Honored Contributor

Re: MAC show, who’s watching?

My conclusion is to stick to BE.  I thought it would be nice to try Mac, but shadewise this is a cr*pshoot at this point.  

Esteemed Contributor

The cool/warm identification was confusing to me, too.

But another way to tell is what colors to wear are you naturally drawn to and look best on you?

My veins are every color. I know I am neutral, but on the cool side. I do not look the best in, what are considered, warm shades.

My lip shades are really quite varied.

However, if I were choosing a foundation, I would need one that does not have a yellow base.

I actually thought their foundation shades were off on some of the models.

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Another thought on another subject:  They are saying cool and warm just the opposite from what I've always thought.  Like I'm pink and I think I'm cool.  Meaning yellow undertones are warm.  Anyone ? ? ?

@depglass   It's confusing because more women than cosmetic lines realize fall into the neutral category. I should be a cool, but if foundations are too pink, lipsticks and blush too rosey, my fair complexion takes on a flushed appearance. I choose neutral if available or purchase cool and warm and blend with shadows, look for peachy pink blush that makes it neutral. 

Most foundations have a yellow base...some more than others. They color correct by cutting out redness. If you've ever seen a color wheel, red is the opposite of yellow...both primary colors that when mixed form shades of peach/orange...skin tone when light or dark when darker pigments are added. Scientific, but the way the foundations are formulated.

Skip if not interested: If I'm painting a portrait, mixing colors to get a skin tone shade, I never start with pink. Red and yellow and white and burnt sienna (a medium brown) go on the palette. The careful mixing/combining begins with yellow and red. White is added until a light pink is achieved, more yellow for olive skin tones. For darker skins, the burnt sienna is added in increments to darken the mix. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Memebell wrote:

Kinda complicated.   Look at veins in your wrist.  If they are bluish/purplish you are a warm or W.    If they are greenish, you are a cool or a C.   Then look for your general family in the pics for the product.  Pick out a face you think looks like your skin.  

@Memebell   Excuse me for the correction, but the purple/blue veining is Cool and green is Warm. If you can't tell or it looks like a combination of both, your skin tone is Neutral.  Then the decision is lighter to darker in the shade range.

Honored Contributor

@Gshopping wrote:

I'm watching! I was so excited, BUT now something is driving me batty.  They were talking about how you can tell if you have warm or cool undertones to your skin, and the advice they gave is incorrect. If you you look at the veins in your forearms and they appear to be closer to a shade of green, then you are a "WARM tone". If you see blue, then you're a "COOL tone". 
I was a makeup artist and a painter, I've taken numerous classes over the years and GREEN veins have always indicated warm undertones and BLUE indicated you had cool undertones. The MAC Studios I have been also educate warm=green veins, cool=blue veins and neutral skin may have both. 

I'm completely bewildered with tonight's presentation. 

@Gshopping You're correct. Either the host or vendors are a bit nervous with the first presentation or just anxious to sell and speaking before thinking. 

Honored Contributor

I only use one MAC brush...# 217. I have 4 of them. It's technically an eye shadow blending brush, but the shape & softness of bristles, I can also use it to apply powder around small areas like nostrils and then dust off, apply shadow...all steps. This brush is very versatile. 

Honored Contributor

I watched, and enjoyed the show!!!!!! my daughter uses MAC makeup exclusively and loves it. I love their lip products, and I used to use their foundation, haven't tried the foundation again in years, may have to give it a try again when I need some more.....

I think Shawn did a great job and the vendors also did a great job explaining. There were a few times where there was dead air, but I think that has a lot to do with using Skype! I also love Twig lip color as well as Creme in Coffee-another beautiful color! Oh! is another popular one.....  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Memebell wrote:

@Gshopping If you look at the video under the foundation powder, it explains how they approach color.   The way they have explained it is exactly as they intended.    They are using sort of the inverse of what everyone else does. 

@Memebell  ...and because of their formulations and shade confusion I've never found a MAC foundation I can wear. Many clients have difficulty, as well. 

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Another thought on another subject:  They are saying cool and warm just the opposite from what I've always thought.  Like I'm pink and I think I'm cool.  Meaning yellow undertones are warm.  Anyone ? ? ?

@depglass Yes, and it is confusing because with every other makeup line I was always told that green veins means warm! So it is hard to grasp this way with MAC.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Someone asked about favorite products. I've used the Studio Fix Setting Spray (in many ways) in more years than I remember. Their lipsticks are great, but find the matte formulas too drying. Lip pencils some of the best in the business because they're long lasting and endless range of shades. The shadow libraries...sold out last night...are great. The one last night was more universal. If it comes back...great for cool/warm tones (therefore called neutral) and the kind of palette I tend to mix and match shades before I apply. *MUA rarely  apply just one shade. 

I enjoy the shadows because I pop them out or purchase individually and create my own personally magnetized palette. 

***Easy pay is not an advantage to me to wait for a few weeks and pay shipping and return charges if don't like the product. Nordstrom is free both ways and arrives in 3-4 days. Since this was a premiere show, it should have been free ship to induce more sales to introduce a new line of cosmetics to some.