) and I also greet clients w/o my mask on and then wear it when I'm close to them, so if I see 3 clients in a row, it's a lot of mask time. 

I found a little trick that seems to help. After I apply my tinted moisturizer over minimal skincare and my usual spf, I apply a primer to seal everything in. It not only keeps my makeup in place by sealing it in, but creates a barrier between my face and mask. 

There is a condition aptly named "mask-ne" where the face breaks out from wearing a mask. Most of the time, makeup needs to be cut to a minimum, try using an oil absorbing setting powder and most importantly...clean masks each time or wear the disposable ones and toss after each wearing. Cleansing the face thoroughly is the number one best cure.

Honored Contributor

@kate2357 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 

I did notice I started to get a few "bumps" around my mouth that can become small pimples. I think for me what caused it was the chapstick I use got smeared around and the wax clogged the pores, etc. Because I caught it quickly, I was able to prevent the bumps from becoming too big and gross. I did attribute it to wearing my mask for a bit longer than normal. I try to remember now not to put on the chapstick right before the mask. I also changed out what mask I wear so it's not so quite as hot as the one I had been using before.

When I know I am going to wear a mask, I personally don't put on moisturizer until I come back home. I put on a Vitamin C serum and Hyrdoshield and both of those dry down quickly. Go do my thing w/ the mask, come home and put on a light moisturizer.

@kate2357   I found chapstick irritating even before masks. It stays on the surface of the lips instead of actually sinking in and preventing dryness. I changed to Aquafor (the small tube that says "for severely dry lips"). It actually stays on the lip area when lightly rubbed in and given time to sink in before putting on any other lip product. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I wear disposable masks only!  I wear a light bit of moisturizer when I am wearing a mask because if I don't wear any, not matter with or without a mask, my skin gets very red and lights up like a Christmas tree!  I might try your tips though with wearing a tinted moisturizer and setting it and maybe this will protect my skin from the mask!  Thanks! 

Honored Contributor

@kate2357 

I wear a tinted lip balm which is very light and haven't had an issue with that --- so far.  I am so glad that I retired before all of this started because wearing a mask all day long at work for over 8 hours -- would have been a real nightmare for my skin!  I just pray that some day in the not too distance future we won't have to deal with this any more!  

Esteemed Contributor

Honestly, I wear no makeup at all.

I do have some lip balms that I enjoy, and I can wear those now, though I enjoy not being tethered to the tube, so mostly I go natural.

I remember watching America's Next Top Model and realizing that the mood gets set with attitude and comportment, not necessarily highlighter and concealer.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia....

Beauty is an attitude, have a good one.
* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Honestly, I wear no makeup at all.

I do have some lip balms that I enjoy, and I can wear those now, though I enjoy not being tethered to the tube, so mostly I go natural.

I remember watching America's Next Top Model and realizing that the mood gets set with attitude and comportment, not necessarily highlighter and concealer.

No matter how good my attitude is, I look better with a little makeup.  

Honored Contributor

I wear masks about 50% of the time around here.  Unfortunately my makeup habits are still for masking.  Meaning I've gotten out of the habit of wearing foundation and I should.  There are three larger pale sunspots and uneven blotching that should be dealt with.  All I need is a silicone primer, some BE foundation, and Glee to replace the blotchiness.  I've really gotten lazy, so I squint my eyes at the mirror and say I'll be just fine with mascara and eyebrow pencil.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

Your post made me think of a question I have.   I wear glasses & the bridge of my nose always gets the little intentions from the rubber thingys.  Is there any beauty product that may help keep them less noticeable when I remove my glasses?

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.