Honored Contributor

It was no wonder that Shawn kept saying if you get the shade wrong, exchanges are free. 

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I have never used MAC, but when she said they offer over 50 shades of foundation, I was done, I could never put myself thru that, unless I was in the store, and a pro figured it out for me. 

And I didnt know how to classify myself, first time out in the sun, I burn and get red, after that I get a beautiful tan. 

@Shelbelle   I don't care how MAC lists their foundations, they're WRONG, in my book. If you go out in the sun and burn, you're most likely cool. Olive skin is warm!!!

Respected Contributor

I can't explain Mac's reasons for their colors. It's supposedly an "art thing", but if you decide to try Mac, which I highly recommed, it's pretty simple.

C=Yellow tone

N=Neutral/beige

NC=Neutral leaning yellow

NW=Neutral leaning pink/peach

Then the numbers represent light to dark shades. The lower the number, the paler the shade.

There is a lot of information out there about Mac colors, so if you are interested it is easy to search for.

I am fair neutral with peach tones so my best match is NW4.5, but I switch around & it usually works. I can wear NW13-NW20 & sometimes I have worn an NC15 or mixed two of them together.

That is in the Studio Fix Fluid. 

Studio Fix Powder, I wear an N4, but again, I can play around with the color & it works.

If you go to Ulta or a Mac counter they can match you, but always trust yourself! If you think the color is too dark/light/yellow/pink, speak up.

Everyone's eye sees color differently & if you are looking to tone down a color in your complexion you know what is working best for you.

Trust your instincts. The SA will do the best job they can, but if you disagree just say so.

The SFF, pump & brush is a nice set, if you are looking at that.

Mac's eye shadows are my favorite. I use other brands, but I do love Mac.

Love their lip products, love their mascara, love their fragrance-Turquatic, love the foundation, love the Paint Pots, love their Tweezers.

Honored Contributor

RE the Mac Show: Bronzer and contour shades are way different...also different purposes. A contour should be in a  greyish tone to create a "shadow". Bronzers miimick where the sun would hit...high points of the face. Contours go on the more "hollow areas"...under the cheekbones, chistle the jawline, etc. The sun (a bronzer) would never hit there.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

I have never used MAC, but when she said they offer over 50 shades of foundation, I was done, I could never put myself thru that, unless I was in the store, and a pro figured it out for me. 

And I didnt know how to classify myself, first time out in the sun, I burn and get red, after that I get a beautiful tan. 

@Shelbelle   I don't care how MAC lists their foundations, they're WRONG, in my book. If you go out in the sun and burn, you're most likely cool. Olive skin is warm!!!

My son has olive skin, he was tan even as an infant!! One minute in the sun and he has a gorgeous tan. He is grown now but I still remind him he still needs a good sunscreen. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@beach-mom   MAC's color codes for shades is the most confusing of any makeup line. In other lines, NC is neutral cool, NW is a neutral warm...MAC is way off w/ shades. it's one makeup line that's difficult to purchase unless you try on foundations. 

Not too long ago, they changed the numbers on their foundations and, to me, reversed the cool and warms. I've had many discussions w/ their MUAs and they agree it's way too confusing!

@Shanus - I couldn't agree with you more! And I know you know skin and makeup!

That's why when I did wear it at one time I found it easiest to classify shades by what the two artists told me that I posted above! I wore "neutral-cool" because I was warm and my skin needed cool. Or I could go with what the other artist said and think "NC" means "not cool." It's funny how the different artists explain it! 

But when I heard her say last night cool complexions always tan? That is not right at all. DD goes outside and she will get pink. It was hard for her when she was a teenager and all of her friends were brown in the summer. She used to cry about her paleness, but I told her one day she would appreciate it! She's "almost" getting to that point. Some women just don't look their best with a tan. Would Snow White? LOL!

So I have to disagree with Iris!  Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom    I agree with disagreeing with Iris. If she had explained that the warm and cool shade definitions that she was using were just for MAC colors that might have made more sense. But she said right off the bat that if you are fair and burn easily you are a warm and need a NW or a W shade. I don't remember if she said that the warm shades makeup have yellow or gold as a base.  The color wheel lists yellows and oranges as warm not cool. The more that I think about what MAC is trying to is a bunch of malarkey. I still can't understand why a company would want to come up with something so confusing that consumers will just be turned off and not purchase the products. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

MAC is owned by Estée Lauder. The brands are probably on Q because most big box department stores are way down in sales and many are closing. EL and all their lines have to go somewhere and Q customers are an older demographic that matches with EL's. 

I had figured out my MAC foundation shade but the liquid foundation I bought was not moisturizing enough for my very dry skin. They have more foundations now. At the time I bought, the MAC bottle could break very easily. I'm assuming that they fixed the thin glass problem by now. 

I'm currently using a Lancôme liquid foundation, Regenerie, for dry skin and wrinkles, but it's already discontinued, so I'll be trying Estée Lauder's new foundation for dry skin, Futrist Hydra Rescue, when the Lancôme bottle is empty. I need the most coverage I can get. I never use a primer either. The original Estée Lauder Futurist was hands down the best foundation I've ever tried. Full coverage, no transfer, long lasting, sweat proof, not hot, never settled in lines, natural looking, never looked heavy on. Oh how I wish this was still being made. 

Honored Contributor

@teachergal wrote:

MAC is not correct in their definition of "cool" "warm" tones.  It is just the opposite of what the MAC rep. is saying.  Cool tone is pinkish undertone, burns easily.  Warm tone is golden undertone and tans easily.  They are just wrong in their explaination of cool and warm tones.

@teachergal @They are the opposite of what all other lines provide. You can get it right if you just think opposite what you usually get. It's kind of crazy, I know. 

Esteemed Contributor

It's more clear and simple to explain if your wrist veins are blue, you are cool and if they are green, you're warm. And, if veins are both bluish/green, you're neutral.