Super Contributor

Re: MAC show, who’s watching?

@Shanus wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

I did think Shawn looked too orange, she said she wanted to look tan, but I found it to be too orange. she did ask the guest what she thought of her choice of color and the guest kind of danced around it, and gave her no definitive response.

I have never tried MAC for myself, but when I paid a fortune to a pro for makeup for my daughter's wedding, she said she used all MAC on me, it did look nice, especially on the pictures. My daughter's MIL wrote down all the products and shades the pro used on her and planned on buying them for herself.  

@Shelbelle   @CANDLEQUEEN  It looked like Shawn was color correcting/changing shades to look tan with her foundation. That's a big no! Self tan if you want to look tan or use bronzer lightly...she went overboard there, too. Foundation must match your skin...at the time...not the shade you'd like to be. 

And Shawn kept talking over the professionals to say that people should wear foundation that is the tan color that they want to be and that foundation should not match your skin color. Good grief.

Super Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

In general, MAC and Urban Decay are more theatrical in shades of makeup and techniques. Their shades are brighter in shadows, blushes and foundations have more coverage. Neither is known to give a natural no makeup look. Just a bit of advice when purchasing. 

I have a ton of friends and coworkers who wear nothing but MAC, and they all have very natural, neutral daytime/work palattes. They are the most natural, prettiest makeup wearers that I've seen. MAC has a vast selection of colors and palattes.

Trusted Contributor

When I first discovered MAC over 30 years ago I too noticed the disparity of their description in reference to "cool" and "warm" tones.  MAC is the complete opposite of everything we know in the makeup world --  MAC's warm = pink  and  cool = yellow  based.

I'm convinced the creator of the line was a dislexic makeup artist/formulator.

Regular Contributor

Fitfuninformed- many thanks explaining that Mac uses warm and cool backwards; I was so confused by the Mac person's explanation!

Super Contributor

I thought the vendors were nervous ....I guess....didn't know how to handle virtual speaking...need to wait before talking or answering ...don't jump in with one or two word comments....its distracting and you miss out on important points about the product...the one describing eye shadow I think her name was Iris it seem to me she was talking more about the eyeshadow brush than the product itself.....which was not even being offered... description of colors were poor..... on camera pictures were hard to distinguish one from the other.....

Honored Contributor

@HeatherAG wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

In general, MAC and Urban Decay are more theatrical in shades of makeup and techniques. Their shades are brighter in shadows, blushes and foundations have more coverage. Neither is known to give a natural no makeup look. Just a bit of advice when purchasing. 

I have a ton of friends and coworkers who wear nothing but MAC, and they all have very natural, neutral daytime/work palattes. They are the most natural, prettiest makeup wearers that I've seen. MAC has a vast selection of colors and palattes.

@HeatherAG , I've had a number of MAC makeovers and I always told them what type of look I was going for and they easily put it together.  I had a night out look done as well as a work appropriate look.  However, both looks were more over the top if you will, than other counters I'd had make-overs at.  What they considered work appropriate for an office setting wasn't the same as what Chanel considered work appropriate.  LOL    I loved my MAC make-overs but they were definitely different and I got the feeling at the time work appropriate wasn't their jam.  

The entire MAC counter had a very different vibe than the rest of the counters in the dept. store.  It was a lot more lively and their make-up artists were more over the top both in the way they dressed and how their make-up was done.    

Unfortunately, our free standing MAC store closed during the pandemic and will not be re-opening.

Respected Contributor

I buys lots of Mac make up.  I just bought several items for my daughter's wedding we just had this Sunday, 4th.  Everything held up great in the extreme humidity here in Florida.  I especially love the eye shadows, eye and lip liners.  I bought the eye primer and its wonderful.  I like their lipsticks alot too, huge selection of colors.  I use Prep and Prime under my eyes and its fantastic. I wouldn't buy from a shopping channel, I buy in the store.  You can see shades and they take returns with no problem. 

Respected Contributor

@SuhseK I did not watch the show but did purchase a TWIG lipstick at Marshalls this past weekend for $7.99.  I snapped that sucker up as it is one of my favorites.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I have used MAC in the past and I do have some lipsticks in my collection now.  I was never a big fan of MAC foundations although it has been a very long time since I've tried any.  The shadows I purchased were nice but nothing I had to repurchase.  At the time I was using MAC more regularly, I didn't care for any of its mascaras.

One of their lipsticks "O" was a go to shade for me.  I absolutely loved it and went through multiple tubes of that lipstick.  Now I cannot stand it on me.  LOL  Looking at the shade I still think it's a gorgeous color but something about my skintone or taste changed and I find it too dark for me.  

@Lipstickdiva  That happened to me as well, not with MAC but a lipstick with another brand called Raspberry Ice, years ago it was absolutely gorgeous, and I loved it, several years ago, I tried it again and it was horrible on me. I don't know if their formula changed or what but it was not the same.....I know "O" is a huge seller for MAC, or at least it used to be! I don't care for MAC's mascaras either........ 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I often buy high end cosmetics on Ebay, am I to assume that there is a lot of MAC on there that is not authentic, how do you know?? TIA.