Respected Contributor

NC: Neutral Cool – golden beige undertones.

NW: Neutral Warm – red, pink or blue undertones.

N: Neutral – beige undertones.

The N stands for neutral....How is warm with red pink or blue undertones.

It could drive you crazy.

Respected Contributor

So when Iris said warm burns it is because warm is really cool......Cool is really warm.....

Respected Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

So when Iris said warm burns it is because warm is really cool......Cool is really warm.....

Yep that pretty much sums it up it with no explanation as to how they came up with this. 

Respected Contributor

TOO many choices and totally confusing!   Why propose the opposite of mainstream definitions of warm/ cool?  Makes no sense, so not buying...

Esteemed Contributor

It is indeed backwards from how we define warm & cool undertones.

I am a true neutral. If I were going for this foundation, I would be totally confused, too. I get the feeling if I were color matched, one "artist" would have me in warm, (their warm) and another "artist" would have me in cool.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

I'm watching the show. Iris is beautiful, but I have to disagree about who burns in the sun. I thought at one time I had this shade selection figured out. I actually had a MAC store artist tell me NC meant "not cool." Another one told me NC meant "needs cool."

Here's what I know. I am warm. I used to wear NC 20. I have honey blonde hair (growing up- now it's lighter!). I have hazel eyes. I look good in fall colors- gold, russet, teal, and olive, and cream. I don't look good in white. When I was young I was in the sun more. I would burn, but eventually tan a little.

When DD was a young teen she wanted MAC. (I never wore it until she did. thought the line wasn't for me until I went in to get her a set for a gift and the artist talked me into trying it. Twist my arm- LOL!). She is cool complected.She wears NW 15. She is "Nicole Kidman " fair and looks great in white, silver, bright blue, She has dirty blonde hair (that is colored brown with red highlights) and green eyes. She has finally accepted the fact that she will never tan, and embraces her beautiful light skin! 

Obviously I'm no expert, but MAC has always confused me, and still does!  Smiley Wink

@beach-mom   MAC's color codes for shades is the most confusing of any makeup line. In other lines, NC is neutral cool, NW is a neutral warm...MAC is way off w/ shades. it's one makeup line that's difficult to purchase unless you try on foundations. 

Not too long ago, they changed the numbers on their foundations and, to me, reversed the cool and warms. I've had many discussions w/ their MUAs and they agree it's way too confusing!

Honored Contributor

IMHO, foundations, concealers, correctors are the MOST important products on the face to get exactly right! I've always thought that all makeup lines need to have the same color codes and names across the board, so if you're a Cool 101 (for example) and want to change foundations, the names/numbers would be the same. 

Respected Contributor

Surprised people are still buying the line with all this mish-mosh confusion... Maybe that's why they are now on the Q (decreasing customer base)? 

Honored Contributor

I have never used MAC, but when she said they offer over 50 shades of foundation, I was done, I could never put myself thru that, unless I was in the store, and a pro figured it out for me. 

And I didnt know how to classify myself, first time out in the sun, I burn and get red, after that I get a beautiful tan. 

Honored Contributor

I did watch a little of the MAC show last night and totally agree about the multitude of foundation colors---very confusing--I was told that I am a warm/ light---I tan easily but  get  red first--but could burn like like crazy if I was in the sun all day and did in my youth--always wear sunscreen now-- have brown/grey hair and hazel eyes--- would have to go into a mac store for a color match and would never try to buy any shade on my own.